Thread: Codecs Vs Viewers

Hi. I did some research to learn that a codec is pretty much an algorithm used to encode/decode media on the fly.

What I don't understand is if a codec is a simple reference file that can be used by multiple applications or I'd have to download the appropriate incarnation of that codec for each media-playing application I intend to use.

At present I downloaded an application that plays my media but is not the application I want to use -- but the app I want to use can't play my media! Any info would be appreciated.

2. Movies & TV   -   #2
    Darth Sushi's Avatar Sushi Lord
    Telling us the app and the type of media you're using will help narrow down the answer. AVI, MPEG, RM, WMP ???????

3. Movies & TV   -   #3
    i second darth sushi's emotion. the problem may be that the program is simply not designed to play certain file types at all, whether or not you have the correct codec installed. for example realmedia can only be opened with realplayer, quicktime files can only be opened with the quicktime player, etc.

we understand your question, but the details you gave are vague, palpate. if you'd tell us precisely what file type you're trying to play with which player, your question would get answered much faster. the more specific the question is, the better.

if you say it like this, people will be able to give you better advice: "why can't i play _________ (type of file) with _________ (program)? i've installed the ________ codec, and it's not working."

4. Movies & TV   -   #4
    thanks for the responses. i am new to this and guess my desire to understand what codecs are all about interfered with me giving application- and file-specific information.

i am trying to play AVI file. i have "audiogalaxy", "windows media player", and "bsplayer" installed. i find that my file only plays properly with bsplayer. are there limits to the codecs that are included with specific programs or ways to configure programs to recognized new codecs?

also, while we are on the subject... what are your favorite avi-media players?

many thanks.

5. Movies & TV   -   #5
    Darth Sushi's Avatar Sushi Lord
    Yes there are limits to the codec. Each codecs is designed to play certain files. Most of us here have something like K-Lite Codec Pack, which just about every codec you'll ever need. WMP will always have limitations. I prefer Media Player Classic and ZoomPlayer. Check out sites like http://www.doom9.org/ and http://www.dvdrhelp.com/ to learn more about codecs, DivX, XviD, players, bla, bla, bla.