Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Ho hum, another huge hurricane...

peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Its why its called a global problem , and why the Kyoto Protocol is so important . Why won't the Americans sign it ?

2. The Drawing Room   -   #52
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by Rat Faced
    Well... since the USA accounts for 25%, then China and the USA between them must account for over half of the emmisions of the entire world...

I'd disagree..

They probably do contribute the most via power stations, however 40% of the emmisions throughout the world are through vehicles, farm machinery etc..

Not many peasants in China have cars (yet), and not many Farmers there have tractors (yet)

That tips the balance a little..

I bet Europe contributes a lot more than China overall... but again, not as much as far as Power Generation is concerned.
    I wish we could see our way clear to built afew nuke plants, but the movie The China Syndrome played to the ignorance of Joe six-pack and we're backwards in that department for sure.

Funny though, how China's industrial pollution policies suck donkey-dick, but the problem of global-warming is attributed almost exclusively to American autos.

Funny, too, that Bush has legitimate entree to influence U.S. industrial policy, but very little as to how Americans utilize their cars; the ACLU would jump his shit if he tried to dictate anything along the lines of a fuel-usage restriction-remember:

Government intrusiveness is only bad if a Republican does it.

Funnier yet is the notion that, while global-warming has been round since Al Gore invented it, it has only had the effect of generating horrendous hurricanes since Bush has been in office.

Must be that old phenomenon known as the "Republican Weather-Cycle", huh?
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

3. The Drawing Room   -   #53
    Quote Originally Posted by peat moss
    Its why its called a global problem , and why the Kyoto Protocol is so important . Why won't the Americans sign it ?
    Just remind me-

Why is Kyoto so important?

What is it you contend that adherence to the protocols will achieve?
    Last edited by j2k4; 09-24-2005 at 12:44 AM.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

4. The Drawing Room   -   #54
    Poster
    Kyoto

Peat.....I have been trying to get through this, but it will take some time. It seems to give a view of various country's position on the agreement, and where the US Government stands. I keep taking side trips, and it is taking forever to get through this.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #55
    Quote Originally Posted by Everose
    Kyoto

Peat.....I have been trying to get through this, but it will take some time. It seems to give a view of various country's position on the agreement, and where the US Government stands. I keep taking side trips, and it is taking forever to get through this.
    Oh, please, please don't wade throught that drivel...you'll only get a rash from it's toxicity-they won't tell you it is poisonous, and absolutely lethal to business and consumerism..

-Mark Twain

6. The Drawing Room   -   #56
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    I'd be a liar if I said I understood it all . Anything that the UN has their dirty little hands in I would question . Wish Canada had you two on our team before we signed it because we'll never make the quota either . Its a pipe dream while in theory has merit but how do you police it ?

7. The Drawing Room   -   #57
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Quote Originally Posted by bill maher
    evil is not a demon with a tail and horns. That's a Jew. And evil - evil isn't some spectral goblin with red eyes and the voice of Anthony Hopkins. That's Anthony Hopkins.

Is George Bush purely evil? Of course not. And that's what's so evil about him. He doesn't twirl a mustache and smirk and cackle. Well, he doesn't twirl a mustache. He's like the Peanuts character Pigpen. Wherever he goes, he stirs up such a humongous mess it can only be cleaned up by Halliburton. But he is not pure evil.

Because evil is a chain. Did any one person doom New Orleans? No, it's a chain. People vote for a corrupt leader; a corrupt leader puts unqualified cronies in high places, and when those cronies fuck up, evil gets done. The devil didn't fly up from hell and knock a hole in that levee. The levee just didn't get built because the money for it went to rich people's tax cuts and pork projects and corporate welfare.

Evil isn't "Salem's Lot." It's Trent Lott. This week, an ailing American bald eagle was found to be dying from mercury poisoning. Republicans immediately tried to blame it on the eagle's lifestyle choices. But it's worth noting that also this week, the White House threatened to veto limits on mercury pollution. Now, pure evil would be if George Bush sat around the White House saying, "Let's poison eagles!" And even I don't believe George Bush would do that....Cheney would do that.... And even he is not pure evil. Dick Cheney doesn't hate poor children and caribou. They're just in the way.

Bottom line: some people think Satan is real and some people think global warming is real. If you think stopping gays from doing it is more important than the ice caps melting, the boogeyman is you.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #58
    Gripper's Avatar Dexter's Apprentice.
    I don't drive,if I need to go anywhwere of a distance I use public transport.
    How many of you jump in the car just to travel a mile or less to the shop,or just round the corner.
    A decent bicycle and a rucksack can be used quite easily for those little trips,granted if you're doing heavy shopping,by all means use your car,so many people are to fucking lazy.

Yes I did know it was china,hopefully once a few of there city's get struck with smog they will start to do something about it.
    Last edited by Gripper; 09-24-2005 at 08:38 AM.

All spelling mistakes and grammatical errors in my post's are intentional.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #59
    lynx's Avatar .
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4
    Quote Originally Posted by gripper103.2
    Which part of the word is pumping the most hydocarbons into the atmosphere?
    China.

Bet you didn't know that.
    The world's second-largest emitter of greenhouse gases is China.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #60
    HeavyMetalParkingLot's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by gripper103.2
    I don't drive,if I need to go anywhwere of a distance I use public transport.
    How many of you jump in the car just to travel a mile or less to the shop,or just round the corner.
    A decent bicycle and a rucksack can be used quite easily for those little trips,granted if you're doing heavy shopping,by all means use your car,so many people are to fucking lazy.
    Now if only the majority of people lived a mile or less from the shop.....

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast