Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Bush has gone totally daft...

JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc
    Quote Originally Posted by JPaul
    Sorry I don't understand you answer.

Should "aid" payments be treated as loans between your country and the recipient country.
    That is up to the two governments concerned as is the method of repayment (if any). I don't see why it should automatically be treated as a gift nor do I see why it it should automatically be treated as a loan.
    Humanitarian emergency aid should never have strings attached and it would be pretty low to demand anything in return.
    So what of a natural disaster, in a wealthy country. They would need the "aid" quickly, but would be able to repay it in due course.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #32
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    Humanitarian Aid should not, even if to a rich country, have strings attached.

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

3. The Drawing Room   -   #33
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    That is up to the two governments concerned as is the method of repayment (if any). I don't see why it should automatically be treated as a gift nor do I see why it it should automatically be treated as a loan.
    Humanitarian emergency aid should never have strings attached and it would be pretty low to demand anything in return.
    So what of a natural disaster, in a wealthy country. They would need the "aid" quickly, but would be able to repay it in due course.
    see red above

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #34
    Quote Originally Posted by Rat Faced
    Humanitarian Aid should not, even if to a rich country, have strings attached.
    I agree, any "aid" should be just that.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #35
    see red above
    Yes but I asked you re a specific scenario, as opposed to your nebulous position.

Let me make it specific, should the "aid" given to the USA after the catastrophe in New Orleans be re-paid by your Government. Or should it be treated as a gift, as it was intended.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #36

see red above
    Yes but I asked you re a specific scenario, as opposed to your nebulous position.

Let me make it specific, should the "aid" given to the USA after the catastrophe in New Orleans be re-paid by your Government. Or should it be treated as a gift, as it was intended.
    My personal viewpoint being a proud person is that as we have the ability to pay back we should. this doesn't mean that the country that gave the gift has to accept. As I posted it doesn't have to be monetary. It may be that next week the UK is hit by a catastrophe and we can provide aid and if this happened I would not expect it to be repaid even though you possibly could. It's a two way street.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #37
    And yet many cultures would take the returning of a gift as an insult..

8. The Drawing Room   -   #38
    Quote Originally Posted by Rat Faced
    And yet many cultures would take the returning of a gift as an insult..
    and?

9. The Drawing Room   -   #39
    Just that countries and people should be careful in returning gifts..

Especially those that are already unpopular atm..

The Diplomatic thing to do would be to give Aid to those countries, that just so happens to be the same amount

10. The Drawing Room   -   #40

My personal viewpoint being a proud person is that as we have the ability to pay back we should. this doesn't mean that the country that gave the gift has to accept. As I posted it doesn't have to be monetary. It may be that next week the UK is hit by a catastrophe and we can provide aid and if this happened I would not expect it to be repaid even though you possibly could. It's a two way street.
    It's always monetary, everything has to be paid for one way or another. So all "aid" has a cost to the people supplying it.

I think everyone here realises that "aid" does not go by way of cash. It may be food, medicines, expertise. However it is always reported as a monetary value. e.g. Country X sent £100,000 in aid to the USA does not mean they actually sent the cash.

I just find your position with regard to your fellow citizens strange. If a couple owned their house in New Orleans and had no mortgage on it, then you are willing to rebuild it for them, then rent it to them or have them pay for it. Whereas I suspect that others may see it as a national disaster, which you should all sort out together. By putting people back in the position they were before it happened. Not better off, just back where they were before it happened.

Your position is surprisingly lacking in compassion for your fellow citizens.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast