Page 8 of 26 FirstFirst ... 56789101118 ... LastLast

Thread: New Evolution spat in U.S. schools goes to court

JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggles
    One would have more sympathy for ID as a possible cause for the universe kicking off if one did not suspect that it was simply camouflage for a specific creation myth from one specific religion.

One also suspects that it would be none too popular in some circles if the main proponents were suggesting that say the Hindu creation myths were the inspiration for ID.

Consequently it is hardly surprising that it is being treated like an unexploded landmine by those who teach in the scientific community.

I would agree with JP, ID as an analytical concept is fine but it should remain a tool devoid of any specific religious baggage.
    Thank you for helping me to crystalize.

ID in and of itself is not religious. It is just a way to explain the nature of the universe.

However, if those teaching it say that the Intelligent Designer is this, or that, they describe her nature and they suggest that people should worship her, then that is religion.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #72
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    Quote Originally Posted by JPaul
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggles
    One would have more sympathy for ID as a possible cause for the universe kicking off if one did not suspect that it was simply camouflage for a specific creation myth from one specific religion.

One also suspects that it would be none too popular in some circles if the main proponents were suggesting that say the Hindu creation myths were the inspiration for ID.

Consequently it is hardly surprising that it is being treated like an unexploded landmine by those who teach in the scientific community.

I would agree with JP, ID as an analytical concept is fine but it should remain a tool devoid of any specific religious baggage.
    Thank you for helping me to crystalize.

ID in and of itself is not religious. It is just a way to explain the nature of the universe.

However, if those teaching it say that the Intelligent Designer is this, or that, they describe her nature and they suggest that people should worship her, then that is religion.

Absolutely, and I for one would not be for insisting that she be worshipped simply for the sake of it.
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

3. The Drawing Room   -   #73
    Indeed, Gaia boy.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #74
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by whypikonme
    Am l the only one here that's sick of j2k4's attitude lately?

l've read a good deal of his posts made over the last couple of years or so, and seen his arguments with regards to global warning, WMDs, and many other things. With the benefit of hindsight he has rarely been right about anything.

There is one outstanding question in the global warning debate: What if j2k4 and his ilk is wrong? Can we afford to take the chance? If any other country in the world were responsible for 40% of the world's pollution the US would be shouting from the rooftops for something to be done.

Maybe a few more Katrinas and Ritas will wake them up to what's going on.
    Oh, gee-

Whatever shall I do?

BTW-

In what incarnations have you read my posts "...over the past couple of years or so..."?

Why is it chippies like you feel the need to change I.D.s all the time?

Afraid you'll get pegged?

Too late; that's a done deal.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

5. The Drawing Room   -   #75
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4
    Quote Originally Posted by whypikonme
    Am l the only one here that's sick of j2k4's attitude lately?

l've read a good deal of his posts made over the last couple of years or so, and seen his arguments with regards to global warning, WMDs, and many other things. With the benefit of hindsight he has rarely been right about anything.

There is one outstanding question in the global warning debate: What if j2k4 and his ilk is wrong? Can we afford to take the chance? If any other country in the world were responsible for 40% of the world's pollution the US would be shouting from the rooftops for something to be done.

Maybe a few more Katrinas and Ritas will wake them up to what's going on.
    Oh, gee-

Whatever shall I do?

BTW-

In what incarnations have you read my posts "...over the past couple of years or so..."?

Exactly.

Somebody ban him already. He'll be back. Ban UKResident/RioDeLeo/whypikonme/Billy Dean and that I think of it...he was leftism. The mods always mentioned lefty used a proxy and 1234 didn't.

This is fun. Ban him and let's see what interesting moniker he comes up with next time. He's the board's reluctant Hare Krishna (sorry for teh spelllingg).

Kill him. KILL HIM. kiLl HimM!!!!!

1. Mods you go ahead and do that. Mmk?
    2. j2 you can bury him in teh Pet Sematary.
    3. I'll give him the new name upon check-in. I promise it will be unflattering.

We'll All Do Our Part For FST!!!
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

6. The Drawing Room   -   #76
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman

Oh, gee-

Whatever shall I do?

BTW-

Exactly.

Somebody ban him already. He'll be back. Ban UKResident/RioDeLeo/whypikonme/Billy Dean and that I think of it...he was leftism. The mods always mentioned lefty used a proxy and 1234 didn't.

This is fun. Ban him and let's see what interesting moniker he comes up with next time. He's the board's reluctant Hare Krishna (sorry for teh spelllingg).

Well, I wouldn't have banned Laurel and Hardy because they weren't funny, and if such a fate were to befall Why...me, well....then we'd have to assign the bottom position on the totem to someone who might occasion our sympathy, and then we'd feel really guilty for sanctioning someone else.

I think we ought to keep him/her/it, out of respect for others who might attempt to sink lower, but fail.

In sum, it must be granted he makes a superb forum-idiot, and saves young Dave from being bottom duck, eh?
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

7. The Drawing Room   -   #77
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Exactly.

Well, I wouldn't have banned Laurel and Hardy because they weren't funny, and if such a fate were to befall Why...me, well....then we'd have to assign the bottom position on the totem to someone who might occasion our sympathy, and then we'd feel really guilty for sanctioning someone else.

I think we ought to keep him/her/it, out of respect for others who might attempt to sink lower, but fail.

In sum, it must be granted he makes a superb forum-idiot, and saves young Dave from being bottom duck, eh?
    You don't understand. That's the beauty of it. why Billy Dean left UKResident in Rio can be the forum punch dummy that we can shoot (even UKers), stab, mame, bludgeon, mangle, and mankle (!) to death....and he'd come back brand new.

No harm, No foul.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

8. The Drawing Room   -   #78

You don't understand. That's the beauty of it. why Billy Dean left UKResident in Rio can be the forum punch dummy that we can shoot (even UKers), stab, mame, bludgeon, mangle, and mankle (!) to death....and he'd come back brand new.

No harm, No foul.
    Yes, yes, but the one thing we haven't really allowed him/her/it is the opportunity to "grow" into his/her/it's role here, as we've shunned him/her/it upon his/her/it's past appearances-we haven't had a Zardoz since, well, ZARDOZ.

I miss those days...

-Mark Twain

9. The Drawing Room   -   #79
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    How is the court case going anyway .

Is it just me or do most of the posters that complain loud and hard never, ever seem to start a fucking topic ? What are they afraid of ?
    Last edited by peat moss; 10-01-2005 at 10:10 PM.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #80
    Quote Originally Posted by peat moss
    How is the court case going anyway .

Is it just me or do most of the posters that complain loud and hard never, ever seem to start a fucking topic ? What are they afraid of ?
    The disrespect of their peers.

Or perhaps the sky falling on their head.

Page 8 of 26 FirstFirst ... 56789101118 ... LastLast