Thread: How do i use soulseek to full pontential

twisterX's Avatar Poster

Question Mark

I wanna download 320 bitrate mp3's and mostly rap.

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    brotherdoobie's Avatar Long live Hissyfit BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by twisterX
    I wanna download 320 bitrate mp3's and mostly rap.
    What's stopping you?

Peace bd

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    there is no point in downloading 320kbps mp3s. double blind listening tests have been carried out which show that vbr mp3s encoded with lame are of exactly the same quality as higher bitrates, as detectable by the human ear. see http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/ for further information. the mp3 encoder you use has far more bearing on the quality than the bitrate. use tools such as encspot to detect the encoder used and the resulting quality. regarding soulseek, i found in the past that it is genuinely worth purchasing a privilege account. the amount of money involved is minimal and the benefits are considerable, going to the top of every queue immediately. the quality of music available on soulseek is second to none.

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    fractal's Avatar geekette
    agreed on not wasting your time with 320. 192 or a 192-ish vbr with a good encoder is sufficient.

if you really want to be fussy about quality, go for lossless, like flac's.
    but, good luck finding them, on a mass scale.

in general, the best slsk tip i can give (as one who's used it quite a bit for several months) is build a very good user-list. hang out in some rooms of genres you seek, find some good people in there with stuff you like, make sure you've got relatively comparably decent shit to share, .. etc etc.

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Yep. Soulseek is a very good resource for music, and you can learn the in's and out's very quickly if you pay attention to what works for you.

ps- phunk and fractal. Excellent posts, welcome to FST, stick around.

yo

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    twisterX's Avatar Poster
    most of my mp3's are already 320 so what evers better quality i get it. Even if you cant hear it its good knowing you have it there.

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    brotherdoobie's Avatar Long live Hissyfit BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by fractal
    agreed on not wasting your time with 320. 192 or a 192-ish vbr with a good encoder is sufficient.

if you really want to be fussy about quality, go for lossless, like flac's.
    but, good luck finding them, on a mass scale.

in general, the best slsk tip i can give (as one who's used it quite a bit for several months) is build a very good user-list. hang out in some rooms of genres you seek, find some good people in there with stuff you like, make sure you've got relatively comparably decent shit to share, .. etc etc.
    Flack's are nice. However, my favorite lossless codecs are WavPack.
    (they encode faster than flack's and they support RIFF chunks)

Nice post, by the way.

Welcome to the board.

Peace bd

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    Well, human ear might not hear above 192kbps or something like that. There, however, is a need for more information in your mp3. And that is because sometimes you want to convert for your mp3 player (to lower bitrate to like 128, to fit more songs). Or you need to use them in some video, or track mixing or anything, where they would be reencoded.. and once you do that, it's best to have as much as possible!