Thread: ISPs that don't blatantly cap my speeds? (USA)

Rart's Avatar Hold The Line
    I've been using TWC for well over a year now and it's been working perfectly fine, getting my advertised speeds of 10/1 mbps fairly consistently.

These past few months though, my ISP seems to have gone down the toilet. I know that it's not specifically capping bittorrent as my speeds are slowed across the board. During the morning, I can occasionally reach my full DL speed, but it's rather pointless as I'm rarely home in the morning and don't really download then. But at nights, when I mostly download new tv shows, my DL is capped so badly that it ends up being slower than my upload. I'm lucky to get 50-100 KB/s on most of my downloads. Normal standard quality episodes take quite a few hours to download and by then I'm already sleep. It's a giant fucking pain in the ass and extremely aggravating.

I was thinking of FiOS as I've heard many good things about it but unfortunately it seems to have limited availability and isn't in my area yet. Are there any ISPs with comparable speeds in the US that don't impose any limits or throttle?

2. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #2
    lee551's Avatar no soup for you! BT Rep: +5
    I have Qwest DSL. Depending on your area they offer up to 20Mbps fiber connections and up to 12Mbps DSL data rates.

I always get the full advertised speed, and have stuck with Qwest because I get no interference from them with regards to capping my speeds or any other such fucking about.

Just out of curiosity, have you called them to complain and if so, what did they say? No one should put up with their ISP pulling shit like that. Good response by looking to switch.

3. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #3
    Rart's Avatar Hold The Line
    Unfortunately when I went to the product availability portion of the site my state wasn't even in the dropdown menu . Thanks for the advice though.

I have called them and complained, and they claim to have no idea it's happening (which I don't buy). I called them in the morning though, and they told me to call them back at night (when the throttling actually occurs) so they could look at it.

I just said screw it as I was lazy and didn't feel like it was worth the effort, because I'm moving to a different house in a week or two and I might just have to go through the same thing again. I'll see if it works at all when they set it up in the new house first.

4. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #4
    I think FiOS is definitely the best - worlds better than comcast (I hate them)