Thread: good router? what brand?

i currently have a crappy linksys wireless b router, what is a good router that wont drop me? I'm getting dropped so frequent and my lan connection is getting disruptted alot now, I want this router to be wireless b compatiable cause i have a wirless b pci card and I want it to work well w/ servers cause I'm planning to create a home server

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Have you tried different firmware for your Linksys? I have heard that some models work best with older firmware rather than the latest.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    yea i know i heard that too but i heard that linksys once released a bad firmware that crashed everyones router too and that if the firmware has a bad installation then it'll mess up too lol

Wireless-B Broadband Router BEFW11S4
    Firmware Version: 1.50.14

which firmware do u recommend?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Well I'll make a suggestion on what not to get a Belkin..I had one and it suffered from the drop off's as well..Product support was poor.Firmware upgrades very far between as in many years. . Gave up and bought a d-link wired router.Cheap but it does the job.I rarely use a wireless connection with my laptop.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Samurai's Avatar Usenet Fanboy
    Quote Originally Posted by Soul814
    yea i know i heard that too but i heard that linksys once released a bad firmware that crashed everyones router too and that if the firmware has a bad installation then it'll mess up too lol

Wireless-B Broadband Router BEFW11S4
    Firmware Version: 1.50.14

which firmware do u recommend?
    There's nothing wrong with Linksys IMO. I've been using them for a long time, routers, modems and NIC's have always been top quality.

Have you tried firmware version 1.52.02?

http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satel...VisitorWrapper

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    I'm not sure if this will help but I found this posted elsewhere:

Re: [Wireless] dropped connections on Linksys BEFW11S4 router

The FIX is make sure ALL your Media players on ALL your computers have Multi-cast and UDP turned off:

Windows Media Player

Real Player

Quick Time

Any others

Most people may NOT even know what application launches for what audio/video format, and it can be DIFFERENT for all computers on your network, so, make sure ALL the computers on your network have these DISABLED and you will have a very very ROCK-SOLID router.

The problem is that pages like Yahoo for example, when they see broadband speed, they try and get FANCY and do video and audio from time-to-time, it is when these pages make attempts to do this and the settings are NOT correct for your media players on your network using this router try and PLAY the video/audio that the router locks up.

Hope this helps, by the way go to the latest firmware as well if you can, there is no reason to be SPOOKED to a earlier version, this FIX will solve the FREEZES for SURE!
    Source: http://www.broadbandreports.com/foru...=9999~start=20

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Build your own if you have an extra box lying around no monitor keyboard or mouse needed just RDP into it to configure. This allows you to get a good access point with strong signal without paying for an expensive router.

Here's a link to a windows setup
    http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/wire...XPUnwired.html

I prefer using a linux box but thats up to you all comes down to preference.
    Good luck
    Customer: "I want to download the Internet. Do I need a bigger hard disk?"

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    S!X's Avatar L33T Member BT Rep: +5
    Ive got a netgear, which I dont use... Anyone wanna purchase? Its brand new basically.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    for quite a few linksys routers theres 3rd party firmware options because linksys have used a GPL version of linux, check www.linksysinfo.org for upgrades to linksys stuff.

If you find web browsing dies (but u r still basically connected to the net) after using filesharing apps on a linksys router check out http://www.linksysinfo.org/modules.p...er=asc&start=0

In fact for any linksys problems check linksysinfo, it has loads of stuff. I've got my WRT54G linksys router working pretty sweetly now.