Thread: Can Someone Tell Me Where I Am Going Wrong Then?

although i leave my comp on all the time..cept to restart with low resourses..or the bugger disconnects...i have unlimited uploads and unlimited bandwidth checked..my comp crawls at snails pace if there are a lot of uploads..downloading is slowed right down and as for going onto other sites....its worse than when i had a 56k modem..in fact typing this i have to wait 15 secs b4 for it to catch up....

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    ok forget the typing bit..i just turned of the search...

another prob tho..ivejust put in another hard drive and want to put my operating system on the new one...how do i do it?..is there a thread anywhere for this

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    You really want to have your operating system on the primary master hdd. If you have just installed a new hdd then it will almost certainly not be on that. You could use a utility to do a full copy of your os to the new hdd, then change things about to make it the primary master. I believe that Norton Ghost will do that for you, a sig is available here

http://www.klboard.ath.cx/bb/index.php?act...ST&f=37&t=17897

if you want to download it.

If you want some advice however. I personally would make the clean new hdd the primary master, then re install the os, the drivers and any software you use. That way you will have a nice clean fast system. You can then transfer any data from the old hdd.

Given that you have installed a new hdd I assume you know how to do all of this. If not then just pop back and ask, someone will help.

Good Luck.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    thanks..but no i havent got a clue..i tried putting it as the master with the old as slave but the system wont recognise it saying..obviously..there is no operating system or something..i downloaded discwizard from the manufacturers..seagate..and apart from formatting it it wont copy the files over the system just stops..blank screen..any help would be appreciated coz the old one is wearing out by know the amount of times i recovered on it...i also tried just using the new one and taking out the old but again despite putting the recovery disk in it comes up .error no disc present..

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Poster
    Set your new hdd as a master, but putting the jumpers on the correct place at the back of the drive. Then put it on the primary ide channel.

Boot up and go into the BIOS. Normally the delete key, though not for compaq.

Tell the BIOS to Autodetect IDE. That way it will find the new hdd when you reboot.

Probably a good idea to set the boot sequence as floppy - CD - hdd while you are there.

Reboot the computer with a bootable disk. If you have a bootable windows disk then just put that in the CD. When you start the computer it will boot from there and install the os to your new hdd.

Otherwise boot from a recovery floppy. Select with CD support. When started go to CD and install your os.

It almost certainly wasn't recognising the hdd because you hadn't told it to look. It's always a good idea to have your BIOS set to autodetect. That way you can change hdd, cd etc without having to bother about it.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    CornerPocket's Avatar Retired
    Perhaps a Step x Step installation guide might help. ~Moving to Hardware~ in regards to harddrive installation help.
    "8-ball Corner Pocket"

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Poster
    Has any1 noticed that you really havnt answerd is 1st question!!!

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    crawls at snails pace if there are a lot of uploads..downloading is slowed right down and as for going onto other sites....its worse than when i had a 56k modem..in fact typing this i have to wait 15 secs b4 for it to catch up....
    You should know precisely your max upload speed in kilobits. For example it may be 128 or 256 kilobits, or even higher. Then enter the number in Kazaa Lite Options - Advanced - Max. (upload) bandwidth in kilobits.