Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Thread: A Message To All Britons

Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggles
    I had a look through Busy's list and only recognised a couple of shows. I think it would be fair to say that only a fraction of each countries output crosses the pond.

I like some US shows

Simpsons
    Futurama
    South Park
    X Files
    Taken (thought that was excellent)
    Scrubs
    Dead like Me

I liked Cheers when it was on (especially with Shelley)
    Roxanne (early episodes)
    Never really clicked with Friends etc.,

Never really liked US crime drama shows although the one about Vampires (Knight something??) was quite good ... actually, might have been Canadian when I think about it.

Some US standup is brilliant. I like Emo Phillips, Ryan Styles etc., but I find Pryor incomprehensible (not saying he isn't being funny but it is hard to get the joke if you only understand one word in five).

I think there is probably less US stuff than there used to be on UK TV. I think they are being a lot more selective and bringing across stuff that has already been a solid hit in the US. No more endless daft cop programmes with cowboys riding horses through New York, blind detectives, scruffy detectives (although he was good), bald detectives, hip detectives. - this can only be good.

I do like the UK crime series such as Taggart, Messiah (which is well weird) Frost etc., but I think that is probably a culture specific thing.
    Some of the shows I mentioned are severely old. I did love Cheers, Taxi (Danny Devito), Mork and Mindy (Robin Williams), Bosom Buddies (Tom Hanks), Welcome Back Kotter (John Travolta), etc.

Richard Pryor was severely black. His comedy reflected it.

As did his accent.

I did like Taxi ... Jim was my favourite.
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

2. Lounge   -   #42
    Cheese's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheese

The Tarantino episode was quite good, the rest all blend into one another. I realise they have different crimes but it just always seems like I'm watching the same episode over and over and over and over...

Also the overwhelming smugness of the central characters makes me want to kill them all brutally, and I wouldn't leave any evidence.
    They are some smug bastards...on all three shows.

If you don't like CSI, how do you know about all the other episodes?

I've seen bad episodes and good ones...'cause I watch it. However, I wouldn't watch it at if I didn't like the series as a whole...which it seems you don't.
    I've watched a fair bit of it in the past due to the lack of TV channels on terrestial television. Though, these days I'm only forced to watch it if I visit friends or family and there is nothing better on at the time.*

*I mean, it's not as bad as Pop Idol or any of the other crappy reality shows that infest TV these days...
    Last edited by Cheese; 10-01-2005 at 01:23 PM.

3. Lounge   -   #43
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Don't watch much tv anymore except things like Rome . Wife has been looking for old British comedy vhs tapes for me , like Benny Hill ,Two Ronnies and Carry On movies.

The Brit comedians don't have to say anything just that look and I laff. The Americans and Canadians shine in Stand up routines .

4. Lounge   -   #44
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggles
    Some of the shows I mentioned are severely old. I did love Cheers, Taxi (Danny Devito), Mork and Mindy (Robin Williams), Bosom Buddies (Tom Hanks), Welcome Back Kotter (John Travolta), etc.

Richard Pryor was severely black. His comedy reflected it.

As did his accent.
    Absolutely. Black American comedy is lost on the UK audience...and just the accents.

Like the time he referenced his mother making him good get a stick for her from a tree to beat his own ass. He said that would be longest walk he took.....and if he took too long, she'd go out there and get the entire tree to beat his ass.

He said when he'd get the stick, as he brought it back, he could hear it cutting the wind...so it he knew it'd hurt.

Then when she got the stick he'd start whippin' him with every syllable...DIDDNT...I...TELL...YOU...NOT...TO...DO...IT....

He then says the best thing to do is shut-up or else you add extra licks...don't ever say, "I won't do it no more."

I...KNOW...YOU...NOT...GONNA...DO IT...NO....MORE....'CAUSE'....YOU...SHOULDNT...HAVE...DONE...IT....THE....FIRST...TIME....AFTER....I....TOLD....YOU....NOT...TO...DO IT.

I related 'cause I had been through that exact same same scenario.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

5. Lounge   -   #45
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheese
    They are some smug bastards...on all three shows.

If you don't like CSI, how do you know about all the other episodes?

I've seen bad episodes and good ones...'cause I watch it. However, I wouldn't watch it at if I didn't like the series as a whole...which it seems you don't.
    I've watched a fair bit of it in the past due to the lack of TV channels on terrestial television. Though, these days I'm only forced to watch it if I visit friends or family and there is nothing better on at the time.*

*I mean, it's not as bad as Pop Idol or any of the other crappy reality shows that infest TV these days...
    I'm guilty of watching pieces of American Idol in season 2 when Ruben Studdard won and this last one when that white girl won. I liked Bo Bice, the rocker.

Weird though that how I started watching it in season 2 (on at 8pm)was 'cause 24 came on right after (9pm) it and I was too lazy to set my VCR timer and I'd be leaving to play b-ball at 7pm. So I popped my tape in and just pressed record.

When I fast forwarded one time I had to stop the tape to answer the door (didn't want to go to far) when I came back, I pressed play and it was half-way through an American Idol episode (final round). It had some decent singing so I watched.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

6. Lounge   -   #46
    Quote Originally Posted by peat moss
    Don't watch much tv anymore except things like Rome . Wife has been looking for old British comedy vhs tapes for me , like Benny Hill ,Two Ronnies and Carry On movies.

The Brit comedians don't have to say anything just that look and I laff.
    Benny Hill used to trip me out.

Quote Originally Posted by peat moss
    The Brit comedians don't have to say anything just that look and I laff.
    True.

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

7. Lounge   -   #47
    GepperRankins's Avatar we want your oil!
    only the first 4 or 5 pop idol shows are good, for the losers. never watch it when it goes capitalist though

8. Lounge   -   #48
    JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    So we are comparing our artistic output by a "who makes the best TV shows" competition. What an interesting idea.

Scrubs is fantastic BTW. One of the few series ever to make over 25,000 episodes and still maintain it's funnity.

It did fall foul of the American disease in later series. Where every episode had to have some sort of moral, but that happens to most good American TV comedy.

9. Lounge   -   #49
    lynx's Avatar .
    [SMILESIGN="3"]Laugh Now![/SMILESIGN]
    As invented for US comedy shows.

'nuff said.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

10. Lounge   -   #50
    Gripper's Avatar Dexter's Apprentice.
    CSI is feckin brill,thet one Tarintino did was superb,Richard Pryor is hilarious loved him in See no evil,Hear no evil.
    Don't think the yanks did a very good remake of Cracker
    Forever Knight ,this is what you was thinking of Biggles

All spelling mistakes and grammatical errors in my post's are intentional.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast