Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: A Message To All Britons

GepperRankins's Avatar we want your oil!
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Peerzy
    About our TV theres hundreds of quality shows you Americans don't even get on your TV which rival you're shyte. Don't suppose you've heard of Little Britton?
    Nope. But the UK is notorious for watching our TV shows but not vice-versa.

There are some I like though.

I like(d)

Extras
    Mr. Bean (sometimes)
    Benny Hill
    Dr. Who

Many of your shows are not bust your gut laughing but a kinda "Aha".."ha"..."ha" laughter. I watched the fag guy on Showtime and he was dry as fuck..wtf is name? He wears lipstick. edit: Ediie Izzard.

You think Weebl is hilarious ffs.

Anyway name your quality shows. I'll probably dl them and give them a spin (if there's even a torrent for it). I'll have to watch it at work though 'cause at home, when I watch TV, I'm watching one of numerous quality American TV shows that I've TIVO'd.

(btw, I stopped watching sitcoms awhile back) I never watched Friends. Candian humor is very good here. I think they have comedy in their blood.

I did like

Seinfeld
    The Cosby Show
    Family Ties
    It's Your Move
    Different Strokes
    What's Happening
    Good Times
    The Facts Of Life
    Silver Spoons
    Punky Brewster
    Who's The Boss

And then sketch comedies

The Richard Pryor Show
    In Living Color
    Chappelle's Show
    The Sketch Show
    Kids In The Hall
    Mr. Show With Bob and David
    Flip Wilson
    Saturday Night Live
    Mad TV

What are your shows again?

see if you can get some peter kay standup. if you don't ROFL you aren't human (or didn't gorw up in the north of england ). i swear his DVDs need a govenment health warning.

also see if you can find black books, taht rocks.

the thing about good british comedies is they only ever do two six show seasons whereas in america they do 15 seasons at 30 shows a peice

2. Lounge   -   #32
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mulder
    Cool. Name some Brit crime shows that you actually like.
    There are none NYPD Blue and The Shield are the only crime shows I like, heard good things about The Wire too but not seen any yet
    Oh yes, you'll love The Wire. It's set just 30 miles north of here in Baltimore, Maryland.

The first season was straight hood
    The second was about the hood and the dock workers. (the worst season imo)
    The third season was about the hood and local government.
    The 4th will be on next year I think.

I never liked NYPD Blue or The Law And Order series. They always seemed to generic. I like shows that stand out. The Shield is verrrry different.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

3. Lounge   -   #33
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    I had a look through Busy's list and only recognised a couple of shows. I think it would be fair to say that only a fraction of each countries output crosses the pond.

I like some US shows

Simpsons
    Futurama
    South Park
    X Files
    Taken (thought that was excellent)
    Scrubs
    Dead like Me

I liked Cheers when it was on (especially with Shelley)
    Roxanne (early episodes)
    Never really clicked with Friends etc.,

Never really liked US crime drama shows although the one about Vampires (Knight something??) was quite good ... actually, might have been Canadian when I think about it.

Some US standup is brilliant. I like Emo Phillips, Ryan Styles etc., but I find Pryor incomprehensible (not saying he isn't being funny but it is hard to get the joke if you only understand one word in five).

I think there is probably less US stuff than there used to be on UK TV. I think they are being a lot more selective and bringing across stuff that has already been a solid hit in the US. No more endless daft cop programmes with cowboys riding horses through New York, blind detectives, scruffy detectives (although he was good), bald detectives, hip detectives. - this can only be good.

I do like the UK crime series such as Taggart, Messiah (which is well weird) Frost etc., but I think that is probably a culture specific thing.
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

4. Lounge   -   #34
    Cheese's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheese

Good show. You only need to watch any one episode and you have effectively watched the entire series (spin offs included).
    Why 'cause it has formula that works?

You know, showing how the crimes happen (even if disgusting).

Other than that, the crimes happen differently. The the showing of the visual aspects are the same.
    The Tarantino episode was quite good, the rest all blend into one another. I realise they have different crimes but it just always seems like I'm watching the same episode over and over and over and over...

Also the overwhelming smugness of the central characters makes me want to kill them all brutally, and I wouldn't leave any evidence.

Yawn.

America has some great crime shows I have to watch, CSI defiently isn't one of them. I'm glad it is stuck on Channel 5 over here, where it belongs.

"Yeah, that's it. Lots of flash and no meaning." - Chief Wiggum
    Last edited by Cheese; 10-01-2005 at 12:48 PM.

5. Lounge   -   #35
    Cheese's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggles
    daft cop programmes with cowboys riding horses through New York
    Sounds good, I'd watch it.

6. Lounge   -   #36
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes

Alas I can't recall the title, otherwise I am sure you could probably download it.
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

7. Lounge   -   #37
    Why 'cause it has formula that works?

You know, showing how the crimes happen (even if disgusting).

Other than that, the crimes happen differently. The the showing of the visual aspects are the same.
    The Tarantino episode was quite good, the rest all blend into one another. I realise they have different crimes but it just always seems like I'm watching the same episode over and over and over and over...

Also the overwhelming smugness of the central characters makes me want to kill them all brutally, and I wouldn't leave any evidence.
    They are some smug bastards...on all three shows.

If you don't like CSI, how do you know about all the other episodes?

I've seen bad episodes and good ones...'cause I watch it. However, I wouldn't watch it at if I didn't like the series as a whole...which it seems you don't.

Btw, the Tarantino episode was hardly the best one by a long shot. I know people (especially in the UK) like to bandwagon on him.
    Last edited by Busyman; 10-01-2005 at 01:05 PM.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

8. Lounge   -   #38
    Mr. Mulder's Avatar pepper your angus BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    Due South was leet!

9. Lounge   -   #39
    GepperRankins's Avatar we want your oil!
    Quote Originally Posted by cheese
    make sure you do get them all, if two survived they'd probably find out exactly who you are and where you're hiding from a broken pencil, some windolene and something very loosely based on forensic science from other tv shows. leaving just one to survive would be fun though, how would they solve a crime without someone to finish their sentances

10. Lounge   -   #40
    I had a look through Busy's list and only recognised a couple of shows. I think it would be fair to say that only a fraction of each countries output crosses the pond.

I like some US shows

Simpsons
    Futurama
    South Park
    X Files
    Taken (thought that was excellent)
    Scrubs
    Dead like Me

I liked Cheers when it was on (especially with Shelley)
    Roxanne (early episodes)
    Never really clicked with Friends etc.,

Never really liked US crime drama shows although the one about Vampires (Knight something??) was quite good ... actually, might have been Canadian when I think about it.

Some US standup is brilliant. I like Emo Phillips, Ryan Styles etc., but I find Pryor incomprehensible (not saying he isn't being funny but it is hard to get the joke if you only understand one word in five).

I think there is probably less US stuff than there used to be on UK TV. I think they are being a lot more selective and bringing across stuff that has already been a solid hit in the US. No more endless daft cop programmes with cowboys riding horses through New York, blind detectives, scruffy detectives (although he was good), bald detectives, hip detectives. - this can only be good.

I do like the UK crime series such as Taggart, Messiah (which is well weird) Frost etc., but I think that is probably a culture specific thing.
    Some of the shows I mentioned are severely old. I did love Cheers, Taxi (Danny Devito), Mork and Mindy (Robin Williams), Bosom Buddies (Tom Hanks), Welcome Back Kotter (John Travolta), etc.

Richard Pryor was severely black. His comedy reflected it.

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast