Thread: Can u clear up some networking issues?

keyser_soze's Avatar Poster
    I'm a big style noob at networking but just managed to get two running one at work and one at home, although they seem to work Ok I'm still confused about where workgroups fit into all this, Set up 1 at work is 1 pc wired to a wireless router and 2 pc's on wireless, I set up the first wired pc via the installation disc that came with the isp supplied router but the disc did'nt seem to like the third party wireless hardware that came with the other 2 pc's so I added them to the network manually with windows zero wireless config, I had a problem with the first computer being seen by the others but not file or printer sharing so I ran the network setup wizard(I think thats where I went wrong I should have just enabled f/p sharing in the network connection settings) so now I have a workgroup called work and everything appears to be working My questions are does my wireless network name ie 2Wire**** have to be the same as my workgroup name in network set up? and do I need to set up a new workgroup for my home pc? everytime I switch from one network to the other the workgroup I'm in does'nt show the other so do I have to delete any old workgroup set ups that went wrong or do they self delete when I start a new 1?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    lynx's Avatar .
    The wireless network name is completely independent of the workgroup name.

You should probably give the wireless networks slightly different names to avoid your pc getting confused when you move from one network to the other.

On the other hand, the workgroup names should be the same. However, with Win2k and XP that's not enough, there's a hidden security key too.

Delete any workgroup on the pcs at work and at home. Now create a new workgroup on one pc, the wizard should offer you some security files. You should use these files when you create the workgroup on all the other pcs, both at work and at home. The security is then matched and you should be able to switch from one network to the other and still see the workgroup.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Thanks for that m8 its settled a few worries I had. my two wireless modem/routers are totally different names so no probs there, just checking though when you say delete old workgroups how do I go about that in xp sp2 I can only find them my network places and on right click don't get the option to delete? plus the security files, is that the create a floppy disc option at the end of the first network setup? I just run it from windows and gave the workgroup the same name.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    lynx's Avatar .
    Actually, I can't remember how you delete a workgroup. I know it is possible because by default you aren't in a workgroup. I think you have to remove the Client for Microsoft Networks and File & Printer Sharing. You can leave the internet protocol.

However, if you simply use the Wizard to create a completely new workgroup I think that will do just as well. As you suggest, the security files are on the floppy disk.

You can actually create a workgroup without the security files, but it is (obviously) less secure. But if your do use the files (on the floppy) you have to use the same files throughout your networks (both work and home), otherwise they are not the same workgroup even though they will have the same name.
    Last edited by lynx; 11-03-2005 at 01:05 AM.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Cheers m8 thats put my mind at rest