Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New memory cause PC to crash??

Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    I just put in a new stick of 512 DDR yesterday into my Shuttle PC. Today, while just typing along, my computer restarts. Uh-oh...I say to myself. When the PC came back up it said that Windows had experienced a fatal error. These are the other things that came up:

The second window is a result of clicking the first link at the bottom.

I also got this window:

http://oca.microsoft.com/en/response...115611a&SID=10

It's obviously a hardware problem, but it says it's a driver problem also. Is my new memory stick bad, or is the XP driver bad or what? Any opinions?
    Last edited by Skizo; 09-30-2005 at 05:34 PM.

yo

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    How many times has it done that?

Take out the new stick and try running a while with only the old memory.

Retest with only the new memory.

Do a RAMtest: http://www.memtest86.com/

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    twisterX's Avatar Poster
    there is such a thing as bad memory. SO it could be the actual hardware.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Quote Originally Posted by Virtualbody1234
    How many times has it done that?

Take out the new stick and try running a while with only the old memory.

Retest with only the new memory.

Do a RAMtest: http://www.memtest86.com/
    OK, I tried running the new stick for awhile by itself and I had no problems. I put it back in a few days ago and today my PC has restarted (crashed) twice.

I tried to use the memory test that VB linked to but it needs a floppy disk to run from. I don't even have a floppy drive anymore.

Any other ideas?

yo

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Scroll down the page in the link I posted and look for:

ISO images suitable for creating a bootable Memtest86 CDROM

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)

Yeah, I saw that after I posted but I couldn't get it to burn correctly I think. I tried four times and every time when I opened the disc to view it's contents, I see a folder called 'BOOT'. When I open that folder I see two files, one called 'Security File' and another file with a .IMG extention. Another image file? (It had an ISO ico).

I tried the Windows memory test, but it does state with that one, that a floppy is the only way to use it.

I've started thinking that maybe it's a power supply issue perhaps, or let's just say that I've added that to my list of things it could possibly be. Maybe my PS is having to much power drawn away from it? I'm not sure how to tell what my PS is without removing the cover again.

I was comparing the two memory sticks, and they have some different specs. Did I get the wrong memory? (The Spectek is the new one.)

Last edited by Skizo; 11-03-2005 at 06:32 PM.

yo

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizo
    I was comparing the two memory sticks, and they have some different specs. Did I get the wrong memory? (The Spectek is the new one.)
    it shouldn't be a compatibility problem between the two sticks. 2100 and 2700 are compatible. they have different "maximum" recommended speeds, but the computer runs both of them at 133mhz. hypothetically they should both be running totally fine.

my guess is that it might just be a bad stick, your motherboard isn't agreeing with that particular ram-stick model, or something else. if you mess around with your settings and still can't achieve stability, it's prolly best to contact the retailer, say the memory is making your PC crash (so you don't know whether it's a defect or incompatibility or what) and you want to exchange it for a different brand.
    Last edited by 3RA1N1AC; 11-03-2005 at 07:53 PM.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    JunkBarMan's Avatar Milk Sucks,Got Beer?
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizo

Yeah, I saw that after I posted but I couldn't get it to burn correctly I think. I tried four times and every time when I opened the disc to view it's contents, I see a folder called 'BOOT'. When I open that folder I see two files, one called 'Security File' and another file with a .IMG extention. Another image file? (It had an ISO ico).

This is exactly what you wanted, and it indeed burnt itself correctly. Now, what you need to do is have that cd in the cd-rom drive and restart your computer. If your cd drive is the first boot peripheral then the memtest will start. If not, then you need to go into your bios and change the boot order for your cd-rom to be first. Save changes and restart.
    Today is the day.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    lynx's Avatar .
    I suggest you try each stick in the first slot (but with both sticks loaded). Go in to bios and make a note of the memory speeds the system has selected in both configurations. Then do the same with just the corsair memory selected.

If there is any discrepency you need to manually set the timings to the slowest (highest numbers). That way you ensure they are compatible in terms of timing.

However, they may still not be compatible in terms of voltage requirements, and the motherboard will supply the same voltage to both sticks.

Unfortunately you motherboard doesn't give you any way to over-ride the voltage in any case. The manual simply says 2.5Volt memory but that's the nominal setting, the actual setting could vary slightly.

Once you've got the timing compatible you need to try each stick in the first slot. If the required voltages are different one configuration will probably work better than the other.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Quote Originally Posted by JunkBarMan
    This is exactly what you wanted, and it indeed burnt itself correctly. Now, what you need to do is have that cd in the cd-rom drive and restart your computer. If your cd drive is the first boot peripheral then the memtest will start. If not, then you need to go into your bios and change the boot order for your cd-rom to be first. Save changes and restart.
    How long is it supposed to take for this test to complete itself? I let it run for almost three hours before stopping it. It would finish the tenth test and then start at one again. Does it log the results somewhere?

yo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast