Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Help Me Guess The Jellybeans!

I already said the amount... Anways, if you want to know, ask if you can take the beans out and then count the beans. Then after you do that, ask if you can take the Jellybeans out and then notice that you were a dumbass and counted beans... Wait, that wouldn't work... Well, your screwed...

2. Lounge   -   #32
    Forum Star
    Originally posted by Infested Cats@16 April 2003 - 21:27
    Ok, 2 of my friends and I weren't allowed to weigh the container. They said it would give us an unfair advantage (because no one else thought to do it).

Anyway, we tried a different method:

First, we counted how many jellybeans were along each diaganol-side. Then we counted how many there were from the top to the bottom, and from one side to the other. Then we took the surface area from the face and then we multiplied that by how many were across.

The math may not make sense, but i'll draw a picture later.

We came up with the number 1638. It seems pretty accurate considering all of your guesses. If we stick with that number, i'll go with 1638, my one friend will go 12 more, and the other will go 12 less.

What do you think? This is due TOMORROW! (4/16/03)
    I think this is the closest you can get.

You should consider breaking and entering tonight though.

3. Lounge   -   #33
    If you win, what do you win?

4. Lounge   -   #34
    Infested Cats's Avatar Mike Victory
    Originally posted by oldmancan@16 April 2003 - 16:12
    IC were you suprised that you weren't allowed to weigh the container? lmao
    Ya, you got the math, I knew you would.  And your math seems reasonable so far as the latest method.
    I know you haven't time but the best volume method would be to calculate the capacity (volume) of the container using Simpson's Rule.  Something for you to search for.  I think you want Simpsons 2nd rule.  Have fun with that!!
    We thought at first that they would let us weight the container because we figured they'd think we were "creative!"

The only reason why i consider the math a little shady, is because we used "jellybeans" as the unit of measure. And since they're not evenly spaced, it's really not entirely accurate. Plus, not every jellybean is the same size!

Also, I did a quick search on the internet concerning "Simpson's Law," and anything concerning it is WAY above my head. If you have the time oldmancan, could you perhaps explain it a little?

5. Lounge   -   #35
    Another thing to do is run out and buy two bags of £0.99 jellybeans count how many is in each bag, find out the average, which will give you the average of 1 bag then times it by how many bags the lad said was in the jar, that should give you near enough the right number, but the people who were counting the sweets might be dumb and counted wrong and/or they put as many as they could in their mouths then started counting from their.
    D

6. Lounge   -   #36
    Originally posted by ghost944@16 April 2003 - 16:34
    Another thing to do is run out and buy two bags of £0.99 jellybeans count how many is in each bag, find out the average, which will give you the average of 1 bag then times it by how many bags the lad said was in the jar, that should give you near enough the right number, but the people who were counting the sweets might be dumb and counted wrong and/or they put as many as they could in their mouths then started counting from their.
    D
    I could do that, but I want to win this contest without spending any money whatsoever!

Also, if the number my friends and I came up with is (hopefully) accurate, then that would mean that each of the eight bags that were supposedly used contained 211 jellybeans per bag.

7. Lounge   -   #37
    oldmancan's Avatar Poster
    IC Do you have any idea how slow I type? But ok. Just don't expect anything soon. Send me a pm or just post the dimensions of the container and the size of an average jelly bean.

Oldmancan pledges to attempt to venture into areas of brain that have not seen any usage in several decades. Rusty parts beware. >Bender got any spare penetrating oil?

IC can I just answer or do I have to show my work?

btw I see I was wrong about the uniform size/weight of a jelly bean.

8. Lounge   -   #38
    I'd be glad to give you the dimensions of the container!... just, I havent taken measurements of the container.

I'm assuming that its about 12" high, 12" or 14" across, about 6" inches per "diagonal side," and perhaps 6" for the lenght of the container?

And i have no idea about the jellybean. circumpherance is about an inch? heigh is about half and inch, and width is about an 1/8 of an inch?

It's pretty hard to just guess. Since i'm home now, its a tad hard to get the dimensions. I could get the dimensions early tomorrow, and find a computer to get on to let you know.

And no, you dont have to post all the work. Just the answer if possible! Thanks for all your help oldmancan! The name says it all!

9. Lounge   -   #39
    Just bumping this up one last time for final opinions. I need to have my guess in by 11:05am EST (4/17/03)!

10. Lounge   -   #40
    My 2 friends and I put in our three guesses: 1676, 1688, and 1700.

Hopefully we won!! I'll let you all know.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast