Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Internet taxation : It is upon us...

twisterX's Avatar Poster
    I dont think its just possible. They cant tax you from another state becuase the money will go to that state. They would have to make it so that the money goes to your state

2. The Drawing Room   -   #12
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4

And it would have the effect of causing business migration to states that wouldn't tax.

There would be quite a few of them, especially those considered to be more business-friendly than tax-hungry.

I'll leave the phrasing as is.

Mmk?
    ...and you still don't get it. I'm not talking about the states that won't tax. I'm talking about the states in general.

Answering.....
    If all the damn states agree to tax the vendor located in that state then it would most definitely work.
    With....
    And it would have the effect of causing business migration to states that wouldn't tax.
    ...is pure idiocy.
    Why?

Internet business is extraordinarily easy to do, and there would be significant competitive advantages to relocating to avoid the tax issue.

You contend this would not be worthwhile?

If this is true, we'll never hear another complaint about taxes and we can disband the IRS.

If this is true, would you (after all, you're closer) please let the IRS know they can all go home...for good?
    Last edited by j2k4; 10-06-2005 at 01:41 AM.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

3. The Drawing Room   -   #13
    JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by JPaul
    Which state would collect the tax, the state the buyer was in, or the state the vendor was in.

What if they are foreign, living in a foreign country.

What if there is no similar tax in their state / country.

It's a minefield I tells ya.
    The simplest way would be for ze state the vendor is in to collect ze tax.

That would solve the whole conundrum.
    But where is the vendor.

His principal place of business, his interweb server location, the state his warehouse is in (quite messy), the location of his accounts department, or one of many other possibilities.

Your answer may indeed be the simplest way (well actually it isn't) however it is not necessarily the best way, or even a workable solution.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #14
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    The simplest way would be for ze state the vendor is in to collect ze tax.

That would solve the whole conundrum.
    But where is the vendor.

His principal place of business, his interweb server location, the state his warehouse is in (quite messy), the location of his accounts department, or one of many other possibilities.

Your answer may indeed be the simplest way (well actually it isn't) however it is not necessarily the best way, or even a workable solution.
    If the vendor is in the US it is. Many B&M businesses already charge tax for online purchases.

Outside the U.S. would be the problem. j2's post would have had more teeth if it was "well they'd just move outside the US." Better yet, they'd move to a state that charges less tax.
    Last edited by Busyman; 10-06-2005 at 01:29 PM.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

5. The Drawing Room   -   #15
    Quote Originally Posted by twisterX
    I dont think its just possible. They cant tax you from another state becuase the money will go to that state. They would have to make it so that the money goes to your state
    Why?

If you drove to a B&M business in another state to purchase good or services, you'd pay tax there. The state you live in doesn't deserve a cut.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

6. The Drawing Room   -   #16
    But where is the vendor.

If the vendor is in the US it is. Many B&M businesses already charge tax for online purchases.

Outside the U.S. would be the problem. j2's post would have had more teeth if it was "well they'd just move outside the US."
    Aren't State taxes different, by State.

If that is the case then my point stands, if it is not the case then please to be ignoring my last. Other than the obvious international rammifications.

Oh wait .... gotcha.

I can give you an example (of the international element) using VAT and the different treatment depending on whether the "source" is in the EU, or outwith it. However it really would be rather boring, so I won't bother.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #17

Outside the U.S. would be the problem. j2's post would have had more teeth if it was "well they'd just move outside the US."
    Aren't State taxes different, by State.

If that is the case then my point stands, if it is not the case then please to be ignoring my last. Other than the obvious international rammifications.

Oh wait .... gotcha.

I can give you an example (of the international element) using VAT and the different treatment depending on whether the "source" is in the EU, or outwith it. However it really would be rather boring, so I won't bother.
    See my edit.

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

8. The Drawing Room   -   #18
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    But where is the vendor.

Outside the U.S. would be the problem. j2's post would have had more teeth if it was "well they'd just move outside the US." Better yet, they'd move to a state that charges less tax.
    I give up....
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

9. The Drawing Room   -   #19

I give up....
    As a direct result of the "see my edit", which didn't actually change anything. I second that giving up.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #20
    twisterX's Avatar Poster
    No taxation without represantation!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast