Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Thank You Hack

Quote Originally Posted by james_bond_rulez
    also may i suggest that the forum automatically delete nzbs that is older than 20 or 30 days old, cuz some news servers actually have retention period that is shorter than 20 days and it's useless to users if there are thank-you posts that keep it coming back up on top...
    As Ive mentioned rossco is working on something that will allow you to sort the section by "Thread Start Time" instead of "Last Post" which will accomplish what you want. Also rossco will be adding something to remove items older tthan 50 days...

2. Newsgroups   -   #42
    Although I can understand people appreciating a quick "Thank You", I do not really like being required to do it.

Mostly from a privacy standpoint. I mean, I use NG's specifically so I do not have to worry about people seeing what I get or how much I get.
    This makes it so that anyone can see what I get and how often. Not really something I want to advertise.

If this was a private forum I would want this system as it is only polite.

If I posted NZB's I would take the fact that several people dl'd the nzb to be thanks enough. I would feel good that something I posted was something that others were also interested in.

Anyway, my opinion on that.

I appreciate the nzb section and all the nzb posters, but this new system will pretty much rule out my use of it other then in a limited fashion.

TD
    Peace of mind Findnot

No time to work out? Try Folding instead.

3. Newsgroups   -   #43
    The fact is posting nzb files had just become intensly unatractive for posters. We watched them come and go and even state that it was unatractive to post. Some even felt offended to see large amounts of views and not even one post. When we decided to try out the hack I thought it would be nice for posters but had no clue that new posters would be posting which is great for the site. After all who wants to post to an epmty section.

Once this all settles in the hack wil deffinatly not be full time. Thoughts are those that post an NZB on a given day will not have to post a Thank You or that a thread that has five replies will no longer require a Thank You amongst other thoughts for this as its still very new. Were still putting these things into effect so that should make some middle ground and halt having thread with oodles of thanks also.

As for the rest of my thoughts regarding your post Ive sent that to you in a pm for discussion...
    Last edited by RealitY; 11-05-2005 at 10:43 AM.

4. Newsgroups   -   #44
    I guess I just get my sense of recognition from the number of views and grabs rather then the acutual responses.

Of course, if I had posted one of my world famous and very thought provoking topics/discussions in the Drawing Room and didn't get any responses but just views I would be rather dissapointed(that's why I don't do it ).

Anyway, I am for anything that makes the section more popular and realise I am probably one of the few who will ever be bothered by it. I will just restrict my use of it to a place where I can see what is available.

Thanks again to everyone who contributes and thanks for the pm and the ideas

TD
    Peace of mind Findnot

5. Newsgroups   -   #45
    Through PM, REALITY pointed out yet another way.....

Some day I'll really have to read the nonsense in my sig

TD
    Peace of mind Findnot

6. Newsgroups   -   #46
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    We've added the option to sort by 'Thread Start Date' meaining that thank you posts won't bump up 2 months old threads anymore.
    Last edited by tesco; 11-06-2005 at 03:51 PM.

7. Newsgroups   -   #47
    backlash's Avatar usenet lover
    I think it's silly to be prompted to say thanks or give comments before actually downloading. How do you know it's good until you've downloaded it? Either way, I'll say thanks.

8. Newsgroups   -   #48
    As Ive mentioned you can always edit your post or make an addition one later on. Also we will be lightning the need for Thank You so that it wont be required all the time if we can get it to work that way...

9. Newsgroups   -   #49
    Damnatory's Avatar OTL BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    Quote Originally Posted by backlash
    I think it's silly to be prompted to say thanks or give comments before actually downloading. How do you know it's good until you've downloaded it? Either way, I'll say thanks.
    Well you only have to do so a couple of times in a day... I think the maximum amount of times was changed to 5, and that is negated even, if you post a single nzb in that day.

Besides, it would be sort of tough to force the post if it were implemented after the download, you could just press the back button on your browser, or close the window. :p

10. Newsgroups   -   #50
    Quote Originally Posted by Damnatory
    Well you only have to do so a couple of times in a day... I think the maximum amount of times was changed to 5, and that is negated even, if you post a single nzb in that day.
    Weve yet to get that into the hack although thats what wede like with maybe a lmit within a given thread also...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast