Thread: New York Subway Threat

Samurai's Avatar Usenet Fanboy

Security is being stepped up in New York after the city received a "credible" threat to its subway system.

Mayor Michael Bloomberg said the move followed a "specific threat" of a terrorist attack.

He warned residents to be extra vigilent and to report suspicious packages to police.

"The FBI recently shared with us a specific threat to our subway system," he said.

"We have done and will continue to do everything we can to protect this city. We will spare no
    resource, we will spare no expensee.

"We have increased our police presence on our subway," he added.

Extra police officers, counter-terrorist units and dogs are to patrol the underground network.

Peter King, chairman of the House Homeland Security Committee, confirmed they had received "credible security threats" to the city's system.

"Obviously, this is a significant threat," he added.

New York has been on high alert for another attack since the September 11 attacks on the World Trade Centre.

More than seven million people travel on New York subways each day.

Source: Sky News
    Last edited by Samurai; 10-06-2005 at 10:22 PM. Reason: Added Source

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Ironically (and obviously) the only thing worse than nothing happening would be an attack.

Funny, isn't it, the permutations brought about by politics...

My fingers are crossed.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    Samurai's Avatar Usenet Fanboy
    Indeed.

Hope nothing happens.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    lynx's Avatar .
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4
    My fingers are crossed.
    That'll stop them.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    I wonder what "credible threat" means in this case. Was it our own intelligence or a tip off ?
    The IRA used the tactic of phoning warnings before they planted bombs. The fact that these warnings were taken seriously enabled them to make phoney warnings that created chaos without having to actually do anything except dial a number.
    I can't imagine AQ issuing any warnings unless it was to test the system
    Hopefully nothing will happen.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    GepperRankins's Avatar we want your oil!
    i bet the threat was citizens feeling safe

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Quote Originally Posted by GepperRankins
    i bet the threat was citizens feeling safe
    Ah .... the republican strategy in the run up to last years election. Could it be starting again in preparation for next years elections

I do wonder how they would be able to say the policies work "because we haven't been attacked since" if we actually are.... But I would rather be left wondering than find out.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.