Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Swear

Poster
    Originally posted by Lamsey@21 April 2003 - 17:54
    Did anybody else understand that?

And yes it was me, just ask the mods...
    If you wish to censor the written word, which this is, the natural extention of that is to censor books.

You are I assume aware of book burning in the USA when they didn't approve of the content. I believe it was also done in nazi Germany and other places.

Shakespeare, Kurt Vonnegut and many other great authors have used words you deem innapropriate.

If you wish to maintain your freedom of expression you cannot at the same time justify curtailing the same right for others.

There is much on this board which I disagree with. There is much in life which I disagree with. However I must uphold other peoples right to say what they want. In that way I support my own right to do the same.

2. Lounge   -   #52
    Ex-member
    And yet in another thread you flamed the out of Master YodaX (now the Avatar Man) for something you disagreed with...

Be consistent

And in any case, I was trying to enhance the board because I though people would like the smilie. Evidently I was wrong, which is why the idea has not been implemented.

I think the current situation works well - can we agree on that?

3. Lounge   -   #53
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Originally posted by Lamsey@21 April 2003 - 11:14

And in any case, I was trying to enhance the board because I though people would like the smilie. Evidently I was wrong, which is why the idea has not been implemented.

What exactly is the current situation?
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

4. Lounge   -   #54
    Ex-member
    What exactly is the current situation?
    The swear smilie is now invoked by
    Code:
    :swear:
    That way it only appears if you actually want to use it - it is just like any other smilie.

It is at the bottom of the 'show all smilies' window.

5. Lounge   -   #55
    Poster
    Originally posted by Lamsey@21 April 2003 - 18:14
    And yet in another thread you flamed the out of Master YodaX (now the Avatar Man) for something you disagreed with...

Be consistent

I am being consistant. I support his right to say what he wants. That gives me the right to reply in any way I want. That's what I said.

Your idea was to disallow people from doing something, which was censorship of expression.

In fact I think you will agree I don't swear very often at all. Other than in this thread which was more to make the point than anything else. I may sometimes be a bit h4r5h, but not usually through using foul language. However I support other peoples right to do it, if that is how they prefer to express themselves.

We agree on most things I think. I may actually have been you 60 or so years ago. I think the smiley being available enhances the board. That way people who don't really want to swear can use that as an alternative.

Now of and get some work done. You've still got those exams coming up you know.

6. Lounge   -   #56
    Ex-member
    Schoolwork?

that...

7. Lounge   -   #57
    Poster
    watch your ing language you bar steward.

8. Lounge   -   #58
    Ex-member
    Swear, me?

Not ing likely...

My dad is an archaeologist and used to work with a Youth Opportunity Scheme, which basically meant that school dropouts were paid to dig on his site.
    They were working in an urban site once, right in the middle of a residential area.

One day, a wee old lady came to complain to my father (the supervisor) about the language being used by some of the youths, as she was playing with her grandchildren in the garden and didn't want the kids hearing any profanity.
    So, my dad went and rounded up the workers and said to them "Listen, guys, you'll have to cut down the swearing - the locals are getting offended."

They all looked shocked and one of them said in an affronted tone of voice:

"Whut? Nae cunt here's fucking swearing!"

Some people just use swearing as ing punctuation...

Half the ing time they ing don't even ing realise it!

9. Lounge   -   #59
    Poster
    Originally posted by Lamsey@21 April 2003 - 18:37

"Whut? Nae cunt here's fucking swearing!"
    That's just outrageous. This is the worst example of profanity I have seen on this board.

How could you, there are young children reading this you know. This surely must call for a weeks ban.

For goodness sake mods, can't something be done about this.

10. Lounge   -   #60
    Ex-member
    I hope you're joking.

It was a quote intended to make a point - ie. swearing is inappropriate when it does not add meaning to the sentence. It should be a learning experience for young children, as it is clear that people look down on this kind of thing.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast