Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: This time they really did find a cure for cancer

whypikonme's Avatar Unemployable
    Surely it would be a medication umder this definition from Dorlands Medical Dictionary ...

medication (med·i·ca·tion) (med²[ibreve]-ka¢sh[schwa]n) [L. medicatio] 1. a drug or medicine. 2. impregnation with a medicine. 3. the administration of remedies.

It is, after all, a drug.
    Sig Removed...too clever

2. The Drawing Room   -   #22
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    As a further aside, it seems rather odd, in this instance, the argument is that the meanings of words be finite and constricted so as to furnish the precision required, when in most other instances it is considered to be almost morally reprehensible not to expand definitions willy-nilly until everyone who uses any word whatsoever is never wrong for having done it?
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

3. The Drawing Room   -   #23
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by JPaul
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc
    Well I think I'll go with the MEDICAL PROFESSION terms over your idea. You can check any pharmacy site if you wish. I think they know more than you.

BTW I use the word "medication" not "medicine". I appreciate you will never admit you are wrong but you are none the less.

I'll say no more lynx
    "BTW I use the word "medication" not "medicine"."

Which means you see the words as analagous. Which means that a medication is something which is used to treat illness, injury or disease (in this context), Which "the morning after pill" is not, unless you consider potential pregnancy to be injury, illness or disease.

The fact that "pharmacy sites" may wish you to think of it as a medication is irrelevant. They would, wouldn't they. The fact that you fall for the propoganda is indicative of your "I read it so it must be true" mentality.

Lynx, I believe it is on topic. vidcc brought the subject up as a moralistic aspect of the topic. Surely his prerogative to do so. I replied, surely mine. However I am happy to leave it a that, he never actually listens anyway.
    Good lord, JP you are wrong, damn.

It's an agent (usually a drug) used as a remedy or corrective action. You brought morals into it simply 'cause it's used for pregnancy.

A woman gets raped walking home from night school. She may take Plan B so she doesn't have a baby from a rapist.

So yes...a remedy from pregnancy.

Use the noggin' sans google sometimes.
    Last edited by Busyman; 10-08-2005 at 06:57 PM.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

4. The Drawing Room   -   #24
    JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    ... already "Christian moral values" are inhibiting access to certain medications such as the "morning after pill""

I did not bring morals into it, vidcc did.

I responded to him accusing Christians of inhibiting access to certain medications, because "the morning after pill" is not a medication. I am not saying that it is not acceptable (I'm not saying it is either). I am merely saying that his contention was wrong.

Certain Christians may indeed try to deny access to "the morning after pill" because it is, in some instances, a method of abortion. One would expect them to do this, in the same way as they would with any other form of abortion.

Your point with regard to the raped woman is well made, I have no problem with that. However that does not mean she is taking a medicine.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #25
    ... already "Christian moral values" are inhibiting access to certain medications such as the "morning after pill""

I did not bring morals into it, vidcc did.

I responded to him accusing Christians of inhibiting access to certain medications, because "the morning after pill" is not a medication. I am not saying that it is not acceptable (I'm not saying it is either). I am merely saying that his contention was wrong.

Certain Christians may indeed try to deny access to "the morning after pill" because it is, in some instances, a method of abortion. One would expect them to do this, in the same way as they would with any other form of abortion.

Your point with regard to the raped woman is well made, I have no problem with that. However that does not mean she is taking a medicine.
    It's a corrective measure to inhibit pregnancy. That's a medication.

Ortho Evra is a medication too.

I brought up the moral doohicky 'cause you seem to not call Plab B a medication simply 'cause it inhibits pregnancy.

Finasteride and Minoxidil are medications to regrow hair. Losing hair is an ailment?
    Last edited by Busyman; 10-08-2005 at 07:01 PM.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

6. The Drawing Room   -   #26
    Pregnancy is not an illness, injury or disease. It is not something you treat.

It's got nothing to do with "morals". It's just not a medicine, because it does not perform the function of a medicine, which is to cure illness / disease / injury, or alleviate their symptoms. The morality or otherwise is a totally seperate matter and one which vidcc and you are discussing, not me.

People who sell things like hair growth lotions, or snake oil, call them medicine to make you feel better about buying them. It's a marketing thing, there is a great tradition for it.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #27

It's got nothing to do with "morals". It's just not a medicine, because it does not perform the function of a medicine, which is to cure illness / disease / injury, or alleviate their symptoms. The morality or otherwise is a totally seperate matter and one which vidcc and you are discussing, not me.

People who sell things like hair growth lotions, or snake oil, call them medicine to make you feel better about buying them. It's a marketing thing, there is a great tradition for it.
    Sighhhh that's why you've resorted to putting "snake oil" in there.

Pregnancy is treatable btw. You are wrong. It can be an unwanted growth inside a woman's body that 'cause bloating, nausea, and pain. To many women (a great many) it is an ailment.

Btw things like Finasteride and Minoxidil actually work. Maybe we should just call it "that stuff makes one's hair grow" instead of medication.

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

8. The Drawing Room   -   #28
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman

Pregnancy is treatable btw. You are wrong. It can be an unwanted growth inside a woman's body that 'cause bloating, nausea, and pain. To many women (a great many) it is an ailment.

Btw things like Finasteride and Minoxidil actually work. Maybe we should just call it "that stuff makes one's hair grow" instead of medication.

It may well be something that they don't want, that does not make it an illness, injury or disease.

I thought the "snake oil" touch was rather good btw.

Call "Finasteride and Minoxidil" whatever you want, it matters not one jot, it matters not one jot whether they work or not. The "morning after pill" is not a medicine.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman

It may well be something that they don't want, that does not make it an illness, injury or disease.

I thought the "snake oil" touch was rather good btw.

Call "Finasteride and Minoxidil" whatever you want, it matters not one jot, it matters not one jot whether they work or not. The "morning after pill" is not a medicine.
    If it's not medication then what is it?

Snake oil was nice (along with hair growth lotions).

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

10. The Drawing Room   -   #30
    No, no, that's not how it works.

I'm telling you that it's not medicine, I'm telling you why it's not medicine.

That doesn't mean I have to tell you what "pigeon hole" it really belongs in. That is irrelevant to my point.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast