Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: This time they really did find a cure for cancer

MagicNakor's Avatar On the Peripheral
    A vaccine shown to be 100% effective against two virus strains that cause most cervical cancer could be available within a year, say manufacturers.

Gardasil worked against the sexually transmitted human papillomavirus (HPV).

Some 12,167 women aged 16 to 23 from 13 countries, including the UK, took part in the drug company study.

Researchers believe a vaccine could work best if given before adolescence, but critics fear this could encourage under-age sex.

Merck's vaccine is in head-to-head competition with a rival from UK-based GlaxoSmithKline called Cervarix.

Cervical cancer kills 274,000 women worldwide every year, including 1,120 in the UK.

The two-year Future II trial found Gardasil was 100% effective at preventing early stage cancers and pre-cancerous abnormalities caused by the two key strains of HPV - the 16 and 18 strains - which cause 70% of cervical cancers.

Similar results were previously seen in a smaller trial of 277 women.

These results add to the mounting evidence that cervical cancer vaccines offer great promise for the future
    Dr Anne Szarewski, Cancer Research UK

Dr Anne Szarewski, clinical consultant at Cancer Research UK, said: "These results add to the mounting evidence that cervical cancer vaccines offer great promise for the future.

"It appears we may soon be able to prevent the majority of cases. With any disease caused by a virus, the best way to stop it is to prevent it with a vaccine."

However, she said a woman should remember that an abnormal smear result does not necessarily mean she will go on to get cervical cancer. Many abnormalities get better on their own and disappear.

Also, she said it would take many more years to know whether a vaccine continued to offer long term protection and that it was therefore essential to continue with cervical screening - women attending for regular smear tests.

Julietta Patnick, director of the NHS Cancer Screening Programmes, said regular cervical screening was the best way of preventing cervical cancer.

All women registered with a GP should receive their first invitation at 25 and then every three years until they are 49. Women between 50 and 64 will be invited every five years.

Licence bids

Cambridge University's Professor Margaret Stanley said: "The results of Future II are so exciting because of the sheer size of the trial and the fact that it demonstrated 100% efficacy."

Professor Peter Rigby, chief executive of the Institute of Cancer Research, was also excited by the findings.

He said: "Nearly 3,000 people in the UK are diagnosed with cervical cancer each year, so it is very exciting to hear it may be possible to drastically reduce this number in the foreseeable future."

Gardasil's manufacturers - Sanofi Pasteur and Merck & Co Inc - are expected to apply for a US Food and Drug Administration licence to market the vaccine before the end of the year.

This will be followed by a licence application to the European Medicines Agency.

Although HPV is transmitted through sexual intercourse, a vaccine is likely to be administered to girls as young as 10 to 13 - critics says this could encourage under-age sex.

Gardasil also acts against HPV strains six and 11 which cause genital warts.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/4317972.stm
    I wonder if it works for women older than 23 also, or if its effectiveness is dependent on never having sexual intercourse previously...

things are quiet until hitler decides he'd like to invade russia
    so, he does
    the russians are like "OMG WTF D00DZ, STOP TKING"
    and the germans are still like "omg ph34r n00bz"
    the russians fall back, all the way to moscow
    and then they all begin h4xing, which brings on the russian winter
    the germans are like "wtf, h4x"
    -- WW2 for the l33t

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    As I understand it this is a vaccine and is best used prior to the woman being a "sexual debutante", the chap actually used that phrase.

There are concerns that this may be seen as a panacea and that women may stop being screened, leading to more deaths than it prevents.

It is very important that the screening programmes continue in addition to this being made available, as it only affects two virus strains.
    Last edited by JPaul; 10-07-2005 at 06:16 PM.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Sounds like abstinence, only less objectionable to liberals.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    lynx's Avatar .
    Researchers believe a vaccine could work best if given before adolescence, but critics fear this could encourage under-age sex.
    What absolute bollocks.

Although it is now given to the population as a whole, the Rubella vaccine was originally just given to girls to prevent problems caused by contracting the disease during pregnancy. Did that encourage under-age sex? Of course not.

What do these people think is going to happen with this vaccine? Do they think girls will receive a letter saying that since they have been inoculated they should go out and have sex? Morons.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Quote Originally Posted by lynx
    What absolute bollocks.

Although it is now given to the population as a whole, the Rubella vaccine was originally just given to girls to prevent problems caused by contracting the disease during pregnancy. Did that encourage under-age sex? Of course not.

What do these people think is going to happen with this vaccine? Do they think girls will receive a letter saying that since they have been inoculated they should go out and have sex? Morons.
    They have been trying to limit access to the vaccine for some time now, even before it is available, which is very worrying because already "Christian moral values" are inhibiting access to certain medications such as the "morning after pill"

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc
    Quote Originally Posted by lynx
    What absolute bollocks.

They have been trying to limit access to the vaccine for some time now, even before it is available, which is very worrying because already "Christian moral values" are inhibiting access to certain medications such as the "morning after pill"
    The "morning after pill" is not a medication.

It works either as a contraceptive, to prevent fertilization, or by stopping a fertilized egg from attching to the womb, resulting in an abortion.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by JPaul
    The "morning after pill" is not a medication.

It works either as a contraceptive, to prevent fertilization, or by stopping a fertilized egg from attching to the womb, resulting in an abortion.
    Plan B Emergency Contraception

An emergency contraceptive pill (ECP) also, known as post-coital contraception or the morning-after pill, is available at McKinley Health Center. This prescription medication is called Plan B. Emergency contraceptive pills utilize a medication that is similar to a hormone produced by the ovaries. The hormone produced by the ovaries is progestin and a similar component in Plan B is progesterone. Plan B was approved by the FDA for use in the United States in 1999 and is the only product specifically marketed for emergency contraception.
    source
    Last edited by vidcc; 10-07-2005 at 09:07 PM.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    fkdup74's Avatar Pneuberator.
    Plan B Emergency Contraception

An emergency contraceptive pill (ECP) also, known as post-coital contraception or the morning-after pill, is available at McKinley Health Center. This prescription medication is called Plan B. Emergency contraceptive pills utilize a medication that is similar to a hormone produced by the ovaries. The hormone produced by the ovaries is progestin and a similar component in Plan B is progesterone. Plan B was approved by the FDA for use in the United States in 1999 and is the only product specifically marketed for emergency contraception.
    source
    ummm.......I don't think that was precisely JP's point
    yes, it is medicine, but not in the conventional sense
    i.e. medication for an ailment,
    unless you consider "OOPS! I got knocked up!" an ailment/disease/whatever
    I call that irresponsibilty, and, I, given my track record, would seem to be an expert on the matter

-edit- on the matter of irresponsibility, not getting knocked up
    Last edited by fkdup74; 10-07-2005 at 09:20 PM.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    Quote Originally Posted by fkdup74
    ummm.......I don't think that was precisely JP's point
    yes, it is medicine, but not in the conventional sense
    i.e. medication for an ailment,
    unless you consider "OOPS! I got knocked up!" an ailment/disease/whatever
    I have only what he wrote to go on and he wrote it is not a medication.

But if you wish to make that point then show me where I said it was a "medication for an ailment".

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    fkdup74's Avatar Pneuberator.
    I have only what he wrote to go on and he wrote it is not a medication.

But if you wish to make that point then show me where I said it was a "medication for an ailment".
    I realize that, and was merely speculating

and me, have a point? come on now....
    I try to stay away from having a point,
    you could put an eye with those things...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast