Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wireless router

looking into getting a wireless router and card for my laptop. any suggestions? d-link, linksys,??? wanting something with good signal lengths that i can use around the house. thanks in advance

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Samurai's Avatar Usenet Fanboy
    Linksys definately.

Stay away from lower end D-Link's and nearly all Netgear's bar their most expensive models.

I'm using a Linksys WAG54G and I believe it's gone down in price in the last few months.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    erRor67's Avatar Lord Of Everything
    LinkSys is good IMO. I have D-Link right now and it suits my needs..

Dont know anything about Netgear other than the one I looked at yesterday was white and reminded me of an iPod
    blah blah blah... whatever...

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Yep...definitely LinkSys...can't go wrong.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    harrycary's Avatar Poster
    The innards of base model Linksys and Dlink routers are manufactured by the same companies. The features are virtually the same(i.e. protocol and whatnot), but the ease-of-setup may differ.

For everyday users, either will work just fine.

Buy what's on sale if this applies to you.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    silent h3ro's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +9BT Rep +9
    The D-Link gaming router is supposed to be amazing. I would reccommend checking that out if ur a gamer.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    backlash's Avatar usenet lover
    I have a question about adding range. My wireless router is in the basement and I use my laptop 2 floors up. The signal is usually "low," "very low" or just "good." Somewhere b/w 1-3 bars. It seems wireless repeaters are more expensive than routers/access points. What would be the best way to get better signal and speed? Oh, it's 802.11b. Would g make a huge difference? I'd have to get a new PCMCIA card, too, so I'm sure it will add up.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Quote Originally Posted by backlash
    I have a question about adding range. My wireless router is in the basement and I use my laptop 2 floors up. The signal is usually "low," "very low" or just "good." Somewhere b/w 1-3 bars. It seems wireless repeaters are more expensive than routers/access points. What would be the best way to get better signal and speed? Oh, it's 802.11b. Would g make a huge difference? I'd have to get a new PCMCIA card, too, so I'm sure it will add up.
    Can the router be moved to the main floor?

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    lynx's Avatar .
    802.11g won't give any improvement in signal, but of course 10% of 54Mb/s is still 5 times as fast as 10% of 11Mb/s, so it may improve your speed.

If possible, make sure the signal path does not go past large pieces of electrical or electronic equipment, or large metal objects. So make sure it isn't directly under the fridge or the tv, for example.

Also, try not to have the signal passing through too much of the building's infrastructure. The best way to ensure this is to put the router next to an outside wall, and if possible in a corner of 2 outside walls. That way, the line of the signal through any inside walls or floors is likely to be minimised.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    backlash's Avatar usenet lover
    Quote Originally Posted by Virtualbody1234
    Can the router be moved to the main floor?
    not without running the cat5 wire, which connects it to my other router, all the way to the main floor. Lynx, I actually think it IS right below the fridge. funny how that worked out *sigh*

/me wonders what other solutions there are besides running cables through walls and ceilings

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast