Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 10mb blueyonder

Poster
    right they have upgraded my blueyounder connection to 10mb, before i could download at 240KB/s max and upload at 30 max, now the most i`ve seen is 440 down and 43 up but there is no way 440 is my max i thought it must be something like 1100KB/s. i am right can anyone tell me?????

2. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #2
    Samurai's Avatar Usenet Fanboy
    Well 8MB = 1024kB / sec theoretically, although you'll never get this. So 10MB should equal 1272kB / sec. As I said you'll never get that due to distance from exchange, overheads etc... so you should be happy around 900kB / sec IMO.

I'm on 8MB and only get 700-800kB / sec and I live 532m from exchange. But then again my ISP is stupid.

Seeing as you live in London, try checking out Be Internet. They're offering 24MB for next to nothing using ADSL2+ and a free modem to boot (or reboot if you like a pun). I'll be going with them as soon as I get some cash coming in.

3. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #3
    dodgy368's Avatar Poster
    I'll be looking at Be, totally unimpressed with Bulldog, they're not supplying what they say they can.

4. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #4
    Samurai's Avatar Usenet Fanboy
    Quote Originally Posted by dodgy368
    I'll be looking at Be, totally unimpressed with Bulldog, they're not supplying what they say they can.

Yep... I'm with them too. Suck balls.

5. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #5
    I'm guessing they use some form of traffic shaping to limit file sharing to 2Meg, which seems to be the limit on my 10Meg line. I imagine it's tricky to circumvent. I haven't figured it out yet.

6. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #6
    Cheese's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by dkt075 View Post
    I'm guessing they use some form of traffic shaping to limit file sharing to 2Meg, which seems to be the limit on my 10Meg line. I imagine it's tricky to circumvent. I haven't figured it out yet.
    I've never encountered any problems with Blueyonder using Newsgroups or Bittorrent. Top speeds all the time (well, except for if I'm on a torrent with a low amount of seeds obviously).

7. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #7
    limesqueezer's Avatar kwasheni rejtash
    1 Mbit(Mb) = 1024 kbit (megabit)-internet speed
    1 MB = 1000 KB (megabyte)-computer data

1 kbit = 1024 bit/s
    1 mbit = 1024 kbit/s
    2 mbit = 2048 kbit/s
    4 mbit = 4096 kbit/s
    10 mbit = 1,2 MB/s
    1 gbit = 1024 mbit/s

8. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #8
    Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
    Well 8MB = 1024kB / sec theoretically, although you'll never get this. So 10MB should equal 1272kB / sec. As I said you'll never get that due to distance from exchange, overheads etc... so you should be happy around 900kB / sec IMO.
    What are you on???

8MB (Megabytes) = 65536Kb (kilobits)

8Mb (megabits) = 8192Kb (kilobits)

The one in bold is a 8Mbps internet speed, which as you say you wont hit because of overheads.

I live 500meters away from exchange on a 8Mb business ISP and during Newsgroup DL I hit 6.5Mb = 6656Kb.

If your going to answer someones question make sure you know what your saying.

9. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #9
    limesqueezer's Avatar kwasheni rejtash
    Well 10 mbit can be from 1,02 MB/s to 1,2 MB/s as i heard but not slower.
    If they sell as 8 mbit it can't be slower, cause all 8 mbit have the same speed, 6 mbit would be 6144 kbit/s. U should check your speed on some test, if u download from some other ppl they can have uploads also and soo u'll never know what u have.

10. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #10
    Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by limesqueezer View Post
    Well 10 mbit can be from 1,02 MB/s to 1,2 MB/s as i heard but not slower.
    If they sell as 8 mbit it can't be slower, cause all 8 mbit have the same speed, 6 mbit would be 6144 kbit/s. U should check your speed on some test, if u download from some other ppl they can have uploads also and soo u'll never know what u have.
    Your talking about ADSL2 and ADSL2+ but most of us here still can only get ADSL and Max ADSL which is variable on distance line quality and interferance.

Where as ADSL2 and 2+ get limited on longer lines but are still locked in at a certain speed. But your find most ISP who can offer ADSL2 and 2+ to people have the worst TOS and Fair Usage policy.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast