Thread: New soundcard in a laptop?

Poster
    I have a Dell Inspiron 4100 and I'd like to replace the soundcard with something that has a Line-In...Is it possible to replace a laptop soundcard with any substitute?
    www.never-dead.cjb.net

Ardeth In Pre-Production

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    mikeco's Avatar Rossco's Manager
    i dont think its possible to remove and add a new sound card like u would with a pc, i think ur better off getting a "USB Sound Adaptor" think thats what its called.

hope that helps

edit:
    think the name of it is "USB Sound Adaptor MIC 5.1 Channel"
    Last edited by mikeco; 04-29-2006 at 04:03 PM.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    suprafreak6's Avatar Suprafreak6 is Back!
    yeah you cant just change the laptop sound card, if you have moderate experience with computers

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Poster
    I found an audio adapter that connects to USB 1.1 (which I have on my laptop, no firwewire or 2.0) but would that be too slow for recording audio? If I were using Auditiion to record, what is the seconds of audio/file size ratio before saving and compressing if I were recording straight to line-in?
    www.never-dead.cjb.net

Ardeth In Pre-Production

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    lynx's Avatar .
    USB 1.1 will be fine for audio capture, I don't think even bats have ears that work at ultrasonic frequencies.

A standard PCM .wav file occupies about 5.5MB per channel per minute. Assuming you will be recording stereo, you should expect to use about 11MB per minute.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.