Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Sprocket Redux

Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Quote Originally Posted by lynx
    Does this mean you can install windows on your memory card? That raises some interesting possibilities.
    Wow. Now that's something to look into.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #52
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Just checked on Asus, their SLI boards can run either slot at 16x when only one card is installed.

I suspect DFI is the same, but will run the second slot at 2x if two cards are installed but not in SLI mode.
    Quote Originally Posted by DFI Street Global Moderator
    Hello,

If you move all 6 SLi jumpers to pins 2-3 it will run at x8.

The second slot cannot run in X16 mode.
    I like Asus's setup better if you can get either slot to 16x but I'm pretty sure that the DFI won't.
    I can try rejumpering to see...maybe after I get home tonight.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

3. Software & Hardware   -   #53
    JunkBarMan's Avatar Milk Sucks,Got Beer?
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker
    I like Asus's setup better if you can get either slot to 16x but I'm pretty sure that the DFI won't.
    I can try rejumpering to see...maybe after I get home tonight.
    Please let us know the update on this, I would move my vid card to the 2nd slot, because my northbridge is running way to hot and I have no way to cool it down at this point.
    Today is the day.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #54
    Quote Originally Posted by JunkBarMan
    Please let us know the update on this, I would move my vid card to the 2nd slot, because my northbridge is running way to hot and I have no way to cool it down at this point.
    What motherboard do you have?
    I can confirm that the DFI definitely does not support 16x on the second PCIe slot.
    *aside...*
    You all owe me cookies.
    Rejumpering this board with the card and waterloop in place was a giant PITA. After all the hassle I could tell within the first scene that the framerate had dropped to practically nil- I couldn't stand to even finish the test, "Massive Overdraw" would have been painful to watch.
    Then I had to rejumper to get back to normal.

Oatmeal chocolate chip, please.

Running at 8x I can see no real drop in performance (or bench scores) which pretty much confirms that most new games aren't even close to saturating the PCIe bus.
    If nothing else, this exercise in agony has firmed up my decision to go with a single 7800 over 6800's in SLI.
    The card itself is obviously more expensive, but I'll save the cost of the second waterblock (still waiting on hard info regarding the Stasis Thermal blocks, but I expect a price @ $125-150 apiece) and the loop will remain simple.

Now I'm on a mission to discover where DFI has hidden the sensor which reports "motherboard" temps as it reads way higher than I'd like to see.
    Besides, it's weird to see the CPU running 7-10C lower than the motherboard.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #55
    lynx's Avatar .
    If it is anything like the Abit boards (and probably some others) it is probably measuring the temp of the PWM chip. These things are now typically running at or above the cpu temp when under load.

Your browser is set to reject 3rd party cookies, so I had it myself.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #56

Your browser is set to reject 3rd party cookies, so I had it myself.
    THAT WAS MY COOKIE!

7. Software & Hardware   -   #57
    JunkBarMan's Avatar Milk Sucks,Got Beer?
    I have the Lanparty NF4 SLi-DR, and the northbridge is covered up by my 7800GTX(long card) and can get quite hot when under load. If I put it in the second slot should it recognise it right away then, or do I have to change the bios or jumpers?

*I don't mean to hijack this thread
    Last edited by JunkBarMan; 10-30-2005 at 02:47 AM.
    Today is the day.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #58
    You will have to rejumper the 6 blocks between the PCIe slots to "enable SLI".
    This will enable the second slot ( which DFI cleverly labels "PCIe4") to run at 8x.
    Insert card and you're done- no other special configuration.

Now you owe me a cookie.
    Make sure that greedy bastard Lynx doesn't sweet talk you out of it.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #59
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Virtualbody1234
    Wow. Now that's something to look into.
    A couple of years ago I saw a computer some bloke had cobbled together and put in a pizza carton. For an OS he used some stripped down linux distro on a flash card. As far as I could tell it worked well.

Given the better capacity of those cards today, putting windows on one of them might be doable. Depends on how big a card you can get, and possibly on how much you can slim down XP, or whatever you want to use.

That Gigabyte ramdrive would prolly keep better in the long run, 'cos flash cards have a tendency of going bad on me.

Nice new sprocket, clocker.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #60
    [QUOTE=SnnY]
    Quote Originally Posted by Virtualbody1234

That Gigabyte ramdrive would prolly keep better in the long run, 'cos flash cards have a tendency of going bad on me.
    Everyone was sure the iRam was going to be the bee's knees, too bad Gigabyte is only making two thousand of 'em.
    Apparently there has been a major redesign and the next gen will be ported into SATA, have 8 (maybe more!) DIMM slots and be bay mounted.
    Sounds sweet, but vaporware usually does.

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast