Your Ad Here Your Ad Here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: I Need The Perfect DVD Player......

  1. #1
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Washington D.C.
    Posts
    13,839
    Requirements:

    Divx
    DVD-R/RW,DVD+R/RW
    Upconverts to 1080i HD

    If it comes in a recorder...even better. I'm not getting Blu-Ray for awhile and I have tons of movies I've never watched. They, however look like total shit in comparison to my HD cable picture. I need to bump the picture up.

    Any ideas?
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

    Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

  2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    muchspl3's Avatar muchspl3 > muchspl2
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Location Location
    Posts
    1,824
    just get a line doubler and just use a phillips dvp642

    if you get a good one you can use it on everything sept hd content
    `anyone from Argentina on this board?

    I need your help and if you can help me pM me

  3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Darth Sushi's Avatar Sushi Lord
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Corisant
    Posts
    5,813
    It upconverts to 1080i (via HDMI cable) but no divx/xvid support:

    http://www.samsung.com/ca/products/d...d_hd950xac.asp

    There's even a hack to remove HDCP!

  4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    muchspl3's Avatar muchspl3 > muchspl2
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Location Location
    Posts
    1,824
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Sushi
    It upconverts to 1080i (via HDMI cable) but no divx/xvid support:

    http://www.samsung.com/ca/products/d...d_hd950xac.asp

    There's even a hack to remove HDCP!
    divx? xvid?
    `anyone from Argentina on this board?

    I need your help and if you can help me pM me

  5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Washington D.C.
    Posts
    13,839
    Quote Originally Posted by muchspl3
    just get a line doubler and just use a phillips dvp642

    if you get a good one you can use it on everything sept hd content
    How much is the line doubler?
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

    Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

  6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Washington D.C.
    Posts
    13,839
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Sushi
    It upconverts to 1080i (via HDMI cable) but no divx/xvid support:

    http://www.samsung.com/ca/products/d...d_hd950xac.asp

    There's even a hack to remove HDCP!
    No divx? Nope then.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

    Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

  7. Software & Hardware   -   #7

  8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    you must have a big-ass TV, if you really need the upconversion. i don't reckon the improvement would be noticeable at all on a screen smaller than about 40".

    if your TV doesn't have an HDMI or DVI input, then unfortunately yer options are gonna be limited as far as upconversion goes. if you do have HDMI, then you prolly have more options.

    i have one of these... http://www.liteonit.com/DC/english/lvd_2001.htm
    it's pretty good. dvd playback looks great, xvid & divx 5 playback are just as good as the philips, NTSC/PAL compatible & regionfree-able, divx 3.11 playback is shitty (but then, divx 3.11 is a shitty codec that nobody uses anymore), the firmware menu for browsing ISO discs is MUCH MUCH better-looking than the philips menu, it can incrementally stretch mpeg/avi files vertically & horizontally to fix incorrect aspect ratios, and it's one of the few players that does 720p & 1080i via component output (good for people who don't have digital inputs on their TV).

    that Lite-On model must be a rare item nowadays, since it originally had i think a single production run a few years ago. it was later re-badged as the Norcent DP-501M, which isn't quite as sturdy (Norcent's kinda a budget brand that you see a lot in stores like Walmart) but it's basically the same player and it can actually be updated with Lite-On's (newer & better) firmware if you edit one of the firmware's text files before burning it onto CD. firmware editing info here --> http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post3413001

    basically hollywood is doin' a number on us, and they don't want dvd players to output high-def without a "secure digital" connection (like HDMI). thus upconversion on component (analogue) output has become a big no-no. the full extent of these shenanigans prolly will not be realized by most people until HD-DVD and Blu-Ray Video are released, as those formats will not send 720p/1080i through component outputs -- a whole bunch of people with component-only HDTVs are gonna get screwed by the same electronics companies that sold the TVs to 'em (who will then be selling "HD" movie players that say "component only? fuck off. i give you... LOW DEFINITION, lolz"). in order to satisfy the movie studios, of course.
    Last edited by 3RA1N1AC; 10-16-2005 at 09:10 AM.

  9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    muchspl3's Avatar muchspl3 > muchspl2
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Location Location
    Posts
    1,824
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman
    Quote Originally Posted by muchspl3
    just get a line doubler and just use a phillips dvp642

    if you get a good one you can use it on everything sept hd content
    How much is the line doubler?
    for a good one 1k or more
    Last edited by muchspl3; 10-16-2005 at 03:58 PM.
    `anyone from Argentina on this board?

    I need your help and if you can help me pM me

  10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Washington D.C.
    Posts
    13,839
    Quote Originally Posted by 3RA1N1AC
    you must have a big-ass TV, if you really need the upconversion. i don't reckon the improvement would be noticeable at all on a screen smaller than about 40".

    if your TV doesn't have an HDMI or DVI input, then unfortunately yer options are gonna be limited as far as upconversion goes. if you do have HDMI, then you prolly have more options.

    i have one of these... http://www.liteonit.com/DC/english/lvd_2001.htm
    it's pretty good. dvd playback looks great, xvid & divx 5 playback are just as good as the philips, NTSC/PAL compatible & regionfree-able, divx 3.11 playback is shitty (but then, divx 3.11 is a shitty codec that nobody uses anymore), the firmware menu for browsing ISO discs is MUCH MUCH better-looking than the philips menu, it can incrementally stretch mpeg/avi files vertically & horizontally to fix incorrect aspect ratios, and it's one of the few players that does 720p & 1080i via component output (good for people who don't have digital inputs on their TV).

    that Lite-On model must be a rare item nowadays, since it originally had i think a single production run a few years ago. it was later re-badged as the Norcent DP-501M, which isn't quite as sturdy (Norcent's kinda a budget brand that you see a lot in stores like Walmart) but it's basically the same player and it can actually be updated with Lite-On's (newer & better) firmware if you edit one of the firmware's text files before burning it onto CD. firmware editing info here --> http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post3413001

    basically hollywood is doin' a number on us, and they don't want dvd players to output high-def without a "secure digital" connection (like HDMI). thus upconversion on component (analogue) output has become a big no-no. the full extent of these shenanigans prolly will not be realized by most people until HD-DVD and Blu-Ray Video are released, as those formats will not send 720p/1080i through component outputs -- a whole bunch of people with component-only HDTVs are gonna get screwed by the same electronics companies that sold the TVs to 'em (who will then be selling "HD" movie players that say "component only? fuck off. i give you... LOW DEFINITION, lolz"). in order to satisfy the movie studios, of course.
    I gotta 65" Mitsubishi HDTV w/DVI-D input.

    Looks like I'm going to go with the Oppo OPDV971H....

    1. Up Convert from 480i to 720p/1080i

    2. Plays Divx/XviD and .SRT, .SMI, .IDX and .SUB formats

    3. DVD Video & Audio, Divx/MPEG4, VCD, SVCD, CD, HDCD, WMA, DVD+R/RW, DVD-R/RW, CD-R/RW, CD-DA, MP3 ISO, MP4 ISO, Kodak Picture

    4. Region free

    5. DVI out (5' DVI-DVI-D cable included)

    6. Is top rated EVERYWHERE!!! (including their customer support)

    7. $200 ain't too bad

    8. If I order directly from Oppo I get a 6' DVI to HDMI cable. That's especially good if I get a different TV (they are HDMI now) or have some other need.

    I joined the AVS forum irregardless to my Motorola 6412 STB about a week ago and decided (today actually) to find out about a good Upconvert DVD player. I ran across many like the Samsung, Momitsu, and Panasonic but again Oppo's kept being everyone's choice.

    I wish I had checked back to this thread sooner. Woulda saved me alot of time. I actually missed Darth Sushi's and your post, 3RA1N1AC.

    I do thank you both, however. Your help is still much appreciated.
    Last edited by Busyman; 10-23-2005 at 02:00 AM.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

    Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •