Your Ad Here Your Ad Here
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 68

Thread: Your input is requested...

  1. #1
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Oh, please...
    Posts
    15,254
    In our recent and current Supreme Court appointment processes, I have observed and heard on several occasions the idea expressed (by minority and women's rights advocates), that rights ought to be continually expanded (unendingly, I guess) as an ongoing imperative of the Court.

    The idea is only expressed in the most generic terms, and only by these groups.

    I have been baffled as to what is meant by these groups, and how one (in the personage(s) of the Supreme Court) goes about "expanding" rights.

    Whence do new rights arise?

    By what process could a felt "need" for a new right be determined?
    “Think about how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of 'em are stupider than that.” -George Carlin

  2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,630
    I'm sure you have a specific chomping block to bite down on and I am sure I am going to omit that here.

    I'm not sure what you mean by "new rights". as oppose to rights that should not have been denied to begin with. Why did it take an amendment to abolish slavery when the intention of the framers was clear "secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity" Slaves were wrongly considered property and not "men".
    I realise that there was a whole "birth of the nation" going on and ratifications from various states took time but it shouldn't have needed a specific amendment IMO.

    it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

  3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Oh, please...
    Posts
    15,254
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc
    I'm sure you have a specific chomping block to bite down on and I am sure I am going to omit that here.

    I'm not sure what you mean by "new rights". as oppose to rights that should not have been denied to begin with. Why did it take an amendment to abolish slavery when the intention of the framers was clear "secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity" Slaves were wrongly considered property and not "men".
    I realise that there was a whole "birth of the nation" going on and ratifications from various states took time but it shouldn't have needed a specific amendment IMO.
    No "chomping block", but I'm sure several thoughts will be teased from my fertile mind as this thread gathers responses (IF it does ).

    I'm am not sure what these groups meant by "new rights" either, that is why I have asked.
    “Think about how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of 'em are stupider than that.” -George Carlin

  4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    MediaSlayer's Avatar slowly going deaf
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    ur anus
    Posts
    2,783
    j it's just a straightforward attempt to gain political ground by those who are currently under attack from the reactionary occupants of the white house who see this period we are in now as a good time to take all of our rights away. i.e. property rights, privacy rights, free speech, ect...


    sending fiery missiles in manker's japan's general direction.

  5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Oh, please...
    Posts
    15,254
    Quote Originally Posted by MediaSlayer
    j it's just a straightforward attempt to gain political ground by those who are currently under attack from the reactionary occupants of the white house who see this period we are in now as a good time to take all of our rights away. i.e. property rights, privacy rights, free speech, ect...
    Really.

    So who speaks for white guys?

    I don't recall any rulings that only affect women and/or minorities, do you?

    How come the ACLU (which presumes to speak for everyone ), isn't making any similar noises?

    In any case, they spoke of "continually-expanding rights", not safe-guarding rights, or recovering lost rights.

    If that had been their intent, that would have been how they worded their plaints, make no mistake.
    “Think about how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of 'em are stupider than that.” -George Carlin

  6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    MediaSlayer's Avatar slowly going deaf
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    ur anus
    Posts
    2,783
    youll have to wait now as my internet time is up


    sending fiery missiles in manker's japan's general direction.

  7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Oh, please...
    Posts
    15,254
    Quote Originally Posted by MediaSlayer
    youll have to wait now as my internet time is up
    Sorry to hear that, 'Slayer.
    “Think about how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of 'em are stupider than that.” -George Carlin

  8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Washington D.C.
    Posts
    13,839
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4
    Quote Originally Posted by MediaSlayer
    j it's just a straightforward attempt to gain political ground by those who are currently under attack from the reactionary occupants of the white house who see this period we are in now as a good time to take all of our rights away. i.e. property rights, privacy rights, free speech, ect...
    Really.

    So who speaks for white guys?

    I don't recall any rulings that only affect women and/or minorities, do you?

    How come the ACLU (which presumes to speak for everyone ), isn't making any similar noises?

    In any case, they spoke of "continually-expanding rights", not safe-guarding rights, or recovering lost rights.

    If that had been their intent, that would have been how they worded their plaints, make no mistake.
    Sighhhhh I'm sure wherever you heard this "expansion" there was an "expounding" on it. Let it out already.

    vid did make a good point about slavery though. An amendment was added but what was already there should have covered it.

    Wtf is "the Court" doing "expanding" rights anyway?
    Last edited by Busyman; 10-18-2005 at 12:00 AM.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

    Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

  9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Oh, please...
    Posts
    15,254
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4

    Really.

    So who speaks for white guys?

    I don't recall any rulings that only affect women and/or minorities, do you?

    How come the ACLU (which presumes to speak for everyone ), isn't making any similar noises?

    In any case, they spoke of "continually-expanding rights", not safe-guarding rights, or recovering lost rights.

    If that had been their intent, that would have been how they worded their plaints, make no mistake.
    Sighhhhh I'm sure wherever you heard this "expansion" there was an "expounding" on it. Let it out already.

    Wrong, Kemo Sabe.

    As I told vid, I'm looking for answers-I'm not baiting a "trap".


    vid did make a good point about slavery though. An amendment was added but what was already there should have covered it.

    Quite right; a good point, but not at all relevant to the topic.

    Wtf is "the Court" doing "expanding" rights anyway?
    Another good question, precursive or coincidental to my own, but, hey-I asked first.

    We can get to yours afterwards, or start another thread.
    “Think about how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of 'em are stupider than that.” -George Carlin

  10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,630
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4
    So who speaks for white guys?

    I don't recall any rulings that only affect women and/or minorities, do you?
    Can you give an example of civil liberties denied to white guys?

    it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •