Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Thread: America

Samurai's Avatar Usenet Fanboy
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyMetalParkingLot
    Quote Originally Posted by Samurai
    What?
    You stated "according to most Americans", please back this up with some evidence, otherwise you are just mouthing.
    I don't mouth. I state fact. If you want me to start doing my research I will. If it is needed. I'm sure I'm not the only one on the forum who has heard these myths.

2. Lounge   -   #12
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    This is a setup don't think I'll play, I said my peice in my first post .

3. Lounge   -   #13
    HeavyMetalParkingLot's Avatar Poster

You stated "according to most Americans", please back this up with some evidence, otherwise you are just mouthing.
    I don't mouth. I state fact. If you want me to start doing my research I will. If it is needed. I'm sure I'm not the only one on the forum who has heard these myths.
    Please do support your statement. All you have to do is prove that 151 million Americans believe this.
    Last edited by HeavyMetalParkingLot; 10-19-2005 at 01:51 AM.

4. Lounge   -   #14
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    It's just patriotism. It's the greatest country to Americans because it's home. The USA is better at some things not others, it all depends on your personal preferences.
    I would point out that even if someone states without reservation that the USA is better than everywhere else I doubt they would say it's perfect.
    I do wonder how many Americans have actually made the effort to find out by experiencing other nations, just as I wonder how many "anti" American people have bothered to visit here before they decide.

We have so many flags so we always have one at hand if we need to claim another nation as our through the cunning use of flags and as we have a flag we can't be claimed...no flag no country.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

5. Lounge   -   #15
    @ HeavyMetal - Oh FFS. You must be stupid. It's even portrayed on television in the States for cryin' out loud!

http://www.belowtopsecret.com/thread173911/pg1
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/notesandqu...-22429,00.html
    http://right-thinking.com/index.php/...comments/8557/

There's loads more, but I'm too tired (it's past 3am). I'll let this thread continue until whenever I come back to it. At the end of the day there are sterotypes on both sides. The thing is, some of us admit to them while others do not.
    Last edited by Samurai; 10-19-2005 at 02:02 AM.

6. Lounge   -   #16
    @ HeavyMetal - Oh FFS. You must be stupid. It's even portrayed on television in the States for cryin' out loud!

http://www.belowtopsecret.com/thread173911/pg1
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/notesandqu...-22429,00.html
    http://right-thinking.com/index.php/...comments/8557/

There's loads more, but I'm too tired (it's past 3am). I'll let this thread continue until whenever I come back to it. At the end of the day there are sterotypes on both sides. The thing is, some of us admit to them while others do not.
    I hear there are even aliens on tv. In fact I saw a movie where two alien races were trying to kill each other underneath the ice in the artic.

Really, please try to find a more credible source than television. Hell, I can watch BBC America and see those stereotypes. And that channel is programmed by the British.

Also, please show me the topic where I said stereotypes do not exist. Please don't try to switch things onto me due to your inability to back up your own words.

I will try to refrain from laughing hysterically at someone who tries to use a forum as a credible source.
    Last edited by HeavyMetalParkingLot; 10-19-2005 at 02:10 AM.

7. Lounge   -   #17
    Helghast004's Avatar Jelly Filled Donut

Please do support your statement. All you have to do is prove that 151 million Americans believe this.
    what is FACT is that most americans who use that form of generalization are usually just doing it to poke fun at the British people and do not believe that they all have bad teeth and eat crumpets.

What you want to here from him is to provide proof that the people saying such comments trully believe it. He's correct though, every society has some form of generalization put against them. No need to take it personally and pressure him for proof. He did say "myths" in his previous posts.

As for what I think of why Americans think America is so great...all I can say is its all about home town pride too the highest degree. Look at all the nations, you cannot tell me that their isnt at least a large majority who will not stay with their homeland no matter what is going on.

Obesity? Crime? Obesity is up to you to decide wether you want to be fat and as for crime, well you cant escape that. Its not wrong to think your nation is the best.

Whats with the flag? Well its a symbol of the nation, the same way you advertise your team at a sports game. It gives people a sense of pride and ditermination, at least for the people who respect and acknowledge it.

I'd say Canadians have in them aswell...

8. Lounge   -   #18
    @ HeavyParking - And if you read my post in the first place I said MOST Americans, not every single citizen.

Why use TV as the sole source for these sterotypes? I didn't say what is shown on TV to be factual, I'm saying that it exists and that many people from America believe these facts. You seem to be getting a tad confused there lad.
    Last edited by Samurai; 10-19-2005 at 02:15 AM.

9. Lounge   -   #19
    I was in no way taking it personally. I merely asked him to back up a statement he made in which he did not make ANY mention of myth in any way.

10. Lounge   -   #20
    And if you read my post in the first place I said MOST Americans, not every single citizen.
    I never said that you claimed every single citizen believed it. I asked you to provide proof that most Americans believe this to be true. In fact I specifically set 151 million as the target. 151 million = 50.5%.
    Last edited by HeavyMetalParkingLot; 10-19-2005 at 02:17 AM.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast