Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cable Modem Mistery

Hi there
    Here's the story:
    I'm connected via "motorola s84200 surfboard cable modem". my d/l is 750 k/bps and u/l is 96 k/bps.
    up until tonight I thought i have a good&fast connection and d/l speed.
    I started reading a little on this board becuase my kpp K-lite has started hogging all of my bandwidth(NOT cpu&#33.
    the first thing I noticed was that my d/l speed from K-lite is very very slow according to the speeds listed here.(my speed:0.1-5 k/bps and it should be 150-200 k/bps!!!&#33
    so I downloaded a tweak , "cablenut".
    It boosted my d/l instantly!!! but I still got only 20-40 k/bps and not 150-200.
    so I downloaded "tcp optimizer". that trashed my d/l back down.
    i tried the option of "restore windows defualt" in tcp-optimizer and even reinstalling cablenut again.(along with numerous restarts.... )
    NOTHING worked....my d/l is back to the bottom and i'm really uppset....
    can somebody please help me get it right once and for all ? I always give free upload from me (24/7) and all i want is a nice d/l speed in return....is that too much to ask for ?
    BTW - i'm from israel and i guess my d/l sould be a little slower then in the US but it still should be 0.1-8 k/bps , right ?
    if possible , please e-mail respone.[email protected]
    10x

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Poster
    Downloads tend to be random, based on WHO you connect to moreso than your connection's speed.

What you probably could watch to see if there's a REAL change in your connection is your uploads, because as long as you have 5-10 active uploads chances are REALLY HIGH that they will in total be maxing out your connection's upload speed.

If altogether they are only going at 5 KiloBytes/second or less, chances are there is some real problem and issue to deal with -- it could be even that your ISP has cripplied your connection due to 'overuse'...

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    I HAVE CABLE ALSO AND HAVE NEVER EXPERIENCED ANY PROBLEM DOWNLOADING. MY AVG SPEED ALSO DEPENDS IF THE GUYS UR DOWNLOADING FROM IF THEY HAVE DIAL UP THEN UT STUCK WITH A SLOW DOWNLOAD IF THE BANDWITH IS HIGHER THEN U'LL HAVE A FASTER DOWNLOAD

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Poster
    I have a Motorola SB4200 as well but im in UK. My download speeds when only having 2 or 3 people uploading is max: 70kb/s and min: 25kb/s
    My uploads are: max: 20kb/s min: 5kb/s

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Nightwolf's Avatar Old Guy
    You can't use Kazaa as a measure of how well your modem is working, because the speed varies too much based on who you are downloading from. Try going to the site below and running the T1/DSL/Cable test. Make sure you're not using Kazaa or anything else when you do it, and tell us what kind of results you get.

http://bandwidthplace.com/speedtest/

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    2.2 Megabit/s some worng..i think actually my speed 44 Megabit/s (DS3) hehe

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    hi all!
    10x for replying...
    I did the test and i was totally surprized
    490 kbps communications
    59.8 kbps storage
    17.1 sec for 1 MB d/l
    the test final result was "GREAT"....
    so i guess the porb isn't me or my connetion it's just the ppl that don't let me d/l from them....
    i'll bw happy to hear any more replies....
    have a nice week B)

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Poster
    What is your download speed from a dedicated server? The downstream rates from KaZaA Lite are determined from the upload capabilities to that of the user that is uploading the file that you are downloading. You may be downloading slow because someone may be providing a file from a 56 Kbps modem etc.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    I have a cable modem and always get really good dl speeds. The higher the bandwidth the person has that I am dl from the faster the dl. good luck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast