Thread: DVD Jon hired by San Diego music startup

peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    [news=http://news.google.com/news?imgefp=8OvHv75jXY4J&imgurl=www.bit-tech.net/news_images/dvd_jon_job_usa/article_img.jpg]SAN DIEGO -- The Norwegian who became a hacker hero at age 15 will have to adjust to warmer winters.

Jon Lech Johansen, also known as "DVD Jon" for his work with software to crack copy-protection in DVDs, began work in San Diego this week at MP3tunes, the digital music service started in February by Michael Robertson, an iconoclast in his own right.

As a teenager, Johansen developed and posted software called DeCSS to unlock the Content Scrambling System, or CSS, the film industry used on DVD movies to prevent illegal copying. After the film industry complained, Norwegian authorities charged him with data break-in, but Johansen was acquitted at trial and on appeal.

He has since posted programs that circumvent the copy-protection technologies on Apple Computer Inc.'s iTunes music software.

Johansen, 21, is working on a project at MP3tunes dubbed Oboe, which "will bring digital music into the 21st century," Robertson wrote on his Web site.

Source: http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/busine...an_Hacker.html[/news]

2. News (Archive)   -   #2
    muchspl3's Avatar muchspl3 > muchspl2
    so he joind the dark side
    `anyone from Argentina on this board?

I need your help and if you can help me pM me

3. News (Archive)   -   #3
    Darth Sushi's Avatar Sushi Lord
    Quote Originally Posted by muchspl3
    The guy have to make a living somehow.

4. News (Archive)   -   #4
    Quote Originally Posted by muchspl3
    they always do, eventually.

basically the hax0rz scene is where a lot of the best, brightest & most imaginative young programmers strut their stuff and catch the attention of tech companies. i think the companies prolly figure "well if these guys know how to find & exploit flaws in our systems, maybe we ought to hire them to fix those flaws."

5. News (Archive)   -   #5
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    It does seem an odd match tho , Robertson founded Lindows or Linspire as its called now. Selling open source seems low but if people buy it hey power to him .

6. News (Archive)   -   #6
    hacker become genuis

another bill gates alternative