Thread: Torrent speeds

Is there anyway of increasing the speed of torrents? Not using a private tracker that is, i mean i know the amount of seeders and leechers count towards the speed you can download at. But on my 1meg connection im only getting around 5-10mb/s download speeds with around 60 seeders, seeder number is according to bitcomet.

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    sameer0807's Avatar I aIn'T nO sErIoUs
    Quote Originally Posted by scott_pd
    Is there anyway of increasing the speed of torrents? Not using a private tracker that is, i mean i know the amount of seeders and leechers count towards the speed you can download at. But on my 1meg connection im only getting around 5-10mb/s download speeds with around 60 seeders, seeder number is according to bitcomet.
    what BT client you use? Do u have a router hooked up?
    Last edited by sameer0807; 10-21-2005 at 10:10 PM.

"I'll be here... I'll be 'waiting'...here... I'll be waiting... for you ... so... If you come here... You'll find me. I promise..."

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    I use bitcomet, and i dont have a router

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    k285715
    I recently had a major problem with d/l speed. no torrent was getting past about 5 kB/s (my line speed was at 2 mb/s) I thought it might be client, system resources, number of torrents being downloaded at once or even traffic shaping by isp...in the end i had a look into my client's (azureus) transfer settings and set the upload limit to about 80% of my available upload bandwidth. Voila - the speed shot up to 40-60 kB/s for multiple files. basically i was now using my full bandwidth if there were enough seeds. It seems, if you have a lot of connections (either loads of torrents downloading or loads of peer connections for any source), there was so much upload being used to keep connections alive and upload file segments that (and this is where it gets technical) something called an ACK (or acknowledge packet) was not being sent back after any given piece of file was downloaded telling the source that it was ok to send the next one. Sorry the message is so long but hope this helps - worked wonders for me

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    twisterX's Avatar Poster
    It all depends on the thing you are downloading.

I know that sharing more doesnt do shit. Some torrents go faster than others.

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    chillie willie
    Tome it doesn't make much difference. On a good day I can connect at 26.4K, on a 56K dialup. Most of the time a blazing 24K speed. Too far from town for anything faster. On a good day It's slow.

Wonder what to change in my settings in abc. LOL

chuck

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    all depends on a few things ill list below

1: amount of seeds
    2: speed of seeds
    3: tracker
    4: bandwidth settings (how much you limit your upload)

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    snarler45's Avatar Dont touch the wires
    Quote Originally Posted by scott_pd
    You need to read this and sort out your connection (if you have not done so).
    http://dessent.net/btfaq/
    You need to be connectable ie have ports open in your firewall. There is a site you can test from. If you are not connectable you will not get much from any swarm.

I use bitcomet 0.56 and it is great.

Good luck
    For Christ's sake don't touch the wires