Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Indie/emo Fans?!?

I notice a lot of people on this board that are into the more mainstream stuff, so I am trying to find all the Indie fans!!!!!!!!!!!!
    What are some peoples favorite Indie/Emo bands?

2. Music   -   #2
    MagicNakor's Avatar On the Peripheral
    I must say I've never even heard of "emo."

things are quiet until hitler decides he'd like to invade russia
    so, he does
    the russians are like "OMG WTF D00DZ, STOP TKING"
    and the germans are still like "omg ph34r n00bz"
    the russians fall back, all the way to moscow
    and then they all begin h4xing, which brings on the russian winter
    the germans are like "wtf, h4x"
    -- WW2 for the l33t

3. Music   -   #3
    Emo stand for "emotional" music. It is usually lumped in with Indie Rock. Emo is also kind of hard to define since there is not a real music style to it. Emo usualy deals with the lyrics. The lyrics are usually about the loss of love and quite depressing. The one feature that all Emo bands usually possess are very high, whiney vocals.

Examples:

Dashboard Confessional: A lot of people don't consider them Emo, but to me they follow the format.

The Juliana Theory: The CD title "Emotion is Dead" is very much emo

Further Seems Forever: The album "Moon Is Down" is emo

One Line Drawing: Similar to Dashboard Confessional

Two Thirty Eight: Almost an Emocore band.

Those are some examples and like all good genres Emo has many sub genres such as Emocore, Scremo, etc.

Hope that helps, and if anyone thinks my definition is wrong or wants to add anything feel free.

4. Music   -   #4
    MagicNakor's Avatar On the Peripheral
    Couldn't it be argued that most music is emotional?

High, whiny voices tend to produce the "headache emotion" in me.

things are quiet until hitler decides he'd like to invade russia
    so, he does
    the russians are like "OMG WTF D00DZ, STOP TKING"
    and the germans are still like "omg ph34r n00bz"
    the russians fall back, all the way to moscow
    and then they all begin h4xing, which brings on the russian winter
    the germans are like "wtf, h4x"
    -- WW2 for the l33t

5. Music   -   #5
    Emo is a bunch of babys whining about stupid stuff in really high anoying voices

6. Music   -   #6
    Originally posted by emo_fan77@16 April 2003 - 03:33
    Emo has many sub genres such as Emocore, Scremo, etc.

Hope that helps, and if anyone thinks my definition is wrong or wants to add anything feel free.
    I must admit I'd never heard of "emo" until I read this post. AND it has sub-genres. I am so out of touch!! Surely it should just be called "Indie". All this endless categorisation of music is just crap. Anyway, "Indie" means anything released on an independent record label. Kylie Minogue's "I Should Be So Lucky" was number 1 in the UK Indie chart for ages. So the genre is VERY wide ranging.

I was quite an Indie fan in my youth and liked loads of bands:

Wonderstuff
    Spacemen 3
    Butthole Surfers
    Pogues
    Stone Roses
    House of Love
    Joy Division
    New Order
    The Smiths
    The Wedding Present

Indie was a sideline to my main passion though.
    Signature removed

7. Music   -   #7
    Originally posted by emo_fan77@16 April 2003 - 03:33
    Emo has many sub genres such as Emocore, Scremo, etc.

I must admit I'd never heard of "emo" until I read this post. AND it has sub-genres. I am so out of touch!!

Surely it should just be called "Indie". All this endless categorisation of music is just crap. Anyway, "Indie" means anything released on an independent record label. Kylie Minogue's "I Should Be So Lucky" was number 1 in the UK Indie chart for ages. So the genre is VERY wide ranging.

I was quite an Indie fan in my youth and liked loads of bands:

Wonderstuff
    Spacemen 3
    Butthole Surfers
    Pogues
    Stone Roses
    House of Love
    Joy Division
    New Order
    The Smiths
    The Wedding Present
    Happy Mondays

Indie was a sideline to my main passion though.
    Signature removed

8. Music   -   #8
    actually Indie is now a genre. There are indy bands which are what you are talking about, and the Indie bands. Indie rock has its on style as well. Yes, I know it is all confusing but thats the way it goes I guesss.

Yeah thats the reason a lot of people argue it should not be called Emo; however, Emo is usually a lot more emotional then most music. In the more underground Emo it is not uncommon to see the singer break down into tears during the set. Also emo bands are usually very close to their fans and rely on them heavily.

I am going to look for an article that was posted once about Emo music and its subgenres. If I find it I will post it and hopefully it will help.

9. Music   -   #9
    Poster
    Originally posted by emo_fan77@16 April 2003 - 14:48
    actually Indie is now a genre. There are indy bands which are what you are talking about, and the Indie bands. Indie rock has its on style as well. Yes, I know it is all confusing but thats the way it goes I guesss.

Yeah thats the reason a lot of people argue it should not be called Emo; however, Emo is usually a lot more emotional then most music. In the more underground Emo it is not uncommon to see the singer break down into tears during the set. Also emo bands are usually very close to their fans and rely on them heavily.

I am going to look for an article that was posted once about Emo music and its subgenres. If I find it I will post it and hopefully it will help.
    I consider myself to be a big indie fan and have done for years now but i have never heard of 'emo' music as a genre,where abouts in the world are you?As sometimes genre's are named differently in various parts of the world,im in England and as i said never come accross 'emo'.

Would be interested to read any articles you find on this subject,thanks

10. Music   -   #10
    http://www.fourfa.com/styles/stylesintro.htm

There is some background on Emo. They differ from me some on the definition, but like I said Emo is very hard to define and almost eveyone has a different definition for it. But check it out and let me know what you think.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast