Thread: Where did my XP themes go?

I didnt like the XP theme so I switched my system to classic for the past few months. Now I want to switch back and I go to change them back in desktop properties under themes and they are no longer there. All that shows up are current theme and windows classic along with search for more themes online and browse.

How can I get the standard windows XP silver or blue theme back onto my computer?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Guillaume's Avatar Kentish old lady BT Rep: +8BT Rep +8
    Have you perchance disabled the "Themes" service of windows XP?

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    I dont know how I would do that?

I installed longhorn and vista shell packs and they didnt come up, just the icons were changed, so maybe your right, how would I fix that do you know?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Click "start" then "Run".
    Type "services.msc" then click ok.
    A "Services "window shoul pop up. Scroll down that window and see if the "Themes" service is enabled and started.
    If not, do it. You may have to reboot though.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    yeah I already did that and its not working, I dont think the themes are even on my computer, is there some way to get them?

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    There must be a way to get them from the windows install disk but I don't know it yet.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Your themes Are stored in

C:\WINDOWS\Resources\Themes

Go to the folder and check to see if you have any theme files, If so click on 1 and it should open it up in the Theme Pane Of Display Properties .You can then select the new theme as normal.

If there are no files then search google for windows theme files download them then place them in this folder

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    I got it to work, got windows XP themes up and running now the problem is this, the vista shell pack isnt working, the icons work but the folders dont have the custamizations

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    got it working, thanks all