Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789

Thread: Copyright

Poster
    Originally posted by REALITY@24 April 2003 - 21:20
    I am again not conserned about anyone getting a warrant but am concerned about getting denial of service.
    Curious, I use all the same but how do you change your ip daily?
    Let me know.
    I don't change it once a day myself. My understanding is that, this is done by my broadband provider. It is a security measure. Both Telewest and NTL do this.

The cable "modem" also gets a new ip every time it reboots, so if I chose to I can do it that way

I also have the Router set to obtain the ip address automatically. So it accepts the ip address as supplied by the cable "modem"

I have said it elsewhere. Unless someone is doing their own hosting they should avoid static ips wherever possible.

2. File Sharing   -   #82
    Jibbler's Avatar proud member of MDS
    I have a static IP. My broadband provider keeps them for about 2 weeks before they get recycled. I been sharing files for years, and haven't had any problems yet. Surely it would be a rare instance actually getting caught. So, like JimF, I'll take my chances. Hopefully this thread has helped clear up the grey area for some of the newbies.
    Proud member of MDS

3. File Sharing   -   #83
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    If anything, this thread eliminated the black and white and showed that it's ALL grey right now.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

4. File Sharing   -   #84
    Jibbler's Avatar proud member of MDS
    Originally posted by clocker@24 April 2003 - 20:12
    If anything, this thread eliminated the black and white and showed that it's ALL grey right now.
    Good point Clocker. Race ya to the movie theater?
    Proud member of MDS

5. File Sharing   -   #85
    1/2 Man, 1/2 Amazing
    Sorry guys... I beat you there already.... as I work part time there...

I am contracted by a independant company to do seat counts/head counts, and trailer checks, (checking for certain trailers, b4 certian films, etc), at theaters throughout west michigan. Ya, its nice. hehe, as I get to see free movie!

6. File Sharing   -   #86
    Originally posted by Schmiggy_JK23+23 April 2003 - 12:50--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Schmiggy_JK23 @ 23 April 2003 - 12:50)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--WebCheF@20 April 2003 - 23:00
    There is no law with a copy of protected media, just law to prohibit the use of it for a profit, such as entertainment at a club,&nbsp; dj&#39;s, bands, distributers, and publicly displaying the content for a fee.

Not to share, but you can&#39;t share media that has not been released. such as movies, songs, and inteligence.

I mean we do have radio&#39;s and tv&#39;s that we can collect this from also, but it is not illegal. so long as there is no motive for profit.
    No your wrong. Read this... DMCA and DVD info

The DMCA, prevents the copying, or in essence, the thwarting of any digital encryption, etc, in any form.

You cannot, at this time... legal copy your own DVD&#39;s that you have purchased, or make back up cds, of cds that have encryption... its illegal to cirumvent it on software also.

This of course leads to the debate of "fair use", which the supreme court entitled years ago. Which of course, is the biggest reason to overturn, or modify the DMCA....

xanex... that also aplies to your so called rule of one... which, if its encrypted... gets thrown out the window, and is the rule of none...

sucks dont it... [/b][/quote]
    I have to bow,

Ok, guess I was just excited and got carried away, er,pulled some of that shit out of my ass, lol

Hey, it sounded good to me at the time. But, I can admit I am wrong, when someone calls my bluff. lol

BTW, thanks for the skinny on the copy thing though Smigs

7. File Sharing   -   #87
    Originally posted by Schmiggy_JK23@25 April 2003 - 12:21
    Sorry guys... I beat you there already.... as I work part time there...

I am contracted by a independant company to do seat counts/head counts, and trailer checks, (checking for certain trailers, b4 certian films, etc), at theaters throughout west michigan. Ya, its nice. hehe, as I get to see free movie&#33;
    Question? In your work, which I AM jealous,lol, What would, say, happen to someone caught with a , oh let&#39;s say a "cam" is that real bad?

I said it with sarcasm, but I realy am curious. I know the security has been beefed up due to the issue.

8. File Sharing   -   #88
    Poster
    Originally posted by Xanex@17 April 2003 - 13:47
    Im not in th USA, im UK but from what I have read and heard some parts of the US constitution seem to protect you the person, but in fact open the can of worms to the government to own you if they so wish.

If read carefully, the average US citizen actaully has little of their own rights that cant be overturned or blocked by some ammendment or courtcase.

This website was quite a intersting read, dunno how much of it is true though.

http://www.gemworld.com/USAvsUS.htm

( I particualy like the bit about your children not being your own)

But this post is aobut copyright anyway....

Quote: From RIAA website
    "The Congress shall have Power . . . To promote the Progress of Science and useful Arts, by securing for limited Times to Authors and Inventors the exclusive Right to their respective Writings and Discoveries ."

(/offpostTopic what makes me laugh is that most american companys believe that they can succesfully sue a person even tho they are not in the country, haha, INFO: USA law is just that, USA ONLY. unless some international law comes about then nothing can be done, even then the law only applies to those countrys that are part of that international union.)

Basically copyright is that you own the rights to anything that you yourself have made, to prevent other people from stealing your ideas and claiming them as your own. The origenal Copyright has nothing to do with ripping a song to your pc thou it holds for most things.

EG Dyson the vaccum cleaner guy , he has to copyright his designs so people dont use them in their machines.

Though if you read it carefully, it says for a limited time. This opens the doors for the copyright protectors to charge you countless sums of money to keep your idea your idea.

Gone where the days where if you have the deed to your house then its your house, and if someone has your deed, by law its their house, though you would like to try and proove that it is your house and thus we move to todays "ownership" standards.

(Now im not bashing the usa constitution, nor do i wish a flame war, tho i feel that some heavy patriots will take offense to what i say because im challenging their beliefs, and because of their Quote: sheer bloody mindedness in thinking that the USA is the center of the world, -excerpt from some post i cant find right now.)
    But if people use their brains and not believe the things that they have been spoon fed over the decades then they will see the truth.)

Now copyright has taken on another form being that it now is supposed to protect the owners money, since each song cost money each copy is vital, they are all like scrooges hording their copys of songs. So if u copy a song you are stealing from the owner (haha). It reminds me of my mum, she goes shopping and its sale day, she buys somthing that is reduced, comes home and says "look how much i saved, i reply "u aint saved nothing, uve spent that money actaully"

Just some random BS that popped into my head right now,

Xanex
    that was a long read
    Overnet Lite 0.53

Free hosting for P2P clients - PM me

9. File Sharing   -   #89
    Xanex's Avatar Poster
    aye so it was, i didn&#39;t ever expect one of my posts to cause such a stir on these boards, although it hasnt got the biggest post count in the world it sure beats some of the poct count building replys of...

that you get, as i said, i like to put thought into my posts. glad you enjoyied it.

I may not have the biggest post count in the forum but i am one of the oldest members and i think that that holds something in this world.

the rule of one copy still prevails

Xan

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789