Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Copyright

Xanex's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by JmiF+22 April 2003 - 18:40--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (JmiF @ 22 April 2003 - 18:40)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Xanex@22 April 2003 - 18:15
    You are allowed believe it or not to make a working back up copy of anything like tape/vhs/dvd/mp3 etc etc as long as 1) you own the origenal and 2) if the origenal is lost/stolen/sold/broken?? (not sure since that was the point in some cases of making th bakup so the origenal was safe) and if it is then you are to destroy the back up copy forthwit.

You are only alowed to make 1 working back up copy, count it one&#33;
    For clarification. This is not the case in the UK, though many people think it is. [/b][/quote]
    I have yet to see any court case about mp3 stuff etc etc so either they are not enforcing it or they cant yet

2. File Sharing   -   #42
    1/2 Man, 1/2 Amazing
    Originally posted by Jibbler@20 April 2003 - 20:22
    I think I&#39;m going to copyright all of my posts, so that no one here can "quote" me without my expressed written permission.
    LMAO&#33; Jibbler, you are my hero. lol.

Oh shit... what kind of royalties do i owe for that?

3. File Sharing   -   #43
    1/2 Man, 1/2 Amazing
    Originally posted by WebCheF@20 April 2003 - 23:00
    There is no law with a copy of protected media, just law to prohibit the use of it for a profit, such as entertainment at a club,&nbsp; dj&#39;s, bands, distributers, and publicly displaying the content for a fee.

Not to share, but you can&#39;t share media that has not been released. such as movies, songs, and inteligence.

I mean we do have radio&#39;s and tv&#39;s that we can collect this from also, but it is not illegal.&nbsp; so long as there is no motive for profit.
    No your wrong. Read this... DMCA and DVD info

The DMCA, prevents the copying, or in essence, the thwarting of any digital encryption, etc, in any form.

You cannot, at this time... legal copy your own DVD&#39;s that you have purchased, or make back up cds, of cds that have encryption... its illegal to cirumvent it on software also.

This of course leads to the debate of "fair use", which the supreme court entitled years ago. Which of course, is the biggest reason to overturn, or modify the DMCA....

xanex... that also aplies to your so called rule of one... which, if its encrypted... gets thrown out the window, and is the rule of none...

sucks dont it...

4. File Sharing   -   #44
    1/2 Man, 1/2 Amazing
    Originally posted by Xanex@22 April 2003 - 12:15
    take the case of courtny love and nirvanas songs, she owns the copyright on countless un released nirvana songs that the band wrote, not just kurt, so they are not allowed to release these songs because she is freezing the copyright and prohibiting the songs release

Xanex
    This is also wrong.

The problem with the "unreleased nirvana" tracks, was merely a power struggle. She didnt own shit. She merely inherited kurts so called "vote", as nirvana was run as a democracy, 3 members, 3 votes, on such issues. The band, whats left of it, dave and the other guy, voted obviously, and wanted the unreleased stuff out. Courtney only having one vote, and not wanting the songs out, as it was rumored she wanted to leverage them in a new record deal for hole, took them to court, saying kurt always said to her that he was the propriatary figure in nirvana, etc, etc, and that he was going to leave the band, etc, etc, therefore she should get sole rights to the unreleased material. However, her and the band, came to some mutual arrangement, in the wanning hours of the case, and worked it out.

btw, i still think she put a hit out on him, but thats an entire new thread.

5. File Sharing   -   #45
    1/2 Man, 1/2 Amazing
    Originally posted by clocker@21 April 2003 - 19:22
    Of course there is&#33;

Industry sales records show a 20 something% drop in sales in the last two years.
    You/we give their product away&#33;

A first year law student would have us breaking rocks in Sing Sing in about a half an hour&#33;
    Are you so sure? Maybe you should talk to a economics major before that...

any ways... listen...

1. The economy is in a decline, thus, there is less disposable income for such things.
    2. The DVD/movie industry is booming... dvds only taking off in the past few years... wow, crazy... right around the time that music sales started taking a shit.
    3. The video game market is also booming... console sales, pc game sales, software sales are skyrocketing. GTA3 any one? PS2 any one? Zelda?
    4. Its fairly common knowledge that people dont feel cds are worth thier entertainment value/price per buck.

this all leads to people spending less on things in general, less on music, more on what they feel is the better "bang for their buck"...

Im not doubting that cd sales drop somewhat because of piracy... but its not the main reason... dont buy into the RIAA&#39;s sad song. Other countries have had rises in sales, some staying even. People are spending their entertainment dollar elsewhere, and its pissing the RIAA off... they cant sue the MPAA for their drop in sales... but they can try to get us... so they do....

6. File Sharing   -   #46
    Xanex's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by Schmiggy_JK23+23 April 2003 - 12:50--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Schmiggy_JK23 @ 23 April 2003 - 12:50)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--WebCheF@20 April 2003 - 23:00
    There is no law with a copy of protected media, just law to prohibit the use of it for a profit, such as entertainment at a club,&nbsp; dj&#39;s, bands, distributers, and publicly displaying the content for a fee.

Not to share, but you can&#39;t share media that has not been released. such as movies, songs, and inteligence.

I mean we do have radio&#39;s and tv&#39;s that we can collect this from also, but it is not illegal. so long as there is no motive for profit.
    No your wrong. Read this... DMCA and DVD info

The DMCA, prevents the copying, or in essence, the thwarting of any digital encryption, etc, in any form.

You cannot, at this time... legal copy your own DVD&#39;s that you have purchased, or make back up cds, of cds that have encryption... its illegal to cirumvent it on software also.

This of course leads to the debate of "fair use", which the supreme court entitled years ago. Which of course, is the biggest reason to overturn, or modify the DMCA....

xanex... that also aplies to your so called rule of one... which, if its encrypted... gets thrown out the window, and is the rule of none...

sucks dont it... [/b][/quote]

Ur link is US related.

I dont know if it applies to the UK

it seems to be a trend that if the law is applicable in the USA then people automatically assume its applicable in other countrys.

US law is not UK law

7. File Sharing   -   #47
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Xanex, you might find it instructive to check out some of JmiF&#39;s posts on this subject. He is from the UK and has posted the relevant UK law.
    Assuming he is correct- and I have no reason to think otherwise - you are DEAD WRONG.

It&#39;s easy to castigate US law, and even more tempting to assume that your local legislation is more sensible, but I think that you&#39;ll find that the RIAA and their kind have been very active internationally for some years.
    We may be the focus of attention today, but don&#39;t kid yourself, they laid the groundwork for an attack on you years ago.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

8. File Sharing   -   #48
    1/2 Man, 1/2 Amazing
    ya, dont think cuz your in the UK your above US law... just ask the guy who created Decss... he thought he was too, as he was german if not mistaken...

And yes... you may like your laws better... but its very easy for international law to take precendence, and or countries or locals give in to expedition, etc...

9. File Sharing   -   #49
    Xanex's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by clocker@23 April 2003 - 14:06
    Xanex, you might find it instructive to check out some of JmiF&#39;s posts on this subject. He is from the UK and has posted the relevant UK law.
    Assuming he is correct- and I have no reason to think otherwise - you are DEAD WRONG.

It&#39;s easy to castigate US law, and even more tempting to assume that your local legislation is more sensible, but I think that you&#39;ll find that the RIAA and their kind have been very active internationally for some years.
    We may be the focus of attention today, but don&#39;t kid yourself, they laid the groundwork for an attack on you years ago.
    I have done, and yes assuming he is right tho assuming i am right. either way

I am UK too, my post was refering to the DVD site link posted.

It may astonish you but they have to get international law.

FFS there is a US law that might be passed that would make firewalls illegal, and some people will try to make it seem it applys to us in the UK, i dont forsee any way that that law will be made international

And if you where to read my post carfully u will find that i have no doubt about the international aspect I am refering directly to US law and its power in other countrys, in which case its international law, and as of yet i have to yet to see a digital copyright law expressed by the so called riaa, and their views on the deal.

US laws do not have direct power over other countrys.

Example: age of 21 in the USA to drink: 18 in the UK etc etc

Xanex

10. File Sharing   -   #50
    Xanex's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by Schmiggy_JK23@23 April 2003 - 14:26
    ya, dont think cuz your in the UK your above US law... just ask the guy who created Decss... he thought he was too, as he was german if not mistaken...

And yes... you may like your laws better... but its very easy for international law to take precendence, and or countries or locals give in to expedition, etc...
    Well US law dont mean dick to me over here. If they want me for something they would have to proove to my government that i have broken the law here 1st then if not then they can extridite me but i doubt that the "Crimes" i have commited are worth going to war over

US law ha&#33; I&#39;ll care about US law when im in the US. How can i break a law of a country im not in.

The digital copyright thing is still hazy over here, they aint decided. and they wont yet not till US corporate companys get off their high horse trying to save the world.

I think they got that DeCSS guy on the "code breaking" aspect. he technically broke international law by decoding an encryoted piece of software, which is illegal internationally, if it wernt they would have nothing on him.
    Xanex

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast