Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How can you tell if a DVD has been compressed?

What would you guys say the "average" bitrate of retail dvds are? And I know it varies...but usually they are around _________ so that I know if a dvd i download has under this average or over.

2. Movies & TV   -   #12
    Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by Flav_cool
    What would you guys say the "average" bitrate of retail dvds are? And I know it varies...but usually they are around _________ so that I know if a dvd i download has under this average or over.
    noone knows that. depends on runtime, menu size and how many extra's...
    Last edited by {I}{K}{E}; 11-20-2005 at 09:10 PM.

3. Movies & TV   -   #13
    I know but give me a let's say an average for a 2 hour movie...I don't need an exact number just and approximation like ~4000kbps, ~5000, ~6000, etc

4. Movies & TV   -   #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Flav_cool
    I know but give me a let's say an average for a 2 hour movie...I don't need an exact number just and approximation like ~4000kbps, ~5000, ~6000, etc
    dual layer with no extras would prolly be close to the bitrate limit of 9000. like superbit editions and criterion collection two-disc sets (where disc 1 is just the movie and disc 2 is the extras).

single layer with no extras, or dual layer with a nice pile of extras... maybe around 5000-6000.

single layer with a bunch of extras... well, i think most video companies are wise enough not to attempt such a thing. 'cause once you get down near 3000 at full resolution (720x480. dvd-video supports lower resolutions but i don't think they're ever really used professionally.) the picture quality gets pretty ugly. 4000-5000 is about as low as you can go in most cases.

HOWEVER the estimates i gave are very very rough. as IKE said, the actual numbers on movie discs are all over the place. ideally for a full color, 90-120 minute movie, with a lot of movement, they usually want to keep it somewhere between 5000 and 9000. but you know, it varies by content. black & white movies (color data counts for a large part of the bitrate), cartoons that don't have a lot of visual detail, tv shows like sitcoms where people mainly stand around & talk instead of running & blowing sh1t up... that's the kind of stuff where they can get away with using relatively low bitrates.
    Last edited by 3RA1N1AC; 11-20-2005 at 08:11 PM.

5. Movies & TV   -   #15
    Cool man thanks, very informative and exactly what I was looking for!

Now the only thing I've never understood is how more bits gives better quality. Like kbps refers to kilobits per second for every pixel added up right?

What does assigining more bits to a pixel do?

I used to think that what mattered was resolution and I obviously know that this is wrong but I don't quite see why.
    Last edited by Flav_cool; 11-20-2005 at 10:31 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12