Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How can you tell if a DVD has been compressed?

Question Mark

Hi,

I'd like to know a way to detect and confirm whether a dvd has been compressed with something like dvd shrink because on most torrent sites they don't specify.

Thanks

2. Movies & TV   -   #2
    Alien5's Avatar μετά BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    the ones on torrent sites are not compressed

3. Movies & TV   -   #3
    Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by Alien5
    the ones on torrent sites are not compressed
    ???

yes they are.

99,9% of all new DVD releases are DVD9.

4. Movies & TV   -   #4
    Darth Sushi's Avatar Sushi Lord
    You'll also notice that DVDs encoded with DVDShrink will have approximately the same file size (just shy of 4.5GB). This due to the target size setting in DVDShrink.

5. Movies & TV   -   #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Sushi
    You'll also notice that DVDs encoded with DVDShrink will have approximately the same file size (just shy of 4.5GB). This due to the target size setting in DVDShrink.
    this MAY be achieved by deleting some of the extra features or re-compressing the menus/features though, so it doesn't necessarily tell you whether the movie itself has been re-compressed, unfortunately.

i'd guess that the only ways you can tell whether a movie's been re-compressed are:
    1) the nfo file says so
    2) you know that the original disc was much larger
    or
    3) you have a sharp eye and just know how to spot re-compressed video
    Last edited by 3RA1N1AC; 10-29-2005 at 05:02 PM.

6. Movies & TV   -   #6
    Gripper's Avatar Dexter's Apprentice.
    so if they fit a 4.7(dvd5) they may have been compressed or not,just had all the extras and crap cut out,and if they are larger(dvd9) they are untouched.
    Wondering if the running time could be a factor,if its short,like 80mins it'd fit a 4.7 uncompressed and if it's a 120mins ti'd have to be compressed

All spelling mistakes and grammatical errors in my post's are intentional.

7. Movies & TV   -   #7
    depends on who ripped it, there is no way to tell. Unless you know the person that originally ripped the movie there is no way to tell unless you download it.
    Customer: "I want to download the Internet. Do I need a bigger hard disk?"

8. Movies & TV   -   #8
    Hmmm...ok I was thinking if it's over 120 min it was definetly ripped? (Since 4.7gb dvd is 120 min? ...but that would be at some sort of "standard" bitrate, but dvd's differ in bitrates right?)

9. Movies & TV   -   #9
    Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by Flav_cool
    Hmmm...ok I was thinking if it's over 120 min it was definetly ripped? (Since 4.7gb dvd is 120 min? ...but that would be at some sort of "standard" bitrate, but dvd's differ in bitrates right?)
    that's incorrect. the time (120 min.) on a DVD is used when you create a music DVD.

10. Movies & TV   -   #10
    Darth Sushi's Avatar Sushi Lord
    That 120min is based on one and only one codec/format. If I use .wav on one cd and .mp3 on another, which do you think will have a longer playing time if both were exactly the same file size. Also, the bitrate will play a big roll on the size of the movie. I have 2 "Lawrence of Arabia" DVDs. Both have the same run-time yet the SuperBit version spans 2 DVDs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast