Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suicidal Iran

Gripper's Avatar Dexter's Apprentice.
    http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...i120203D17.DTL Not the brightest thing to come out with when the politicians of the west are looking for the next scapegoat to attack,to distract "joe public" from their shortcomings.

All spelling mistakes and grammatical errors in my post's are intentional.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    DanB's Avatar Smoke weed everyday
    Well what better arguemnet could there be for bombing them back to the iron age than 'that comment'

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    The actual comment seemed to imply that it would be the Palestinians that would do the wiping. I do not think anyone is holding their breath.

Nevertheless, a stupid comment said at a radical student rally. The guy still thinks it is 1979.

That said, Iran has been a bit gallous of late ... leading one to suspect that they are about to unveil that they are further ahead with the bomb thing than people thought and consequently can peer over it to hurl insults as they see fit.

As long as that is all they do
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    They're's Avatar Bored posty
    I don't think one of the western powers would hesitate to make a pre-emptive strike if Iran tried pulling that one,nuclear blackmail won't cut it,not with today's tactical nuclear weapons.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    just blow all of the middle east countrys up and be done with it all and we shall all have peace and happiness

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    Gripper's Avatar Dexter's Apprentice.
    No I don't think that's the way to go,but it dosn't surprise me that the suggestion's been made.
    Some people think genocide is the way to go,lets hope we never get led down that path again.

All spelling mistakes and grammatical errors in my post's are intentional.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Well, then.

All this makes me wonder why no one here (or anywhere else, for that matter) attempts a parsing/criticism of this type of commentary; are such comments properly excused or ignored because they come from a country so culturally dense as to defy our understanding?

Honestly, why is the Israeli claim to Jerusalem and the Holy Land rejected out of hand, while we all stand by, hat-in-hand, attempting to "understand" the motivation to erase another culture?

Current/eternal strife aside, that this "message" has not been eradicated, that it is not a major focus of, say, the United Nations, is a surpassing enigma.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    cpt_azad's Avatar Colonel
    First off read the comment under my sig.

Done?

Ok, I condemn those remarks made by the Iranian president completely, I too would like to see a Palestinan state created not through violence but negotiation and diplomacy, but we all know that's never going to happen, at least a state where both sides can freely live in (long shot, but it might work out). But wiping out Israel? 1) Impossible 2) Just plain stupid.

As for oxygenuk, you say we should bomb the M.E. altogether? Well what good are you compared to the Iranian president? If anything you're opinions portray you as Hitler or Stalin when compared to the comments of the Iranian president.

Jeff Loomis: He's so good, he doesn't need to be dead to have a tribute.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4

Current/eternal strife aside, that this "message" has not been eradicated, that it is not a major focus of, say, the United Nations, is a surpassing enigma.
    The enigma to me is that after you constantly repudiate the UN as having any relevancy you might suggest it focuses on anything

Of course it is not good for Irans leader to make such statements.
    Last edited by vidcc; 10-30-2005 at 02:18 AM.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    Quote Originally Posted by They're
    I don't think one of the western powers would hesitate to make a pre-emptive strike if Iran tried pulling that one,nuclear blackmail won't cut it,not with today's tactical nuclear weapons.
    See N Korea I believe they have set the bench mark on this one. Nuclear blackmail does not have to be "do as I say or I will bomb" it is much more likely to be "leave me alone - invade and we all go up".

There are those in the ME that never accepted the creation of Israel in 1948. Initially this was all of the ME and it was handled very badly by everybody concerned and poor Palestinian farmers became pawns in a bigger political game. To be fair, this view has diminished as time has passed and now only certain hardliners such as the new Iranian President take this view. The majority of the Arab countries want a negotiated settlement. I personally am not sure there is enough there for two states and that a single secular state comprising of nearly 50% Jews 50% Arabs might be a more practical solution - unfortunately the last 60 years of hatred are unlikely to make that a viable going concern.

One must also question the motivation of many western countries. Anti-semitism was rife pre WW2 (and not just in Germany) and the Arabs simply saw us moving "a problem" elsewhere. Indeed, historically the Arabs were far nicer to the Jews than the Christians were. The "Holy Land" argument is a relatively modern right wing Christian phenomenon. The traditional Christian view was that the Jews blew it and that is why they lost their land - a view held for nearly 2000 years. The Crusades were about getting Jerusalem back for Christians - not Jews. Indeed, didn't that loveable rascal Pat Robertson say "with all due respect to that dear people, God does not listen to their prayers".

The UN has been focused on the problems in the region for a long time but unfortunately views have been so entrenched and Vetos so exercised that little has been achieved.

Despite all the above I suspect the new Iranian President is a bit of an arse and if he doesn't take a run at the learning curve of international politics he will further isolate what should be a prosperous and dynamic country.
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast