Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows XP 64 Bit

Poster
    Hey guys,

I am upgrading my PC and included will be an AMD Athlon 64, I understand that this means I can use Windows XP x64 [64 bit edition]. I have a few queries though, I mean, will it run the exact same as Windows XP? What's different? What are the advantages [besides it's increased addressibility] and what are the disadvantages? Any info about it would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I am wondering what the story is with Windows Media Center Edition. Can someone please give me all info they know about this?

Thanks a bunch ,
    Ricey

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    JunkBarMan's Avatar Milk Sucks,Got Beer?
    People who tell me to "eat shit" can go fuck themselves and find information for themselves.

What I said was neither an insult or non-constructive, it you want to view me in a negative manner, then now's the time.
    Last edited by JunkBarMan; 11-02-2005 at 12:21 AM.
    Today is the day.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    I'd be careful with the switch to 64 bit some device drivers are not supported yet, if every . Say a scanner or printer for example .

A few software programs are n't supported yet either .

Link : http://www.3dvelocity.com/articles/w...64hardlist.htm
    Last edited by peat moss; 11-01-2005 at 02:05 AM.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Poster
    OK firstly, Junkbarman - eat shit. That wasn't constructive or polite. I do use google you know - but I came here because there are conflicting reports about Windows 64 bit ... and info on media center is pretty fragmented.

And thanks for the link Peat Moss, I'll check that out.

Any more information?

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricey
    OK firstly, Junkbarman - eat shit.
    With comments like that, don't expect help from me.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Poster
    Oh come on, you don't honestly think he was being anything other than an ass? I don't know about you but I don't like being insulted. It's not nice

I apologise if I offended anyone other than him. I just feel that he was being egotistical - I have no time for people like that. But this is off topic so to steer it back...

Any more information about 64 bit Windows XP?

Thanks as always ,
    Ricey

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    Ricey, don't fret, I thought it was justified - he was being a twat.

Sorry I can't help you though.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricey
    ... I don't know about you but I don't like being insulted. It's not nice ...
    Agreed. So why do you insult people by telling them to "eat shit"?

About the topic... Do you have access to both versions? Do you have your 64bit computer?

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Most of your mission-critical 64bit drivers (chipset, video, sound) are easily available.
    My understanding is that printers, scanners and the like are more problematical.

Most all 32bit apps will run on the x64 but not all, so be prepared for a bit of frustration.

There is no apparent performance advantage that I could document so I've just gone back to regular XP.

I have played with the Longhorn (Vista) beta, but it was crankier ( and admittedly not ready for prime time) and was only suitable as a playtoy, not an everyday OS.
    Perhaps the next beta will be more useful.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Poster
    Agreed. So why do you insult people by telling them to "eat shit"?
    It's tasty. Seriously though, one for one. He takes a jab I take one back. And don't say two wrongs don't make a right because two negitives make a positive

Anyway, I don't want this to turn into a massive fight. I was honestly dreading reading this post. Anyway, back on topic...

I don't have my computer yet ... probably for next week. But yes, I have access to both Windows XP 64 Bit and Windows XP Pro.

And as I understand it, it's mainly "heavy" peripherals [printers, scanners, webcams etc] that are prone to not work. But what about the software side? A friend told me, for example, windows media player doesn't work on 64 bit. Is that true? And if so, what other software may not work with windows 64 bit.

Is it really worth using 64 bit windows? Any additional information will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast