Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: A question for the Americans

clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman
    Drunks tend to hang around liquor stores. Gun buyers do not. It is also the parents choice not to put their kids in that school.
    Gun buyers "do not" what?
    Apparently the irony of the picture has escaped you.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

2. The Drawing Room   -   #22
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Drunks tend to hang around liquor stores. Gun buyers do not. It is also the parents choice not to put their kids in that school.
    The request was for an insight into daily life in the USA that is different from the UK.
    You appear to have missed the point completely which was about attitude to guns and yet at the same time highlighted that very attitude.
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc
    this says a lot about how we view guns

timeline of school shootings

there is no argument you can make about responsible gun ownership that can split the direct link between guns and school shootings.

I have no objection to liquor stores, adult book stores or a "bookies" to be distanced from schools for whatever reason. Mostly it has to do with morals though. And if those stores are "too adult" and children need to be shielded from them why isn't a store that sells guns?
    The fact that it is a Christian school is also revealing about the USA....Guns and God often go hand in hand. I will add I don't know which opened first.

BTW.
    We have just one liquor store in the town limits and I have never seen a drunk or anyone "hanging around"
    Last edited by vidcc; 11-04-2005 at 03:55 PM.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #23
    BigBank_Hank's Avatar Move It On Over
    Something else that we do all the time is have festivals for all kinds of events. There is always something going on somewhere this time of year.

For instance this weekend is the omelet festival. It’s a big outdoor celebration that lasts all weekend with food, music, arts and crafts, and a parade. On the last day of the festival they cook a giant omelet with 5,000 eggs and they add one more egg for every year of the festival. It has been taking place for 21 years so this year the omelet will have 5,021 eggs.

Here is a website on the history and some pictures http://www.giantomelette.org/

4. The Drawing Room   -   #24
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    The request was for an insight into daily life in the USA that is different from the UK.
    You appear to have missed the point completely which was about attitude to guns and yet at the same time highlighted that very attitude.
    this says a lot about how we view guns

timeline of school shootings

there is no argument you can make about responsible gun ownership that can split the direct link between guns and school shootings.

I have no objection to liquor stores, adult book stores or a "bookies" to be distanced from schools for whatever reason. Mostly it has to do with morals though. And if those stores are "too adult" and children need to be shielded from them why isn't a store that sells guns?
    The fact that it is a Christian school is also revealing about the USA....Guns and God often go hand in hand. I will add I don't know which opened first.

BTW.
    We have just one liquor store in the town limits and I have never seen a drunk or anyone "hanging around"
    None of that has squat with a gun store being next to a school.

I would be more alarmed if violence would be more likely perpetrated around a gun store but not simply of it being there.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

5. The Drawing Room   -   #25

I would be more alarmed if violence would be more likely perpetrated around a gun store but not simply of it being there.
    Again you highlight my point about the attitude to guns brilliantly

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #26

You as well. You simply don't like them so it's mere appearance next to a school directly correlates to school shootings.

Had you made reference to children next door being in danger, I'd have been right with you.

I also wonder who was there first.
    Last edited by Busyman; 11-04-2005 at 08:40 PM.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

7. The Drawing Room   -   #27

You as well. You simply don't like them so it's mere appearance next to a school directly correlates to school shootings.
    I only raised that in response to your post about drunks.

But to save you going further off target I shall put the original point again for you.

The picture is to show American attitudes towards guns and daily life. It shows that we are so comfortable with them that it's ok to have a gun store next to a school. We are so comfortable with them that even with their deadly nature they are considered less destructive to the moral fabric of our children than drink or pictures of naked women.

"the lambs to the slaughter"
    Last edited by vidcc; 11-04-2005 at 08:52 PM.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #28
    I only raised that in response to your post about drunks.

But to save you going further off target I shall put the original point again for you.

The picture is to show American attitudes towards guns and daily life. It shows that we are so comfortable with them that it's ok to have a gun store next to a school. We are so comfortable with them that even with their deadly nature they are considered less destructive to the moral fabric of our children than drink or pictures of naked women.

"the lambs to the slaughter"
    Excellent my original response was to this...
    It would not be allowed to have a liquor store next to a pre-school or an adult book store in town but a gun shop next to a pre-school is fine
    It may be because of logistics and not one's feelings.

I disagree with your last sentence as does the law of this land.

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

9. The Drawing Room   -   #29
    It would not be allowed to have a liquor store next to a pre-school or an adult book store in town but a gun shop next to a pre-school is fine
    And?

What part of it isn't about attitudes towards guns?

explain

10. The Drawing Room   -   #30

And?

What part of it isn't about attitudes towards guns?

explain
    13 year-old boy found reading dirty mag
    13 year-old boy found with loaded gun
    13 year-old boy found drinking Jack Daniels

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast