Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Amd Athlon Xp Vs Intel Pentium

SeK612's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    If your getting an athlon just remember to get a decent heat sink - I'm new to making computers and have fried 2 XP chips in a row

Also you can get 3.00 and 3.06 ghz proccessors from UK sites

SeK 612

2. Software & Hardware   -   #22
    Ex-member
    Yeah, always get a copper cooler. It's worth the money just to be safe.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #23
    Poster
    stock cooler for me since i dun close my CPU cover ^_^

4. Software & Hardware   -   #24
    people says in general that AMD runs faster that Intel. Although at the same time Intel is better when working with large video and image files...

5. Software & Hardware   -   #25
    intel 1.8 = 98 degrees
    amd 1.8 = 120 degrees

hmmm i think i will stay with my intel machine
    I am Member No. : 193 <--- yes there was a time when that was a lot

6. Software & Hardware   -   #26
    Xactly....Intel in general runs at a lower temp, which mean less cooling, which in general (unless alternate sources of cooling, i.e. water) are used, it is gonna be quieter to use...less fan noise

As has been stated, each have their own strengths and weaknesses...

Supposedly most of the Audio Apps are optimized for Pentium, which I why I use 'em...

To me, the difference in price is not that great, so I go for the Pentium...a 1 gHz PIII in this box, and a 2.4 P4 in my recording box...

7. Software & Hardware   -   #27
    athlons are very efficient per clock cycle. which means that an athlon with a clock speed of just 2.16 GHz is very close to a Pentium 4 with clock speed 3.06 GHz. this means that when processors become faster (e.g. the P4's are at clocks of 5 GHz or more), the Athlons are still only gonna be around 3 GHz.
    this should mean that the athlon's cooling problem (which isn't really that apparent), will pale into insignificance as the Pentiums fry themselves

8. Software & Hardware   -   #28
    1/2 Man, 1/2 Amazing
    The issue over cooling is really irrelevant. So you can you use the stock cooler that comes with most retail intel chips... wheres as with a AMD, maybe you want a high cooler, a volcano7, or 9, or something, its not that big of deal, and tech wise, the difference in temp doesnt mean all that much, they both run at perfectly acceptable temps.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #29
    the max die temp for athlon's is higher than pentiums generally too, so the increase in temperature (which isn't a lot), doesn't damage the hardware.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #30
    The heatsink dont cost that much even the good ones, having a good heat sink in general is a great thing to have even if your not overclocking, the CPU is so important why not treat it nicely w/ p4 or AMD

So i come to the conclusion, that who ever has a CPU in their computer *cough * should get a nice heatsink-
    Such as follows:

HEATSINK = GOOD

in conslusion: Shell out the 33 dollars.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast