Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Amd Athlon Xp Vs Intel Pentium

I am making my own computer but i just cant decide which one to get a AMD or a Intel, even though most places, Intel gets better in benchmarks, like on toms hardware. But I have heard from many people that they recomment AMD still.

For all you AMD and Intel users, which one do you personally perfer?

I am thinking of either getting a AMD Athlon XP 2400+ or a Intel Pentium 4 @ 2.4 GHz.

So tell me what you think!

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    1/2 Man, 1/2 Amazing
    well, if u would have searched, you would have seen many, many threads on this topic.

but if your looking at either one or the other of those cpus, get the 2400xp. Its cheaper, last i looked, and it outperforms the 2.4 gigahertz if I am not mistaken, at least in many benchmarks it does... cept like the q3, fps tests, etc.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    this is really an ongoing topic. there's not really an answer either way, it's pretty much down to personal choice and how deep your pockets are. i'm a bit biased, i have an athlon just now, but i'd have to go for the athlon. the the performance that amd seems to be able to get from their hardware is more than intel gets from their pentiums. i've replied to a similar post http://www.klboard.ath.cx/bb/index.php?act...ST&f=31&t=27496

the bottom line in this question is that both the pentium 4 and athlons above around 2000+ are fast enough for basically everything you need. if you're going for total performance at any cost, the answer has to be the pentium 4 3.06GHz cpu, however if you want both performance and value for money, imo it's amd that has to win

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Poster
    It is personal choice really both are very good.

The main desicion is this:

If you have the money buy a pentium 4.

If you do not have money get a AMD Athlon XP.

Pentium has very high prices and is a rip off. My opinion i like AMD better but others will disagree. The new AMD Athlon 3000+ Barton Core is excellent and is very good.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Ex-member
    The AMD model rating reflects the speed in MHz of a roughly equivalent Pentium 4.

So a 2400+ Athlon is not noticeably different from a 2.4GHz P4 - you'll never see any difference unless you use a benchmarking program.

Look at the prices and you'll see which to go for.

It's much more important to choose a good motherboard; for AMD Athlons I recommend the Asus A7N8X Deluxe (I don't know about P4s 'cos I don't use them).

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    just the fact that amd's 2.0 gig processors (2400) perform
    equivilent to a pentium 2.4 makes me think amd
    makes the better product.
    plus the better price makes it a no brainer for me.
    but this arguement always depends on who you ask.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    AMD goes woooo woooo!

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    1/2 Man, 1/2 Amazing
    Originally posted by amphoteric88@17 April 2003 - 21:01
    you're going for total performance at any cost, the answer has to be the pentium 4 3.06GHz cpu, however if you want both performance and value for money, imo it's amd that has to win
    Thats not true anymore.

the new 800mhz front side bus Pentium 4 3.0ghz is faster then the 3.06ghz, and they are cheaper....

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    the 3.0 gig p4 has been held back, due to the anomoly's mentioned in the other post on this topic.
    http://www.klboard.ath.cx/bb/index.php?act...ST&f=31&t=27496

this cpu isn't out yet, so it cannot be judged as retail
    therefore the 3.06 gig is still the fastest currently available

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Wolfmight's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    The AMD Althon XP 2400 is 2.0ghz, BUT has a higher cache rate than the P4.
    The P4 is a 2.4ghz, but lower cache rate..

AMD is high end, since they dont just focus on the mhz/ghz, they focus on everything else on that chip as well.

the 2400 is faster

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast