Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Celebrities And Their Opinions

Lol !!! ok ok ! Don't flame me too hard now. lol. I'm just trying to have some fun with this otherwise morbid topic. My bad. Shit!

You obviously know who he is.

Yeah calling me an idiot is a nice way to get what point across? Why do you not try and contribute. Your post is nothing but a juvenile attempt to flame someone. I GUESS I SHOULD HAVE BEEN MORE DIRECT WITH MY ORIGINAL POST!! I think they should all be quiet. That is my opinion on the matter. I notice you do not have one

Don't get me wrong. Again, I am not offended. I didn't expect many people to see the humor in this. As you all obviously didn't.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #12
    Originally posted by Blue_Seraphim@22 April 2003 - 03:36
    Lol !!! ok ok ! Don't flame me too hard now. lol. I'm just trying to have some fun with this otherwise morbid topic. My bad. Shit!

You obviously know who he is.

Yeah calling me an idiot is a nice way to get what point across? Why do you not try and contribute. Your post is nothing but a juvenile attempt to flame someone. I GUESS I SHOULD HAVE BEEN MORE DIRECT WITH MY ORIGINAL POST!! I think they should all be quiet. That is my opinion on the matter. I notice you do not have one

Don't get me wrong. Again, I am not offended. I didn't expect many people to see the humor in this. As you all obviously didn't.
    Not you my friend, I was poking at Clocker.

Sorry.

I was intentionally pretending to mistake Charlie Daniels for Jack Daniels. That delayed emote was there to suggest that something was not as it appeared.
    Aren't we in the trust tree, thingey?

3. The Drawing Room   -   #13
    Yea like I said any way no offence. B)

4. The Drawing Room   -   #14
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Originally posted by Blue_Seraphim@21 April 2003 - 20:36
    Lol !!! ok ok ! Don't flame me too hard now. lol. I'm just trying to have some fun with this otherwise morbid topic.    My bad. 
    You think this thread is morbid?
    Hmmm....

Well, just in case my position remains unclear let me state it for the record.
    I think we ALL have a right to our opinions and the right to express them in any forum available to us.If the press is willing to hang on every word out of Susan Sarandon's pouty little mouth then that speaks more about the press than it does about the validity of her opinion.
    Don't you think that celebrities sit at home and shudder to see some of their more inane utterances printed for all to see?
    How would you come across if your every casual remark was printed in a major media outlet and then held up to the scrutiny of critics?
    Michael Moore has said that he regrets the way he came across at the Academy Awards and he is somewhat practised in the art of being a public persona. Generally he seems to me to be very articulate and reasoned ( there you go j2k4 , TAKE YOUR SHOT NOW! ) , but the excitement of the moment overwhelmed him.
    While I would agree that being a "celebrity" ( with the exception of Charlie Daniels, who is a supercilious, pompous, unrepentantly ignorant hick- and a mediocre fiddle player, to boot) doesn't automatically give your opinions weight or validity, it doesn't lessen your chances of being reasonable and correct either. So there.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

5. The Drawing Room   -   #15
    Originally posted by clocker@22 April 2003 - 04:50
    I think we ALL have a right to our opinions and the right to express them in any forum available to us.If the press is willing to hang on every word out of Susan Sarandon's pouty little mouth then that speaks more about the press than it does about the validity of her opinion.
    word.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #16
    Originally posted by myfiles3000@21 April 2003 - 22:21

word.
    WORD?

You developing carpal tunnel syndrom there, M?

7. The Drawing Room   -   #17
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Originally posted by clocker+21 April 2003 - 15:50--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (clocker @ 21 April 2003 - 15:50)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--j2k4@21 April 2003 - 06:25
    one best not presume "celebrity" and "good sense" to be mutually inclusive qualities.

Certainly the world overflows with sterling examples illustrating your point...Charo, Jerry Lewis and ,ah....oh yeah...Charlton Heston.
    So we agree that one mustn&#39;t make that assumption. Does that, however, mean that the obverse is necessarily so?
    My primary objection to the way that this was handled by the HOF is that they unilaterally politicized an event before it was necessary. Keeping in mind that "Bull Durham" was the movie that introduced Robbins and Sarandon, that they both consider it to be high point in their respective careers, and that Robbins is somewhat of a baseball fan, I don&#39;t find it beyond reason to think that the couple MAY have been willing to forego their usual political posturing and simply enjoy the event for what is was. This may have been difficult for them as any such event would almost certainly been prefaced with some sort of tribute to " our brave boys overseas", but it IS concievable that they would have been politically mute. Not likely, granted,but concievable.
    Contact could have been initiated privately before any decisions were made.
    BTW...what moron invited them - and made the invitation public- before considering their past history of political activism anyway?
    As it is, the HOF appeared ( to me at any rate) to be cartoonishly naive and politically opportunistic- whipping up a typhoon in a bathtub merely to focus attention on an event which in a normal world would have drawn minimal media attention. Baseball as an industry is dying you know, and jumping on the patriotic bandwagon this way seems as tasteless as the statements that you presume R/S would have made.
    The grand sport of ballroom dancing would never have behaved so badly. [/b][/quote]
    Okay-where to start?
    1) I&#39;ll preface by noting the H.O.F. issued a statement today acknowledging the rashness and impropriety of it&#39;s action re: Robbins & Sarandon; bottom line-I agree with their self-assessment and compulsion to apologize.
    I will be watching closely for Mr. Robbins to make a similar statement of contrition re: his response(s).

2) I&#39;ll personally hand Heston, Selleck, Willis, and Patricia Heaton their ideological walking papers if all the "Hollylibs" will shut-up.

3) Susan Sarandon first achieved critical notice, I believe, in the movie "Atlantic City", which also starred Burt Lancaster. Robbins I&#39;m not so sure of.

4) A pre-event inquiry WOULD have been advisable, but having been thereby importuned not to comment re: their anti-war/Bush stances, could our intrepid duo have refrained from demanding the H.O.F. likewise refrain from making any statements of support, (as was certainly it&#39;s prerogative) no matter how innocuous?

5) Re: "What moron invited them...." Yes, exactly on point.

6) Correct-the H.O.F. did not distinguish itself; though I hope this fiasco doesn&#39;t result in the critical positions there being filled by a motley collection of lawyers specializing in civil torts.

7) Major-League Baseball can go ahead and die-good riddance. I will remain a huge fan of the game itself.

8) The "Grand sport of ballroom dancing" was populated by people who had supreme regard for dignity and propriety; we are agreed there

As for the rest of the posting: Blue Seraphim-myfiles is spoiling for a fight; in as gentlemanly a manner as you can muster, I suggest you send him to the shallow end of the pool where can be found Mr. Charlie Daniels, who is also aching to clash.

Clocker-I had not heard of Mr. Moore&#39;s expression of regret; I would put as much faith in it&#39;s sincerity as he puts in the likelihood of an American financing his next movie. No doubt either, that his eloquence, articulateness and apparent sincerity are maximized by his perception of having harmed his "career" with his performance at the Academy Awards.
    Shot taken&#33;
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

8. The Drawing Room   -   #18
    Originally posted by j2k4@21 April 2003 - 23:13
    bottom line-I agree with their self-assessment and compulsion to apologize.
    I will be watching closely for Mr. Robbins to make a similar statement of contrition re: his response(s).

2) I&#39;ll personally hand Heston, Selleck, Willis, and Patricia Heaton their ideological walking papers if all the "Hollylibs" will shut-up.

3) Susan Sarandon first achieved critical notice, I believe, in the movie "Atlantic City", which also starred Burt Lancaster. Robbins I&#39;m not so sure of.

Clocker-I had not heard of Mr. Moore&#39;s expression of regret; I would put as much faith in it&#39;s sincerity as he puts in the likelihood of an American financing his next movie. No doubt either, that his eloquence, articulateness and apparent sincerity are maximized by his perception of having harmed his "career" with his performance at the Academy Awards.
    Shot taken&#33;
    Nice to see you back, j2&#33;

1. What does Robbins have to apologize for? He didn&#39;t even get the opportunity to fulfill your ( and the HOF"&#39;s) expectations. His presumption of innocence was revolked- not terribly American, methinks.

2. I have no problem with any of the celebs you mention, they certainly have the right to take themselves as seriously as they please. My problem lies with the mouthbreathers who read People and the like. They take all that crap as gospel. You&#39;ll be bored at the dentist&#39;s office, but if you avoid the claptrap popmags you&#39;ll find your exposure to celebrity opinions will be substantially reduced.

3.This misunderstanding is all my fault. I meant that "Bull Durham" is the movie that intoduced Sarandon and Robbins to each other. My bad ( whatever the hell that means&#33.

4. Moore screwed up and he admitted it. He wasn&#39;t contrite about his views, just the shrill and off-putting way in which he expressed them. You want blood?*

5.That was a shot? You must still be tuckered out by your long drive.

*Don&#39;t answer that...

BTW... Moore&#39;s book "Stupid White Men" is still #3 on the NY Times bestseller list. I should think his chances for financing are pretty good.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #19
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Originally posted by clocker@22 April 2003 - 00:36
    1. What does Robbins have to apologize for? He didn&#39;t even get the opportunity to fulfill your ( and the HOF"&#39;s) expectations. His presumption of innocence was revolked- not terribly American, methinks.

2. I have no problem with any of the celebs you mention, they certainly have the right to take themselves as seriously as they please. My problem lies with the mouthbreathers who read People and the like. They take all that crap as gospel. You&#39;ll be bored at the dentist&#39;s office, but if you avoid the claptrap popmags you&#39;ll find your exposure to celebrity opinions will be substantially reduced.

3.This misunderstanding is all my fault. I meant that "Bull Durham" is the movie that intoduced Sarandon and Robbins to each other. My bad ( whatever the hell that means&#33.

4. Moore screwed up and he admitted it. He wasn&#39;t contrite about his views, just the shrill and off-putting way in which he expressed them. You want blood?*

5.That was a shot? You must still be tuckered out by your long drive.

*Don&#39;t answer that...

BTW... Moore&#39;s book "Stupid White Men" is still #3 on the NY Times bestseller list. I should think his chances for financing are pretty good.
    1) Didn&#39;t you catch all of Robbins&#39; remarks? Boy&#39;s got it in for the H.O.F., FoxNews-basically anybody who didn&#39;t default their coverage to his "My right to free speech..." as a primary concern. (I&#39;m not into links, but this was early last week?)

2) Correct assessment of "People" people-as a dedicated reader , I can state positively the only redeeming value on the pages of that magazine are titty-shots of Britney Spears, et.al. B) I have noticed that when viewing same, I am mouth-breathing; I assume your astute observation on this point was arrived at through your own research.

3) Point taken; I have envied Mr. Robbins ever since.

4) Keep your eye on Mr. Moore; I predict HE will change your mind without further input from me. I have no wish for his blood; it&#39;s "stupid" count is dangerously high. BTW, "Bowling for Columbine" was financed by Canadians, this was the root of my attempted mot.

5) I thought the "shot" reflective of the respect I have for your posting; you realize, of course, that having asked for it, I couldn&#39;t just grant your request willy-nilly? Wouldn&#39;t fit my M.O.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

10. The Drawing Room   -   #20
    WeeMouse's Avatar Small and Squeaky
    Ok, here&#39;s the mouse&#39;s humble opinion&#33;

Celebrities should express their views&#33; Everyone is entitled to,after all - it&#39;s just that because they are famous, their views are made a little bit more public than ours&#33;

Loads of celebrities over here were making a stand against the war, using their fame to let everyone know that they thought the war was wrong, and fair dues to them&#33; The way I see it, we had George W and Tony Blair etc going on about how right the war is, so it was refreshing to read someone else&#39;s opinion.

PS - I was against the war&#33;

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast