Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Comp randomly restarts after Mobo change

Mr. Mulder's Avatar pepper your angus BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    This afternoon I swapped mobos (from a KOB P4M266a to a brand new Gigabyte 8s661fxmp-rz). Installation went fine, as did a fresh new Windows install - but then when i tried to install the drivers for the board, the comp restarted shortly after loading the driver/selection screen off the CD - i managed to install a few by choosing then from the folders in explore view - but it won't run through the on-disk setup. I got this error message:
    c:\WINDOWS\Mini110805-01.dmp
    c:\DOCUME1\ROB\locals1\temp\wer1.tmp.dir00.\sysdata.xml
    i deleted the Mini110805-01.dmp (whatever the fook it is) along with its friends, Minidump (an empty folder) savedump.exe, dumprep and anotherone, but they just come back, cept the .dmp number changes to 04 or different for that one file.
    I've also reinstalled windows - a different version from a different CD, same problem

Other disks run fine, managed to install AVG/Zone Alarm/ Modem etc - but it still cuts out at random, no pattern showing at all.

Any ideas?

(it's taken 5 goes at typing/posting this due to the restarts, and im a piss poor dislexik smeller, so plz excuses it all)

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Darth Sushi's Avatar Sushi Lord
    Try going to the mobo website and get the lastest drivers there. BTW, which drivers in particular is giving you grief?

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    Mr. Mulder is unable to reply from his computer so is using me as the go between

Reply: It shouldn't matter drivers are being used because it still does it at random anyway and the CD is TUCD VER.2.46

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    silent h3ro's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +9BT Rep +9
    Ah good old Gigabyte. Right after I switched from an Abit to a Gigabyte, (mainly for PCI Express and 8 channel audio) it all went downhill from there. I've been having rebooting problems ever since. I even got 2 new sticks of ram (2x 512 MB) to replace and existing two 512's. What a waste of money. I still have problems. I tried a new, psu also (higher wattage/quality Antec PSU), and still the problems remain. As soon as I get a good flow of money from work, I'm getting rid of this POS motherboard and I never plan on getting or trusting Gigabyte again. Just sharing some of my experience with Gigabyte. ..

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    Those files you quoted are generated by Windows when there's a system failure.
    What we need is BSOD information.

When the puter resets, do you get a blue screen or does it just reset without warning?
    If it resets without warning, right-click My Computer, select Properties, click the Advanced tab, click the Settings button in the Startup and Recovery section and disable Automatically restart in the System failure section, then OK your way out...
    This should now present you with a bluescreen the next time the system fails, and you can make a note of the error codes and references that appear on it. Enter them into Google or ask more advice here.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    I did as Chewie asked and got rid of Automatically restart, the BSOD said

"Driver_IRQL_Not_Less_Or_Equal" - then towards the bottom it quoted the file "usbohci.sys" along with it's address etc.

...so thinking it was the USB driver that's needed i tried installing it straight off the CD in explore view but got a screen up saying no - something to do with service packs, update to SP1 which i already have (might even have 2, not sure right now cos im at the g/f's computer) - then I went in to Device manager and tried to install it there using the wizard - but was told "The driver installation for this file is missing a necessary entry. Might be because the INF was written for Win95 or later"

...i managed to burn a screenshot to disk of device manager, took some doing though'

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    http://www.giga-byte.com/Motherboard...661FXMP-RZ.htm

the USB 2.0 driver is for Win2000 only - it says to update to SP1 OR 2 -Once again im fairly certain i have at least SP1

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Right click on 'My Computer' and select Properties.

It will show you the version of Windows and what Service Pack is installed.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    lynx's Avatar .
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mulder
    http://www.giga-byte.com/Motherboard...661FXMP-RZ.htm

the USB 2.0 driver is for Win2000 only - it says to update to SP1 OR 2 -Once again im fairly certain i have at least SP1
    That's version 1.02, Version 1.03 (the one above it) appears to be universal.

Edit: sorry, I misread that, that's the SATA raid driver. But from the look of things you need that too.

I've never known a driver which was for Win2k which didn't work under XP, although as indicated you need at least SP1 for it to give you the proper benefits.
    Last edited by lynx; 11-09-2005 at 07:50 PM.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Seedler's Avatar T__________________T
    random restarts when you're using ur comp? sounds like your power supply's too shetty
    Biostar XE T5
    i5-750 @ 4.0 GHZ stable (CM Hyper 212)
    2 x 2GB Cosair XMS3 DDR3 1600MHZ
    Radeon 5850 @ 866/1254MHZ
    Intel X25-M in RAID 0
    WD Caviar Black 2TB in RAID 0
    3 x Asus 25.5" VW266H LCD [Eyefinity]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast