Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Peyote Won't Rot Your Brain

Yoga's Avatar \ ( ^ 0 ^ ) / BT Rep: +8BT Rep +8

Laugh

In the first study of its kind, researchers have found that peyote -- for now, the only legal hallucinogenic drug in the United States -- doesn't rob regular users of brain power over time.

While the findings don't directly indicate anything about the safety of psychedelic drugs like LSD and mushrooms, they do suggest that at least one hallucinogen is OK to use for months or even years.

Peyote comes from the crowns of a cactus that grows in northern Mexico and parts of Texas. Harvesters cut off the crown, dry it and sell it in buttons. The commonly found peyote plant is often confused with the endangered star cactus.

"We really weren't able to find any (mental) deficits," said Dr. John Halpern, associate director of substance abuse research at McLean Hospital in Belmont, Massachusetts, and co-author of the study, released today in the Nov. 4 issue of the journal Biological Psychiatry. Hallucinogenic drugs have long fascinated researchers, who are now studying whether they hold the potential to treat mental illnesses like depression and obsessive-compulsive disorder.

But little is known about the long-term effects of hallucinogenic use. Part of the problem is that many users -- such as LSD aficionados -- take a variety of other drugs, so it's hard to tease out the specific effects of psychedelic drugs.

Enter peyote, currently the only hallucinogenic drug legally allowed for use outside research labs (although that may change). Compared with LSD and mushrooms, peyote is a bit obscure, with its use -- at least legally -- limited to the sacramental rites of the Native American Church, which has as many as 300,000 members. Many peyote users don't take other drugs, making them ideal subjects for hallucinogenic research.

Peyote comes from the crowns of a cactus that grows in northern Mexico and parts of Texas. Harvesters cut off the crown, dry it and sell it in "buttons," Halpern said. Generally, users eat the buttons whole or grind them up into a powder that can be mixed into food or brewed into a tea.

When enough peyote is eaten, users enter a hallucinogenic state thanks to its active ingredient, the chemical mescaline. Halpern and colleagues recruited three groups of Navajos -- 61 members of the Native American Church who regularly ate peyote, 36 alcoholics who have been dry for at least two months and 79 people who reported little or no use of alcohol or drugs. The researchers then gave mental-health and cognitive tests to the subjects.

Source:Wired

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    thewizeard's Avatar re-member BT Rep: +1
    ..and has rather an attractive flower...

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    asmithz's Avatar Hi-Definition
    Hey what, i didnt know it was legal.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    regardless of whether or not it has longterm effects, the fact that it makes people hallucinate is rather serious i think. i wouldn't wanna be involved with people who r hooked onto such things

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    Santa's Avatar dvhyt5er
    ask Carlos Castaneda

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    thewizeard's Avatar re-member BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by oceansgurlie
    regardless of whether or not it has longterm effects, the fact that it makes people hallucinate is rather serious i think. i wouldn't wanna be involved with people who r hooked onto such things

Quite right, terrible, terrible peyote users....

It's part of their religion m8. I do hope you don't get involved with people who drink alcoholic beverages...these people are known dangers to the safety on public highways, and in marital affairs, seem to be pretty dodgy...

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Peyote gives you an absolutely astounding "come-down" headache.

Not at all worth the trouble.

I stumbled across this knowledge while participating in my "try everything once, and all drugs twice (or more)" program.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    MediaSlayer's Avatar slowly going deaf
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4
    I stumbled across this knowledge while participating in my "try everything once, and all drugs twice (or more)" program.
    oh i see, like a modern day hoffman. it's fun to blur the line between objective research and first person experience isn't it? i highly recommend any experimentation to be combined with "drug diaries", it makes for some interesting reading later in life.

note on peyote:
    i have heard an unconfirmed rumour that fasting for 1 or 2 days before smoking(which is probably better) or eating peyote will keep you from puking.

sending fiery missiles in manker's japan's general direction.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by MediaSlayer
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4
    oh i see, like a modern day hoffman. it's fun to blur the line between objective research and first person experience isn't it? i highly recommend any experimentation to be combined with "drug diaries", it makes for some interesting reading later in life.

note on peyote:
    i have heard an unconfirmed rumour that fasting for 1 or 2 days before smoking(which is probably better) or eating peyote will keep you from puking.
    I was smoking lots of pot then, too.

Wasn't gonna be no fasting goin' on.

The theory is entirely plausible, but I'd guess the headache might be even worse...
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    Yogi's Avatar Super Undulator
    Quote Originally Posted by 100%
    ask Carlos Castaneda
    You certainly know your classics.......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast