Thread: Wireless Network

orcutt989's Avatar Blargh
    Hey everyone. I've got a big question for you. I put this in this forum because it sort of has to do with Software, and nobody ever goes into the Internet/Programming forum, so I thought it would get resolved here. Alright, so at our school we have a wireless network. My friend is trying to get it to work on his laptop, but we are having some problems. I have a couple of my other friends, not to mention like ten classes that use it. He has gotten his comptuer to recognize the network and connect to it, but when we open his browswer(IE), it acts like it wont connect. The network is encrypted, so that must have something to do with it. Where do I go from here? And post questions so I can answer with details. Thanks alot in advance!
    Last edited by orcutt989; 11-09-2005 at 01:42 AM.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    Try setting up an internet connection with the ip address of the router you're connecting to as the default gateway.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Chewie UK
    Try setting up an internet connection with the ip address of the router you're connecting to as the default gateway.
    How am I supposed to find out the IP address?

EDIT: I thought it would be good to add that he cannot acquire a network address....
    Last edited by orcutt989; 11-09-2005 at 02:54 AM.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Ask the school network administrator.
    "I went over to a friend's house the other day. He was having problems with his computer and he asked me to look at it, and I realized he had Windows Me and it's like, oh no—that's your first problem."-Michael Dell, founder and CEO of Dell.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    backlash's Avatar usenet lover
    they probably have mac filtering enabled. You have to give them your information so they can add your mac to their table. call the IT dept. and ask them what you need to do.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Nevermind. All my friend had to to was update to service pack 2, I thought that would have been the first thing he would have done when he purchased his laptop, but I guess not. Thanks anyways guys.