Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jews?

100%'s Avatar ╚════╩═╬════╝
    Sorry far my inane naivity, but when people refer in politics, movies, comedy etc about Jews.
    Are they not in 2006 refering to Israel's occupation of Palestina?
    Then why do they not simply say Isrealie supporters instead of jews?

The synagoge in our city recently got shot at, is this because of Israel, or for some other reason.

Please advise. (from the begining)

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    I think that you better read about the subject. It would take too long to type it down here. Basically a Jew is a member of the Judaism Religion. They are scattered all over the World. After the Second world war a lot of Jews were homeless. The League of Nations decided to settle them in Palestine(Their promised land)* much to the chagrin of the people of Palestine. They renamed the country Israel. you'll find a lot of information here;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/religions/judaism/

Sorry if I made any errors in the above. I am sure someone will point them out.

* there had been talk of doing this before the Second World War.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    tralalala's Avatar The Almighty
    Israel has been called that for thousands of years.......

Palestine is what the Ottomans called it if I am right.. correct me if I'm wrong.

In fact, the Brits had decided to ivide Palestine into 2 states in the early fortys.. 1 Jewish State, and 1 Arab State. The Arabs said no.. the UN decided the Jews could have their state, so the Jews said "fine.. the Arabs said no to a great offer, tough, we'll take our peice of land.. and we'll declare our state cos these other people can't settle for anything".

And so begane the 60+ year conflict.. which could be dated back thousands of years.. depends where you wish to stop in time.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    I thought the original name for the land was Canaan. Israel was another name for Jacob. Israeli history is not one of my better subjects so I will take your word for it Rafi.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    Depends..

Canaan, Judea, Israel, Palestine, Palestina............

The land is still there.. it's only the name that changed

BTW, long time no see Bob, how are you?

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    Hi Rafi. Still surviving, not that there is much left of me. Hearing aid, glasses, dentures etc.

I have been reading a bit further into the history of your area. I found out that the Arabs(Palestinians) actually still have 80% of the original Palestine. It is called Jordan. Not a lot of people know that.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    Riiiiiight.. go figure.. If you could get 'em happy with that fact half the problem is solved....

phat chance..

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    Smith's Avatar Since 1989.. BT Rep: +1
    I never quite understood why so many people hate jews. Can someone tell me why?

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Smith View Post
    I never quite understood why so many people hate jews. Can someone tell me why?
    basicly, people think we (the jews) crusified jesus.. but its not true. the roman did... muslims hate us because we have jerusalem. well, in the 40's the UN tried to divide israel into 2 areas, 50% jews, 50% arabic and Jerusalem is a nuetral area with an UN force inside of it. The arabics didnt accept the offer, declared war on as and a day or two after we won the war.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    It has been said that the history of almost all of the Jewish holidays can be summed up succinctly: "They wanted to kill us; we won. Let's eat." Why has anti-Semitism been so pervasive in so many countries, in so many time periods and for so many reasons? (One begins to wonder. Perhaps there is something wrong with the Jews and Judaism? After all, there is an old Yiddish saying -- "If one person calls you a donkey, ignore him; if two people call you a donkey, buy a saddle.")

Between the years 250 CE and 1948 CE - a period of 1,700 years - Jews have experienced more than eighty expulsions from various countries in Europe - an average of nearly one expulsion every twenty-one years. Jews were expelled from England, France, Austria, Germany, Lithuania, Spain, Portugal, Bohemia, Moravia and seventy-one other countries.

Historians have classified six explanations as to why people hate the Jews:

1. Economic -- "We hate Jews because they possess too much wealth and power."
    2. Chosen People -- "We hate Jews because they arrogantly claim that they are the chosen people."
    3. Scapegoat -- "Jews are a convenient group to single out and blame for our troubles."
    4. Deicide -- "We hate Jews because they killed Jesus."
    5. Outsiders, -- "We hate Jews because they are different than us." (The dislike of the unlike.)
    6. Racial Theory -- "We hate Jews because they are an inferior race."

As we examine the explanations, we must ask -- Are they the causes for anti-Semitism or excuses for Anti-Semitism? The difference? If one takes away the cause, then anti-Semitism should no longer exist. If one can show a contradiction to the explanation, it demonstrates that the "cause" is not a reason, it is just an excuse. Let's look at some contradictions:

1. Economic -- The Jews of 17th- 20th century Poland and Russia were dirt poor, had no influence and yet they were hated.

2. Chosen People -- a) In the late 19th century, the Jews of Germany denied "Choseness." And then they worked on assimilation. Yet, the holocaust started there. b) Christians and Moslems profess to being the "Chosen people," yet, the world and the anti-Semites tolerate them.

3. Scapegoat -- Any group must already be hated to be an effective scapegoat. The Scapegoat Theory does not then cause anti-Semitism. Rather, anti-Semitism is what makes the Jews a convenient scapegoat target. Hitler's ranting and ravings would not be taken seriously if he said, "It's the bicycle riders and the midgets who are destroying our society."

4. Deicide -- a) the Christian Bible says the Romans killed Jesus, though Jews are mentioned as accomplices (claims that Jews killed Jesus came several hundred years later). How come the accomplices are persecuted and there isn't an anti-Roman movement through history? b) Jesus himself said, "Forgive them [i.e., the Jews], for they know not what they do." The Second Vatican Council in 1963 officially exonerated the Jews as the killers of Jesus. Neither statement of Christian belief lessened anti-Semitism.

5. Outsiders -- With the Enlightenment in the late 18th century, many Jews rushed to assimilate. Anti-Semitism should have stopped. Instead, for example, with the Nazis came the cry, in essence: "We hate you, not because you're different, but because you're trying to become like us! We cannot allow you to infect the Aryan race with your inferior genes."

6. Racial Theory -- The overriding problem with this theory is that it is self-contradictory: Jews are not a race. Anyone can become a Jew - and members of every race, creed and color in the world have done so at one time or another.

Every other hated group is hated for a relatively defined reason. We Jews, however, are hated in paradoxes: Jews are hated for being a lazy and inferior race - but also for dominating the economy and taking over the world. We are hated for stubbornly maintaining our separateness - and, when we do assimilate - for posing a threat to racial purity through intermarriages. We are seen as pacifists and as warmongers; as capitalist exploiters and as revolutionary communists; possessed of a Chosen-People mentality, as well as of an inferiority complex. It seems that we just can't win.

Now we know what are NOT the reasons for anti-Semitism.
    Source - http://www.simpletoremember.com/vita...e_The_Jews.htm

All theories have been discounted, nobody seems to know why people hated the Jews. They just did.

Maybe it was down to a combination of all the above reasons

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast