Thread: Firewire Network

i was just wondering if it's possible to create a network with 2 pc's using firewire cables. i've already set one up using an ordinary cat5 cable. however, the throughput for firewire cables is 400Mbps compared to 100Mbps for cat5. i know the transfer rates for moving a file are limited by the mechanicals of the hard drive, but the ping for playing network games would be decreased if firewire was used.
    i know it's not necessary, the ping on cat5 is pretty much non-existent but i was just curious

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Poster
    i dont know it is possible but i know they have now 1000 mbps..but its much more expensive...you would have to buy new everything...but you really should have no problem at all playing network games with a reg cat5 100 mbps cable...you should also have no problem transgering big file....ive transfered movies. it takes a couple of min....

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    hmm.. i doubt it. I've never seen/heard of any network that uses firewire as a form of cable. try cat5e. that is better than cat5.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    yeah, i've heard about gigabit lan, but as you say, it's prohibitively expensive. i was just curious about making a firewire network work, i don't really need it

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Poster
    yeah exactly...

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Poster
    You can have a peer-to-peer cable to connect 2 PCs together but not a LAN. That way 2 PC's data can be syncronized.

I wouldn't go for FireWire; 1st generation FireWire had a max speed of 200 Mbps, then they cranked it up to 400 Mbps, still unable to beat the unwielding power of USB 2.0; which is capable of 480 Mbps

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    is it possible to set up a usb2 network for 2 pc's then?

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Poster
    if possible it would still cost you...you would need to replace the usb ports...buy new cables...

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    i already have 6 usb2 ports on my motherboard (asus a7n8x), but the other person would have to change. and the cables would have to be bought too, as you say. all in all, not really worth it unless both (or all) participants already have all the necessary hardware. i think i'll stick to cat5 then.
    worth a try anyway, thanks for the advice

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Poster
    yeah and you shouldnt have any problems with 100mbps...