Thread: Quake 3 On Xbox

WHOA DOCTOR.

http://carcharius.xbox-scene.com/?p=2

Introduction

This is the Quake 3: Arena game engine ported to run on the Xbox.

So what does it do?

As it stands now it will let you play the single player game portion of Quake 3: Arena. You should also be able to play on a network and over the internet, against other Xbox players as well as people running Quake 3 for the pc. For internet play you will require a valid CD key from the pc version of Quake 3.

It also has the ability to load and run some of the many mods available for Quake 3.

But please be aware, there are some mods that will run fine whilst others won't run at all. Unfortunately this is due to limitations in the Xbox hardware (basically it's a very tight squeeze trying to get Quake 3 to run at all using 64MB). I have not tested many mods, really I've done nothing more than try a couple to make sure that the mod loading process is working properly.

If you intend to try running any mods I strongly suggest a usb keyboard and/or mouse be attached to the xbox. Without them it may prove very difficult, even impossible, to navigate through the mod's interface and get a game running. This is because none of the mods available will be setup to work properly with the xbox controller.

If any mod authors do wish to make their mods compatible with this port then please drop me a line and I can let you know what (simple) changes are needed.

2. Games   -   #2
    silent h3ro's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +9BT Rep +9
    Cool. Still better to run the PC version obviously tho. Good if u have a shitty PC.

3. Games   -   #3
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Wow!!! That's tight as hell...not because it's Q3 but the fact it's a PC game made for use on the Xbox AND can play against folks on the PC.

On a side note, it's quite nice that Q2 is included with Q4.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

4. Games   -   #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Gam3Guy
    Cool. Still better to run the PC version obviously tho. Good if u have a shitty PC.
    well of course. it'd take a RILL shitty pc to not be able to run Quake 3, nowadays. but it's still really cool because...

Quote Originally Posted by Busyman
    Wow!!! That's tight as hell...not because it's Q3 but the fact it's a PC game made for use on the Xbox AND can play against folks on the PC.

On a side note, it's quite nice that Q2 is included with Q4.
    ... YES. i'm not a big Quake 3 fan, really. Unreal Tournament was way better as far as single-player vs bot action, and as far as team-play goes. the awesome thing is that they managed to make an unofficial conversion for xbox that you can run in progressive scan on an hdtv and it looks way better than the dreamcast & ps2 versions 'cause it IS basically the pc version running on directx + openGL (just like it would run on a pc). the screenshots don't do it any justice. with a little bit of fiddling around in the options, you can make it look pretty darn good and still have an acceptable frame rate. and it has all the basic features intact, including xbox vs pc online, compatibility with add-on mods, etc.

also cool: how easy it is to use this (the xbox Quake 3 executable is only a few MB) to create the xbox version from a pc Quake 3 cd. you just install Quake 3 on your pc, update it to the final version, stick the xbox executable in the Quake 3 folder, then ftp the folder over to the xbox. you don't have to sacrifice any chickens or do a rain dance to make it work.
    Last edited by 3RA1N1AC; 11-26-2005 at 07:29 AM.