Thread: Boot Disk Problem? (Urgent Help Please!)

Alright so this is what's wrong with my computer:

First of all, the computer does NOT boot up to windows xp screen (welcome screen). I've tried ALOT of things such as make a boot disk, safe modes, and a few more. None have worked so far, so I am looking for a way to get to my computer using the boot.ini file as a friend said. Now, the last thing i remember I was doing on my computer was messing around with the "Windows Update" stuff. I installed windows update features and then decided to uninstall. After, I rebooted and couldn't get on since. What really happens is when I try to turn on my computer, it loads pretty slow (1 - 2 minutes), then it's supposed to turn to the Welcome Screen so I can type my password. Instead, it just REBOOTS continously... meaning on and on until I unplug the power cable. Now, if you know how to help me fix this problem, please please tell me a way. This computer has ALL of my stuff on it, and it would be greatly apprieciate if someone could help. And I hope you understand all this, trying to explain as easily as I can.

If you need additional info, please post or PM me... thanks.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Insert the Windows XP CD and do a repair install of Windows.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    I've already tried that, didnt work at all. A friend suggested to do that. I also changed the boot sequence to boot from the CD drive, still didn't work. Anything else you can suggest?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Are you saying you couldn't get it to boot from the cd or that the repair didn't fix it?

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Quote Originally Posted by rossco
    Are you saying you couldn't get it to boot from the cd or that the repair didn't fix it?
    Very good question. Exactly what I was wondering.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    If OP got SP2 a regular XP disk (SP1 or under) won't work. Gotta be slipstreamed with SP2 to do a repair install.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb
    If OP got SP2 a regular XP disk (SP1 or under) won't work. Gotta be slipstreamed with SP2 to do a repair install.
    Doesn't it just repair and leave you with regular xp (or sp1 if that's what u had)?

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    Not in my experience rossco. The install disk detects a newer version of xp installed & won't do shit.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    So urgent that __Sunny__ hasn't posted in 3 days.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    He must have probably fixed the problem...