Page 1 of 12 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: Santa removed from Coke cans. Non-Christians find him "offensive."

Rip The Jacker's Avatar Retired
    Santa has been banned in schools, libraries, public parks and city halls all across the country by people who say he symbolizes a Christian holiday — Christmas — therefore he is a Christian symbol and offends some non-Christians.

This will come as a surprise to most Christians who do not view Santa as a symbol of their religion. And to many Christians it is an example of how any hint of Christmas, a Christian holiday, has become forbidden in some places.

Evidently, one of those places might be a can of Coke.
    Full Story: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,175562,00.html

---------------------------

They're removing Santa from Coke cans and replacing him with polar bears... It amazes me... people will complain about anything these days... I mean... I'm Christian... and I wouldn't get upset if I saw jewish/muslim symbols on a can of Coke... what's the big deal?

Discuss...
    Last edited by Rip The Jacker; 11-23-2005 at 05:01 AM.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    The world is going to shit. It's sad really. Wal-Mart and Cost Plus and Target and some other stores have said that they will start this year with replacing the term "Merry Christmas" with "Happy Holidays". What's even worse is that people will still shop at these stores (even the ones who say that what they're doing is terrible) and will still buy Coke. It's our own faults for putting up with it. The attitude is similar to that of elections or recycling, "One person won't make a difference". Well this year, I've decided not to shop at those stores, and I'm going to stick to my guns.

yo

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizo
    The world is going to shit. It's sad really. Wal-Mart and Cost Plus and Target and some other stores have said that they will start this year with replacing the term "Merry Christmas" with "Happy Holidays".
    keep up, slowpoke. wal-mart put merry christmas back up because some catholic group complained about the happy holidays thing. december is not for everybody and all their other crappy holidays, it's only for christians. praise jesus or GET OUT.

also this:
    From the December 15, 2004 Lou Dobbs Tonight:
    CHRISTINE ROMANS: Lou, Macy's is adamant it's not trying to offend anyone, just the opposite. It's doing just what other businesses do, retail and otherwise. It's trying very hard not to exclude anyone. That's why "Season's Greetings, Happy Holidays" is better.

LOU DOBBS: Well, they've just excluded everyone who is celebrating Christmas, which is, after all, the foundation of the so-called season in which they make most of their profits.

ROMANS: Moving definitely toward not offending anyone.

DOBBS: You know, when you think about it, "Happy Holidays" -- what other holidays are we celebrating right now? We're celebrating Christmas, right?

ROMANS: And they say Hanukkah, Kwanzaa --

DOBBS: Kwanzaa?

ROMANS: -- also the end of Ramadan and a host of other holidays between Thanksgiving and New Year's.

DOBBS: But as we celebrate each one of those -- and each of us in this very diverse society does celebrate -- my Jewish friends say to me "Happy Hanukkah," I say to them "Merry Christmas," none of us is offended. I don't understand the reluctance to use Christmas.

ROMANS: They say "Happy Holidays" covers it all.

DOBBS: They do? Well, they're wrong. And merry Christmas. Thanks, Christine.
    Dobbs made his comments directly following a report by Romans, in which she quoted a statement by Macy's which conveyed the company's desire to be inclusive of "all religious and ethnic celebrations."

According to Romans' report:

ROMANS: Macy's says it doesn't ban Christmas -- witness Santa in Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade and all of its holiday decorations. But the company says the phrases "Seasons Greetings" and "Happy Holidays" embrace all religious and ethnic celebrations that take place in November and December, and "these expressions of goodwill are more reflective of the multicultural society in which we live today."
    this "OMG christmas is under attack! the barbarians are at the gate!" thing is, frankly, a lot of hyped-up baloney. it's the new "OMG WMD." bunch of blow-dryed talking heads looking for the next fake controversy to get their target audiences riled up and eyes glued to the boob tube.

like. take it easy, fellas. conservatives and christians are still in control of the USA. no need to be a sore winner.
    Last edited by 3RA1N1AC; 11-23-2005 at 08:33 AM.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Quote Originally Posted by Rip The Jacker
    They're removing Santa from Coke cans and replacing him with polar bears...
    I'm offended by the use of the polar bears.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    thewizeard's Avatar re-member BT Rep: +1
    ..I always thought that Santa lived on the North Pole...in Finland and was a pagan Feast...

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    What is going on?
    one of our local councils have stopped funding the christmas lights this year for the same reason, sad for kids.
    Not seen the Coca-Cola "holidays are coming" advert this year so far, so i guess that's gone as well
    I'm not very relegious, but I do celebrate Christmas
    The idiosyncratic syntax of riddles interests me

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    Rip The Jacker's Avatar Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizo
    they will start this year with replacing the term "Merry Christmas" with "Happy Holidays".
    Ah dammit.

It just bugs me... how some people get upset over the stupidest things... if it really bothers you that Santa is on a can of Coke... drink Mountain Dew or something else... jeez... Next thing you know it'll be illegal to put up christmas lights or something...

We can't just remove shit because a few people find them offensive...
    Last edited by Rip The Jacker; 11-23-2005 at 09:47 AM.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Rip The Jacker
    if it really bothers you that Santa is on a can of Coke... drink Mountain Dew or something else... jeez...
    the Coca-Cola company doesn't want people to drink Mountain Dew. Mountain Dew is a Pepsi brand. if it comes down to a choice between keeping Santa or losing customers to Mountain Dew, Santa's gonna lose.

if they release Coke cans in the USA prominently featuring some of these symbols (or images connected to them?), and they don't receive a ton of complaints from christians, i'll be more willing to entertain the notion that the polar bear cans represent unfair discrimination against christmas:

Last edited by 3RA1N1AC; 11-23-2005 at 10:23 AM.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    Aaron_T's Avatar A duck is watching.
    that really is one of the most stupid things ive ever heard, anyone who agrees with taking santa off the coke cans is an IDIOT.
    Those who dont learn from the past are doomed to repeat It.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Azzz
    that really is one of the most stupid things ive ever heard, anyone who agrees with taking santa off the coke cans is an IDIOT.
    + anyone who thinks christmas is in any danger? also an IDIOT.

just to be fair.

Page 1 of 12 123411 ... LastLast