Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BitTorrent and MPAA Join Forces

twisterX's Avatar Poster
    [news=http://www.slyck.com/newspics/bittorrent11rd.jpg]File-sharing and the trade organizations that represent the music and movie industries are two entities not normally associated with cooperation. This notion has been changing recently, especially for the MPAA (Motion Picture Association of America.) Looking for a distribution model for licensed material, it has decided to change with the times. Case in point: BitTorrent.

Although BitTorrent is responsible for clogging ISP networks and transmitting a large segment of copyrighted material, the MPAA has eyed this tool as a useful device for its own needs. Looking to provide a legitimate avenue for interested netizens to download movies, the MPAA has recently been in negotiations with Bram Cohen, founder of BitTorrent.

Bram Cohen has managed to steer clear of litigation, unlike his P2P developer brethren. From the very beginning, Bram Cohen has been staunchly opposed to piracy - at least publicly. He has repeatedly stated that BitTorrent is not a tool of piracy, and to use it as such is "stupid."

Bram has intelligently designed the BitTorrent protocol. Unlike conventional P2P networks, the BitTorrent community is not searchable. Independent indexing sites need to be established, otherwise known as trackers, which organize the content of the community (AKA ThePirateBay.org.) Responding to reports of widespread piracy on BitTorrent, Bram stated to MSNBC:

"If there's widespread copyright infringement, you really want to go after the ringleader. And we're not being the ringleader for that. The Web types that are doing piracy are the ringleaders for that."

With Bram clearly on the record as an opponent of piracy, those interested in distributing legitimate content have taken notice.

To meet this end, Bram Cohen has commercialized BitTorrent. Establishing his once rouge enterprise as a legitimate business has had profound effects. As BitTorrent has become more commercialized, two major events have occurred. First, the MPAA and Bram Cohen entered negotiations on the feasibility of distributing licensed material over BitTorrent. Second, DCM-Doll Capital invested $8.75 million into his newly commercialized business.

His negotiations with the MPAA have gone well. According to an interview with MSNBC, MPAA president Dan Glickman appeared welcoming to Bram Cohen's ideas.

"He seems really interested in what to do next. Everyone knows that things are changing, and I believe he's very interested in adapting. I was really surprised at how if you go to them nonconfrontationally they respond in kind."

In an MPAA press release today, the trade organization stated that Dan Glickman and Bram Cohen are set to hold a press conference tomorrow in Los Angeles at 2pm PST.

"Motion Picture Association of America, Inc. (MPAA) Chairman and CEO Dan Glickman and BitTorrent Founder and CEO Bram Cohen will hold a press conference on Tuesday, November 22th, 2005 at the American Film Institute."

Although the MPAA is not releasing information on the details of this press conference, it’s likely the two will announce the resolution of a deal. If the MPAA does announce a deal with BitTorrent, it will be an enormous step forward for the movie industry. What will mean for the rest of the file-sharing world? The details will be released tomorrow.

Source: http://www.slyck.com/news.php?story=1004[/news]

2. News (Archive)   -   #2
    twisterX's Avatar Poster
    First of all they could suck a dick becuase they expect you to buy the shit and they to share it too.

Secondly its probably gonna be the same quality as todays divx or xvid with like DRM.

3. News (Archive)   -   #3
    I will go on sharing what I like, when I like, to whoever I like, no matter what the deal.

We will always find ways around whatever restrictions they come up with. Case in point: Piece of Tape Defeats Sony DRM
    http://www.techtree.com/techtree/jsp...297&cat_id=582

4. News (Archive)   -   #4
    twisterX's Avatar Poster
    but why would u want to help the industry by sharing things you need to pay for. then also the person downloading from you needs to also pay for.

It doesnt make sense
    Last edited by twisterX; 11-22-2005 at 03:21 AM.

5. News (Archive)   -   #5
    i seed like 1TB to evry 100GB i download but no way wood i seed for that

6. News (Archive)   -   #6
    silent h3ro's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +9BT Rep +9
    Owned I guess.

@NightAss - Um wtf, really?

7. News (Archive)   -   #7
    twisterX's Avatar Poster
    [news=http://www.slyck.com/newspics/brammpaa.jpg]As Slyck.com reported yesterday, Bram Cohen, founder of BitTorrent, and Dan Glickman, president of the MPAA, made an announcement today regarding the future of both organizations. The MPAA and Bram Cohen revealed during the press conference the two will work together to inhibit piracy.

During May of this year, Bram Cohen released a torrent search engine on his site, BitTorrent.com. As one of the stipulations of the deal, any search results yielding copyrighted material will be blocked. In addition, the MPAA and Bram will be working together to "limit access to infringing material available via search engines like the one at BitTorrent.com."

However the technical feasibility of this assertion has been met with skepticism in the BitTorrent community.

"Bittorrent.com is their own, they can of course fix that," said ThePirateBay spokesperson brokep. "But not in the other torrent sites without changing the protocol. The protocol actually doesn't belong to Bram Cohen, it belongs to the community and will evolve in the way it seems fit."

Interestingly, by the time Bram Cohen and the MPAA figure out how to limit access to infringing material, the current BitTorrent protocol may be a thing of the past.

Looking forward, this announcement changes little for a vast majority of the BitTorrent community. While Bram’s search engine is a curious novelty item, it represents relatively minor generator of BitTorrent traffic, especially compared with the torrent giant ThePirateBay.org.

Perhaps the more significant aspect of the deal, which is not detailed in the press release, centers on how the MPAA and BitTorrent will work to "promote constructive innovation in this area." It has been long speculated the MPAA will utilize an iteration of the BitTorrent protocol to distribute Hollywood movies.

The announcement is an impressive step forward for the movie industry, who has decided to embrace file-sharing technology rather than suppress it. With the creator of the largest file-sharing network joining forces with the largest representative of film production, the potential match up could be enormous. Below is the press release issued by the MPAA.

BITTORRENT AND MPAA JOIN FORCES

Companies Aim To Protect Film Copyrights

Los Angeles - - BitTorrent Founder and CEO Bram Cohen and Motion Picture Association of America, Inc. (MPAA) Chairman and CEO Dan Glickman announced today that the motion picture industry and BitTorrent, Inc. are collaborating with the goal of inhibiting film piracy. Bram Cohen developed a revolutionary technology for websites to make large content files available on the Web and that technology is often used by others illegally to distribute movies and television shows. Today Cohen confirmed BitTorrent, Inc.’s commitment to removing links that direct users to copies of pirated content owned by MPAA companies from its search engine at BitTorrent.com. The announcement today is historic in that two major forces in the technology and film industries have agreed to work together and proactively identify ways to l and to promote constructive innovation in this area.

“BitTorrent is an extremely efficient publishing tool and search engine that allows creators and rights holders to make their content available on the Internet securely,” said Cohen. “BitTorrent, Inc. discourages the use of its technology for distributing films without a license to do so. As such, we are pleased to work with the film industry to remove unauthorized content from BitTorrent.com’s search engine.”

Cohen said BitTorrent.com will remove links that direct users to pirated content owned by MPAA companies from its search engine.

“We are glad that Bram Cohen and his company are working with us to limit access to infringing files on the BitTorrent.com website,” said Glickman. “They are leading the way for other companies by their example.”

Both Cohen and Glickman noted that this effort was an early experiment in using technology to assist in solving the problems of piracy. Over the last year, MPAA has brought lawsuits against several websites using the BitTorrent protocol for illegal distribution of movies. Since then, 90% of the sites sued have shut down. Today’s announcement reflects a joint commitment to work together to fight the continued illegal use of this innovative technology.

The motion picture industry and the MPAA have a multi-pronged approach to fighting piracy, which includes educating people about the consequences of piracy, taking action against Internet thieves, working with law enforcement authorities around the world to root out pirate operations and, working to ensure movies are available legally using advanced technology.

The MPAA estimates that the film industry lost approximately $3.5 billion to movie piracy in 2004, a total that does not include losses due to illegal on-line file swapping. According to a Smith Barney study, that number is expected to jump to $5.4 billion in 2005. By deeply cutting into revenues, movie piracy limits the choices for consumers at the box office. The average movie costs about $100 million to make and sixty percent of all movies never recoup their investment. Piracy in all forms hurts the hundreds of thousands of individuals, whose jobs depend on a vital movie industry, including sound and lighting technicians, carpenters, and theatre and video store employees.

Source: http://www.slyck.com/news.php?story=1006[/news]
    Last edited by twisterX; 11-23-2005 at 05:51 AM.

8. News (Archive)   -   #8
    what a load of shit
    i thort bram was cool not know
    or maybe the MPAA busted him and made a deel saying we wont lock u up if u do thing for us maybe

and saying thay going to loos $5.4 billion in 05 90% of what i download i wood never go and see any way if i cant get it torrent or what ever i just dont get it
    + the music i have be for i ever new about P2P i got one ablum and that was a persunt i got from sum one but sis p2p then i have bort 2 abulms so if any think i bort more abulms sis i cood download them so if thay ever do stop p2p its going to be funny when thay say hay we stoped it but why we still loosing so much monny maybe cos u pay actoers like 30mill bucks and shit
    and thay say p2p and shit is sending them broke and shit i dont see it thay look rich to me lol
    Last edited by NightAss; 11-23-2005 at 09:23 AM.

9. News (Archive)   -   #9
    o yea i for got to say if torrent and MPAA link up to bring out movies and shit and TV shows its going to go crap u know why

most ppl wont wont to upload but we all know that but
    thay going to poot ads in the TV shows maybe and with movies i dont think thay going to bring it out to download be for its out at the cinermar maybe days or weeks later

so i cant see it working

i may pay 10c for a movie IF it was cuming from a 1gbs Server where i cood download at fool speed and that wood not slow down cos of 2 menny ppl downloading like it wood need be to be 1.5mb and up for me to even think about paying 10c

10. News (Archive)   -   #10
    Wow NightAss your spelling and grammar are terrible
    Systems Specs
    -----------------------------------
    O/S: Windows Xp Service Pack 2
    Processor: Intel Pentium 4
    Speed: 2.6 ghz
    Graphics: Nvidia Geforce 6800 128MB DDR SDRAM
    Ram: 1Gig of ram
    Comp Model: Hp Pavilion a250n
    -----------------------------------

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast